Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New second hand car expenses 2010

• 08-02-2010 2:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi I am about to get full driving license (hopefully) and thinking about buying second hand car. I am confused about what it will cost all together. I would like to buy small car (1.2) like nissan micra ,opel corsa or fiat punto from 2000. I am 28 years old female and its gonna be my first car. If anyone could enlighten me what kind of taxes ,insurances I will have to pay I would be thankful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

the rates for tax are here
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2009_en.pdf

the insurance should be under 1000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Thanks guil. Under 1000eu? That's a lot. Any suggestions about insurance company choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

Like most things - shop around - Quinn are competitive in price but vheck with the other main companies and you can lessen the load of insurance by going 3rd party instead of fully comprehensive.

great time to be buying with cash only, haggle like crazy!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

You'll be looking at around €1300 (TPF&T) for insurance if you've never been insured before. Which is quite good for a first car.

Thanks everyone.
    Thats crazy! I was going to spend about that much on car and it looks like it's going to be double. :/
    What's the point of insuring car worth 1200eu with 1200eu insurance?
    Sorry, I dont know anything about car thats why I am so surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

surime wrote: »
    The point is that you have to do it, if you want to drive you have no choice but to be insured. The only thing you can do is shop around for the best price. I'm sure if insurance wasn't compulsory prices would suddenly be a lot cheaper, but it is so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

i got my licence at 25(male) and quinn gave insurance for 700 euro, it was on a 1 litre polo, tax on a polo is 120 euro,stick with a small as car as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ya think that's bad. I paid 200 for my first car and the insurance was 3800 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Sorry, I dont know anything about car thats why I am so surprised.

You are (mainly) not insuring your car with TPF&T but any thing/body you might (hopefuly not) hit/damage.

As others said, ring around... 123.ie, quinn direct, brokers,...
    The annual fee will start drop once you have a policy of your own (are you by any chance a named driver at the moment? that would help to bring down costs too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Britton Insurance are good for first time insurance. Do you have a learner or full license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely a 28 yo girl can get a better price than 1000 on a small car? Having said that, I paid 2.5k punts on my first car in 2000.
    Anyway, you are looking at
    car purchase (€1000),
    insurance(€1000),
    tax(€250approx),
    fuel(about 80miles per €10),
    maintenance per year, 1 service, 4 tyres, and some odd jobs at best maybe €500 total

So minimum cost for year one would be about 4k including fuel for 10,000 miles.
    Additional years costing 3k as long as car keeps going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

insurance is mainly to cover legal and medical expenses rather than car repairs/replacement.Think of it that way. It will soon come down as you arent a kid and are female and are looking at a sensible sized first car. Enjoy and best of luck with test.

guil wrote: »
    Ya think that's bad. I paid 200 for my first car and the insurance was 3800 euro

what??? :)

-thanks again everyone ,by the way which of these you think will be better:

- nissan micra
    -fiat punto
    -opel corsa
    -renault clio ?

-and I dont have full license yet ,hopefully will past test soon.

-ok, maybe polo from 1998? :/ but they are so ugly! ;)

- nissan micra
    -fiat punto
    -opel corsa
    -renault clio ?

Micra or a Corsa, better chance of getting a good one for a grand than the other two.

-thanks RoverJames.
    Isn't micra tiny inside? (dog, moving house sometimes)

The other option you mentioned are not much bigger. If I was you I would find a Ford Ka, a good one will be less trouble than the other cars you have mentioned, they are light on fuel and cheap to maintain.

Not much good for moving house though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Avoid the Polo at all costs.

- but isn't ford K more expensive?

- ok, I just checked :

http://www.carsireland.ie/search-results.php?make_id=26&model_id=257&reg_year=2000

-looks like they have 1.3 engine size -what difference does it make with insurance? I mean between 1.2 and 1.3 ?

• Advertisement

- ok, I just checked :

http://www.carsireland.ie/search-results.php?make_id=26&model_id=257&reg_year=2000

-looks like they have 1.3 engine size -what difference does it make with insurance? I mean between 1.2 and 1.3 ?

They are very insurance friendly, my sister was in your position a few years ago and found the Ka no bother at all to insure, she was 27 or 28 with a provisional and no driving experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

If you get insurance for in or around a grand you will be doing pretty ok I reckon OP. I started driving at 20 years old on a full license and my insurance was 2,200 for basic TPF&T. That was on a car van. If it was a 4/5 seater car I could bump that figure up by at least 7-800 Euro (even for a Fiat Sceinto). If I was on a provisional license I could bump that figure up by at least another 1,000 Euro again.

Of the cars on your shortlist the Micra would be my pick of the bunch as long as its pre 2002 model. Others could potentially be troublesome enough really. Do bear in mind that none of the cars you mention are exactly roomy so Micra wouldn't be on its own there. My sister has a Yaris and its pretty hard to fault as small cars go but you would probably need to bump up that budget somewhat I'd imagine. Any of the cars you mention wont exactly be a great companion if you have a long commute.

Another option in this regard is a car derived van such as a corolla van/ Golf van. I started of driving a Renault Megavan and it was somewhat cheaper for me to insure it than even a 1.0 litre polo at the time, reason being is it only has two seats. Even though it was 1.9 litre diesel it wasn't severly expensive to tax as it was taxed commercially...memory a bit sketchy but about 250 to 300 euro odd as far as I recall. The flip side is you will only be able to carry one passenger at best and do bear in mind that some insurance companies will not touch them with a barge pole. However, if they will insure one privately they should quote you pretty reasonably or at least such used to be the case when I first started driving. Other drawbacks are you will probably have to go back a few years older from what you are looking at now to get a decent one, choice will be more limited and a fair percentage of them will be trashed by over enthusiastic young drivers! I would strongly suggest you avoid the Megavan though or even anything French. No doubt I will be shot down for that point but in my experience anything French I've came across has being troublesome. The car van idea might not be for you at all but said I'd throw the idea out at you all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

- but isn't ford K more expensive?

i would assume theres a reason for that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

Either way, adjust your budget for your car,

with the freedom of driving comes insurance, tax, fuel costs, maintenance..

all good stuff :)

Advertisement