Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy 'how to' make your own salami.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No Saltpetre/curing salts? I know it's a hot topic but botulism is hard to recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They give a quantity of 25g of salt per 1kg of meat.

kylith wrote: »
    They give a quantity of 25g of salt per 1kg of meat.

I know, but salt and saltpetre are not the same.
    Curing salts have an element of saltpetre in them and are probably easier to use then straight saltpetre not to mention easier to get.
    The salami looks dark because there is no saltpetre in it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I know, but salt and saltpetre are not the same.
    Curing salts have an element of saltpetre in them and are probably easier to use then straight saltpetre not to mention easier to get.
    The salami looks dark because there is no saltpetre in it.
    Ah, I see what you mean. I may not try this then...

I don't mean to put you off.
    I am all for making salami's sausages, biltong, jerky etc, great fun and very rewarding but I would advise caution with any cured meats that don't have saltpetre primarily because botulim is so dangerous.
    I think that article should at least have mentioned it because the last thing that will encourage salami makers is the report of the death of one of their numbers from botulism.
    I know people that make their own hams and salamis with no Saltpetre but they are experienced.
    I would suggest making fresh sausages as a better introduction to the charcuterie hobby. Then graduate to Salami.

• Advertisement

Any idea where I could get curing salts so? I love giving my family food as gifts, and this would be perfect.

Sausagemaking.co.uk, Weschenfelders.
    There is a fantastic book from Amazon called Charcuterie by Michael Ruhl, well worth getting if you are getting into this.

Advertisement