Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for a tent to keep the sun out (in France)

Options
  • 08-02-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't know should I post here or travel, but here makes more sense.

Lo all.

I'll be camping in Clisson, France, for a weekend in June (Hellfest). Last year I camped, the tent kept me dry, but once the sun came up (8:30am without fail) the tent became a sauna. But for a €20 tent, I wasn't expecting much, other than to be kept dry.

This year, I'm looking for a tent with a better quality cover. One which the sun doesn't heat up, so that I can sleep in a bit in the mornings.

Would prefer getting the info from someone who has/had a tent like this, rather than going into a tent store, and not finding out if the tent works or not until I'm over there.

Alternatively, what sort of cover could I drape over my existing tent to stop the sun making the tent a sauna? I like being well rested, and being well rested goes hand-in-hand with a sleep in in my book (it's a festival, with the best bands on late, so an "early night" is not an option).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

haven't ever come across a tent that won't heat up tbh.

Best bet I reckon is 4 stakes and a sheet of dark tarpaulin just above the tent to block most of the sun. Leave door open but flysheet closed. Or if possible pitch it under trees or other suitable cover

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

haven't ever come across a tent that won't heat up tbh.

Best bet I reckon is 4 stakes and a sheet of dark tarpaulin just above the tent to block most of the sun. Leave door open but flysheet closed. Or if possible pitch it under trees or other suitable cover
    Aye, that's the general plan. Will be getting a 4 pole gazebo, and place it over the tent. Will hopefull be camping near trees, to ensure max coverage, so hopefully it'll go well.

As for a tent that doesn't heat up, I remember from my scouting years, the (traditional green canvas "Icelandic") tents couldn't heat up. The material that was used kept the heat in, or out, as the case may be. It was extrememly thick and heavy meterial. Wouldn't mind getting some such material to place over the tent, but I'd be afraid it might not take the strain (heavy material is heavy).

We still use Icelandics, great tent.

Used them in France one year on summer camp, they got quite hot during the day but were a lot slower to heat up in the first place.

Bit impractical for you though I'd imagine, weighing so much

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bit impractical for you though I'd imagine, weighing so much
    Aye. If I could find out what the material was, I may purchase it, but at the same time, I'm largly thinking of pitching a gazebo over the tent, to shield out the sun, and to give me a bit of breathing space should I pop my head out of the tent.

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye. If I could find out what the material was, I may purchase it, but at the same time, I'm largly thinking of pitching a gazebo over the tent, to shield out the sun, and to give me a bit of breathing space should I pop my head out of the tent.

its made from heavy canvas thats treated with some form of waterproof, not sure what though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd think twice about bring an Icelandic(or that materiel) to a festival.

I've honestly never seen anything burn quite as fast as one of those.

May look bit daft but... A beach umbrella to shade the tent?
    Cheap, practical and light weight.

Checks all the boxes.

Advertisement