Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart economy mar dhea - student grants

Options
  • 08-02-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Well, 2500 students have not yet recieved a grant - so much for the smart economy.

My family went through hoops to get college funding years ago, not much has changed.
    VEC and local authorities are still processing, I thought the local autorities were meant to be taken out of the equation years ago.

It seems they like to sit on the money and keep it in the accounts for a while - dont know if that is for audits or for interest.

The biggest dissappointment was Paul Gogarty, self pity and self justification, whinging and whining but still voting for cuts on education - and they still cant deliver the grants on time.

Wait till next term when the increased numbers come onstream

q100000161740659_8484.jpg
    amhrannua.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

arent "they" on a work to rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

The smart economy is just a sound bite. There has been no real evidence that research funding has increased and they are cutting many areas in education. There is also the policy of an export led economy. I think the government are combining these two strategies for recovery to great effect- exporting graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

simonj wrote: »
    Well, 2500 students have not yet recieved a grant - so much for the smart economy.

It seems they like to sit on the money and keep it in the accounts for a while - dont know if that is for audits or for interest.

They're not sitting on the money, county councils announced at the start of first semester this year that they would not be giving out the grants until the govt gave them the money. In the past they've given them out in advance and waited to be paid back by the govt, which has lost them money. Also, was this a party political broadcast or why did you include your link at the end?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

They're not sitting on the money, county councils announced at the start of first semester this year that they would not be giving out the grants until the govt gave them the money.
    There's also the question of reduced staff and a seriously increased workload. I know that just in Co. Wicklow VEC they are down to two staff members processing applications but the number of applications has doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

They're not sitting on the money, county councils announced at the start of first semester this year that they would not be giving out the grants until the govt gave them the money. In the past they've given them out in advance and waited to be paid back by the govt, which has lost them money. Also, was this a party political broadcast or why did you include your link at the end?

This is not the first time councils have dragged their feet, its not the first time they have delayed - its also the gross incompatancy that gets to me in the CoCo's.

AN is a new group that is developing into a political party, I got involved because I am sick and tired of the two party system here

amhrannua.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This is not the first time councils have dragged their feet, its not the first time they have delayed - its also the gross incompatancy that gets to me in the CoCo's.

You haven't provided a shred of evidence to back up your assertions about why they are delayed, and you op seems pretty baseless to me.
    AN is a new group that is developing into a political party, I got involved because I am sick and tired of the two party system here
    Does that mean every post from you should be treated as a party political broadcast? If so does your op indicate the level of research inherent in your party machine?

You haven't provided a shred of evidence to back up your assertions about why they are delayed, and you op seems pretty baseless to me.

Its too much to go into, but a fair few years back, my sis had major problems with the grant - which ended up at the ombudsman. Galway coco really were useless, and not much has changed.
    This was meant to be changed, but it seems with so many delayed grants that nothing has changed.

Does that mean every post from you should be treated as a party political broadcast? If so does your op indicate the level of research inherent in your party machine?

No

My family went through hoops to get college funding years ago, not much has changed.
    VEC and local authorities are still processing, I thought the local autorities were meant to be taken out of the equation years ago.

The biggest dissappointment was Paul Gogarty, self pity and self justification, whinging and whining but still voting for cuts on education - and they still cant deliver the grants on time.

Wait till next term when the increased numbers come onstream

amhrannua.com

Believe me I would love to be able to get the grant. I'm living on almost nothing at the moment, and the only reason I can attend college is because I'm living at home. Thank goodness, the college library is well stocked, and plenty of the facilities are subsidised cause I could never afford all the extra expenses otherwise.

However, a bit of realism here... Where is the money supposed to come from? Our economy is buggered, our government in trouble, too much expenses/spending across the board, etc and thats been going on forever. Its not going to change any time soon.

Simply put, there is no money to be spent in this area. Perhaps you would be better off focusing your efforts on improving our country's income rather than seeking to increase the expenses?

Grants have been budgeted for already have they not?
    And whatever we say or do now - with the go slow semi strike spreading, a real concern is that the problems faced by students and their families will be compounded when funds are made available.

Advertisement