Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athiest Evangelising?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm sure you're prepared to put your hand in your pocket to support the promotion of your beliefs so.

There appears to be an implicit assumption that last sentence that you snuck in that education=enlightenment, which leads to atheism. But you're entitled to that firmly held belief and I respect that.

Rationality and science lead to atheism, since theistic belief is ultimately just wishful thinking.

Humans started believing the sun was a god and that rain was divine ... eventually truth wins out, it always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

There are some very explicit studies which show pretty conclusively that atheism is directly correlated with education and intelligence; that is, smarter and better educated people are more likely to be atheists.

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence%20&%20religion.htm

I assume that study from 1999 is limited to the scientific community?

As someone with a master's in science, I find it as no surprise that there is a greater incidence of atheists in the scientific community than in the general population, especially when you consider that scientific discovery is a fundamental tenant of an atheist's belief system.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Rationality and science lead to atheism, since theistic belief is ultimately just wishful thinking.
    What a daring sentence. Oh look, I'm in the atheism and agnosticism forum!
    Humans started believing the sun was a god and that rain was divine ... eventually truth wins out, it always does.
    Ah, so there is a Truth. We just haven't "discovered it scientifically" yet! I'll look out for the Truth in my studies and report back to you if I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

But you're entitled to that firmly held belief and I respect that.

It is a regrettable fact that a very great many religious people use their religion as a placeholder for gaps in their understanding. The God of the gaps has existed since man first started praying to a bonfire or begging the stars for help. The existence of life, the beauty of nature, the origin of the world, the meaning of death, the appearance of freewill...all these things have been and are still used as excuses to prop up an untenable supernatural worldview. So yes, in many ways education dispels this false logic.

It is also regrettable that the vast majority of religious people possess those beliefs due to poor reasoning ability. Argument from ignorance/fear/popularity and a litany of other fallacies. Again, education reduces this.

It also helps that the statistics are on my side. The more educated a person is the less likely they are to be religious. Both by individual and by nation.

Zillah wrote: »
    It is a regrettable fact that a very great many religious people use their religion as a placeholder for gaps in their understanding. The God of the gaps has existed since man first started praying to a bonfire or begging the stars for help. The existence of life, the beauty of nature, the origin of the world, the meaning of death, the appearance of freewill...all these things have been and are still used as excuses to prop up an untenable supernatural worldview. So yes, in many ways education dispels this false logic.

It is also regrettable that the vast majority of religious people possess those beliefs due to poor reasoning ability. Argument from ignorance/fear/popularity and a litany of other fallacies. Again, education reduces this.

It also helps that the statistics are on my side. The more educated a person is the less likely they are to be religious. Both by individual and by nation.

This is a thread on evangelising, not your perceptions of Christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I assume that study from 1999 is limited to the scientific community?

Yes, but the other 20 or 30 studies listed are not.

What is your scientific field, might I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What a daring sentence. Oh look, I'm in the atheism and agnosticism forum!

Well I can post it in the soccer forum if you like :rolleyes:
    Ah, so there is a Truth. We just haven't "discovered it scientifically" yet! I'll look out for the Truth in my studies and report back to you if I find it.

I doubt you will. You seem content with your delusion.

This is a thread on evangelising, not your perceptions of Christianity.

Jawohl Moderator DogmaticLefty!

Also, screw you. We're speaking about evangelising, I mentioned education as the best means to promote atheism and so I explained why that was the case. You might not like hearing how ridiculous your zombie-jew faith is, but that's kind of a naive attitude when posting on this forum.

I doubt you will. You seem content with your delusion.

Sure next you'll be claiming that all science published by Christians should be put in the bin. Should there be a little box that you tick when submitting a paper to a journal do you think?

There are Catholic priests working at CERN you know.

Zillah wrote: »
    Also, screw you.

When you calm down, I might consider responding to you. For now, I'm taking a break from engaging with you.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the other 20 or 30 studies listed are not.

