Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business name for Sole Trader VAT

• 08-02-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I'm just about to register for VAT through RT1 as a Sole Trader buy I'm not sure if I need to register a business name first.

Do I need a business name before registering for VAT?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sole traders trading under other name than their own name must register the trading name with the CRO. You can do it quickly online via core.ie for 20 euros, although it might take a while to get it officially registered and certificate issued.

Give a Revenue a quick call to confirm whether you could go ahead with tax registration while waiting the trading name gets registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Great, thanks MartMax.

Also, this might be a stupid question but, if I trade under my own name can I still advertise under whatever name I want, have a website with a name for my business, have a sign with a name above my premises etc?

Or is that the whole idea of registering a business name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

From CRO.ie
    Registration of a business name is obligatory if any individual or partnership (whether composed of individuals or bodies corporate or any combination of both) or any body corporate carries on business under a name other than their own true names. Its purpose is to make public the identities of those individual(s), partnerships or corporate bodies being the legal entity behind the business name.

Advertisement