Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee resigns from Fine Gael and Dail!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

seamus wrote: »
    If anything I think it will strengthen Kenny's position internally because he didn't "capitulate" and promote the best man for the job, instead opting to maintain the oligarchy/cronyism that rules FF & FG.

Externally, yes it does, because it makes it appear that Kenny decided to take on a "star" candidate purely for the additional Dail seat but didn't intend to actually make use of his experience - which is no doubt why a lot of people voted for him.
    Thats a good analysis of the situation I would feel, given the experiences of myself and other members of AN in dealing with more established parties. Its almost impossible to make an impact on policy or ideas unless you're with the right family or from the right background within FF and FG, newcomers, even ones with the bona fides of Lee, have no chance of being heard.

This situation highlights the gulf between the elected and the electorate, I'm sorry to say, as if the backpedalling on the senior civil servants pay hadn't illustrated it enough.

Its a situation that must be addressed if we are ever to have a country that can be given the opportunity to reach its full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

He is on Newstalk now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

He's on the phone with Eamon Keane on newstalk right now.
    Sounds bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Very interesting. I reckon he is on his way to the greens.

In your dreams.................

Its intresting that for the mouthing he had on RTE about the correct way to run the country, Then when he got the chance the party that brought him into politics would not entertain any of his notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And how can he be an "independent voice" within our national broadcaster when he has just spent the last 9 months hammering the government from every angle he can . .

Absolutely, he can't return to a position of a commentator of any sort when as you say he clearly isn't independent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Just goes to show that what I have been saying on another forum is true. Fine Gael are not good enough to lead the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

imo I reckon Lee was betting on a General Election when he ran and thought he would be in Government as a Junior Minister by now. Life in opposition is rather tough and borring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

What does that say about FG!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Just goes to show that what I have been saying on another forum is true. Fine Gael are not good enough to lead the country.
    This has nothing to do with Fine Gael or FG policy.

It's a George Lee issue.

Easy come easy go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It looks like he expected too much, too soon. How did he expect as a new TD to shape FG economic policies in less than a year?

Fair play to him at least for resigning his Dail seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Because George Lee is Jesus ?

This story is getting tasty now ! Enda has mailed all the FG TDs saying he offered Lee a front bench role but wouldn't take it, Lee admitted to this but said it was only because he said he was leaving. Meow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That may well be true but FF and the Greens certainly aren't, big winner here imo is Labour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bit premature really, why did he expect to have any great influence in the party after 9 months? There's lots of educated Fine Gael TD's who have been there longer than he, and I'm sure they've got their own policy ideas that they'd like to see introduced. Did he expect to walk straight into a shadow ministry or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

on newstalk righth now

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here... back to RTE?

What about the recruitment ban ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thats a good thing though. FG are an awful party of the far right. I have more respect for the man now.

He could have still made a contribution as independent. If he hasn't the confidence in his own ability to facilitate change then he should have never ran in the first place. Listening to the news it comes across as someone who's thrown the toys out of the pram. Hugely disappointed in the way he has shirked his responsibility to the voters.

Hopefully this might be the end of Enda.

Big Lar wrote: »
    What about the recruitment ban ???

His previous position should still be open, isn't there some rule that a position must be held for a certain period of time if you decided to leave for public office or something like that ?

flanzer wrote: »
    Massive blow for FG. They quite clearly don't have a clue how to run the country and George knows that. The only way they'll come good out of this is, if Enda resigns and takes most of the front bench with him

Anyone think that Enda Kenny and Eamon Guilmore can run this country are in cloud cockco-land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

George Lee to FG- 'I'm a celebrity- get me outta here!!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jip wrote: »
    His previous position should still be open, isn't there some rule that a position must be held for a certain period of time if you decided to leave for public office or something like that ?

As others has said, and as he's admitted himself, he can't return to his previous role given his time with FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

From the interview on newstalk it just shows what a woeful leader Enda "A plank of wood has more charisma than me" Kenny is. No communication from top down. No Government and no opposition, no wonder the country is in a shambles. I'm sure George will saunter back into his cushy number in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a tit, or what an ego? Either way shocking piece of mis-judgement from someone who was supposedly in charge of a brain. Now he looks an idiot and FG look like they were stiffling talent so its a double loose. Well done lad.

I presume RTE won't be throwing the doors open to him for a while (not until the embarrasment has worn off quite a bit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

He could have still made a contribution as independent.
    Resigning his Dáil seat was a poor move alright, hes letting down the people who trusted him with their votes in the first place.

Looks like all the other boys would not let George play with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

As others has said, and as he's admitted himself, he can't return to his previous role given his time with FG.
    The last time I heard him on the radio (I think it was with Gerald Barry but it might have been News at One) a few weeks ago he made it quite clear that his position with RTE is still open.

He is still only on leave from RTE and technically I think they are obligated to take him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

This has nothing to do with Fine Gael or FG policy.

It's a George Lee issue.

Easy come easy go.

Nonsense . . Enda Kenny went out and recruited him into FG and has now lost him after only 9 months. . It has everything to do with FG and specifically, Enda Kenny's leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Anyone think that Enda Kenny and Eamon Guilmore can run this country are in cloud cockco-land.

Anyone who thinks Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan can run the country are in cloud cuckoo land.

But he can return to RTE.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    That may well be true but FF and the Greens certainly aren't, big winner here imo is Labour!

Believe me, if Labour get into power this country will go back nearly 50 years because not one of them has a clue what they are talking about. They will back rubt the place, driving the minuimum wage through the roof in a time when it should be cut to about half of what it is. Maybe if the cost of labour was lower maybe we might get more big companies to come in and create jobs instead of driving them out.

Advertisement