What is your scientific field, might I ask?

I have a master's in condensed matter physics. Currently in computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Sure next you'll be claiming that all science published by Christians should be put in the bin.

That's a nice straw man you've constructed there, but I think you'll find no one said anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Sure next you'll be claiming that all science published by Christians should be put in the bin. Should there be a little box that you tick when submitting a paper to a journal do you think?

Stop being a troll. Such a stupid statement is just plain stupid. I don't think you actually think we think that. Having silly beliefs doesn't make it impossible to do good science, and no one has even intimated otherwise.

When you calm down, I might consider responding to you. For now, I'm taking a break from engaging with you.

I'm perfectly calm. One can be calm and insulting at the same time. I am merely expressing my disdain for your backseat moderating and obvious desire to avoid the issue. Which is understandable considering that you're wrong.

Such a stupid statement is just plain stupid. I don't think you actually think we think that. Having silly beliefs doesn't make it impossible to do good science, and no one has even intimated otherwise.

Having silly beliefs certainly makes it impossible to do good theology :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That's because you're not as passionate about your beliefs. Would you have the confidence to go out and try and convert the general public to a minority's way of thinking? Perhaps it's easier to read Dawkins and aspire to be an internet message forum hero.

That is just yet more complete & utter bollocks.

It has nothing to do with a lack of passion (I don't have beliefs btw, if you'd bother your ar$e reading the thread rather than just trolling, you'd know that). Neither do I post to be some kind of hero (heroine ;)), the thanks are because others feel the same way and find your posts equally as asinine, but obviously you would rather blame something or someone else than face up to that rather unsavoury truth.

I don't care if other people want to worship the moon or god or each other, I DON'T CARE. I have no interest in converting the general public, unlike religion, I just want people to think about what they are doing and why and recognised and legislated equality in state situations. I'm not sure in how many ways I can say that before it sinks in. I care about the implications that having to live in a non-secular society means to me & mine, the ridiculous pretence of canteen catholicism that exists here that propagates so many issues. I enjoy having intelligent debate with either theists or atheists, parents, teenagers, etc, on any number of other forums on this site - but that's not what's happening here - much as you would like to think otherwise.

It's tiresome and tedious and irritating (etc, etc) to have to deal with a constant stream of ignorant aggression from people who deliberately come onto this forum with some kind of warped agenda based on their own narrow mindedness and lack of experience of, or with, atheists & agnostics thinking they are so clever and quick-witted. If it makes you feel more important to blame the reaction to your own inflammatory and condescending comments on some kind of personal crusade of mine then by all means do that, I don't care about that either. It's patently obvious for all to see what you are and what you are doing.

You are just one of many who post on this forum, hell this board, every week spouting the same tiresome drivel and much of the reaction you get stems from weary frustration of the never ending revolving door of dishonest, disingenuous sameness, not because you make anything that resembles a reasonable point. *shrugs*

What's "canteen Catholicism"? Now there's one I haven't heard before. I'll bet you get really mad underneath when the Trocaire box is left in a prominent location in the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What's "canteen Catholicism"? Now there's one I haven't heard before. I'll bet you get really mad underneath when the Trocaire box is left in a prominent location in the canteen.

I know it throws me into such a rage only devouring a baby would calm me down.
    I expect it's going to get worse over lent, so lock away your babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Canteen, pick and mix, take the confirmation money, wedding and funeral and never enter a church again...live together before getting married and have the white wedding, get drunk and beat the wife and always go to mass, that kind of idea.

I don't eat in a canteen so no, wrong. If I did, a charity collection box would hardly make me mad, wrong again. Shockeroonies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rather than throwing out cards for flared tempers and probable trolling, I think this abomination of a thread has run it's course.

See you all on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Having silly beliefs certainly makes it impossible to do good theology :pac:
    No doubt.

But all the same, having silly beliefs certainly does make it very easy to do theology adequate to the needs of the church.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement