Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun recommendation

Options
  • 08-02-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

Just getting started with my licensing. Going down the club route as I don't have access to land.

Anyhow - I'm off to see what sort of shotgun I'm going to buy initially. Im going after game birds and some clay shooting aswell.

I was looking at the Baikal mp153. Anyone use this before? What do you think of such a gun in comparison with the O/U baikal or similar?

Also - sticking in for 500 rounds on the application - should I go higher?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

Bill,
    What might I ask do you want to do with the gun? Baikal's are not bad, however, there are better. If it is your first shotgun, then you'll be fine.

If you are going to be doing pheasant shooting - upland game sort, the side by side (sxs) is the classic shotgun. However, sxs shotguns are a bit more technical to make (barrels focus) and may be a bit trickier to shoot.

For clay pigeons, I like the over under combos (o/u). They are simply two barrels pointing straight and you just have to lead out.

For ducks I would choose a semi auto. Also, if you plan on doing a bit of everything, the auto is probably your best all around choice.

I cannot speak to the particular Baikal model you mention. However, I am familiar with the CZ 712 - nice gun, nothing pretty, just a good workhorse. If you can step up to a Remington 1100 or 1187, they are probably the best way to go.

How much do you want to spend? Keep in mind that this may be a once in a lifetime purchase. A benelli SBE or Winchester SX3 may be worth your while.

Again, I think the CZ712 is the most bang for the buck - no pun intended. However, you should also see what dealers are local to your area. Get a 28" barrel with removable chokes.

Give us an idea of the Baikal's cost.

Oh yeah,
    Page 27 of the Guidlines
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/commissioners%20guidelines%204.pdf
    says 500 - 750 for the shotgun. I would go with 1000, definitely no less than 750.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Billz

James,

Thanks for that.

The baikal O/u was about 500 and the mp153 was about 600 new. The semi auto definitely seems to be looking the better choice. I'll have a look at those other shotguns you suggested

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It's probably heavier than a Beretta, and doesn't look as nice, but, it does the job just as well IMO, if you can shoot it ;) I've never had a cart fail to cycle in mine. I treat it like crap yet love it to death :)

Billz,
    I have the Baikal IZH-27 o/u. The auto extractors were a bit funky, rounds were slipping down into them and getting stuck. I sent it back to the company and they fixed the extractors and replaced my forestock - free of charge. This was a few years after the original purchase.

One way I judge a company is the way they take care of thier customers. Baikal did well by me so I would recommend them.

It sounds as if your choice is really going to be more style: classic sportsman - over and under, always fun - there's something about breaking open the action or more modern shotgun with the extra shot. Personally, I don't like three shots: if you haven't hit them with the first two...

Where is the Auto made? Often the Eastern countries farm out there Autos to Turkey, which is where the CZ 712 is made. I had a problem with the CZ and they also took very good care of me.

I would base my decision on the ease of access through a local dealer. If there's a Baikal nearby, then go with it.

I do kind of like that auto...

• Advertisement
Advertisement