Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you work, have a dog & a back garden in the Galway area?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I have a lovely Labrador (~60 lbs, so small for a Lab) who is very friendly and loves to play but we don't have a fenced in backyard.

I'd love to get him playing with another dog of similar size & activity level.

If you work and would like your dog to get out for a midday wee and playtime, then maybe we could work something out?

The garden doesn't have to be huge or anything, just fenced in.

PM me if you're interested :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Oh, I rent unfortunately and getting dog soon. It's very hard to find nice house where dogs are allowed. There should be fenced "run" or something like this in parks -there is many places like this where i come from.
    But you have a great idea -kind of "dogs afterschool" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It's nearly impossible to find rental accomodation that allows pets.

We got extremely lucky with our current place.

I'd say you'd have better luck renting in Oranmore or one of the smaller satellite towns around Galway City, but that only works if you have a car. (If you have a dog it's a very good idea to have a car though - emergencies and getting the dog to the kennel if you're going out of town)

Yeah ,I know -I cant wait to get my driving license! We will be able to go to country for weekends then! :(

-it's crazy how they not allow pets even in some completely crap houses -ridiculous! I've seen one house with nice green secure back yard -house itself was pretty old and simple inside and they said no to dog! Some people would do more damage and by the way I said I will pay for anything what could possible be destroyed.

If you were a landlord, would you take a person with a pet or a person without a pet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

I am a landlord (overseas), and I figured that since I had a cat, and had put in a cat door when I was there, it was reasonable to allow tenants to have a cat. I've even allowed two at times.

But I wouldn't allow a dog, big clumsy things that they are ... sorry Xiney, I'm sure yours is different ;)

BUT it's different here where the landlord owns the furniture, and lots of rentals have leather sofas: they're worried about damage that a an animal might do to far, far more than just the house.

I would take person with references and I could see if someone is responsible -doesn't matter with or without dog. Some people are clean and and tidy and they keep house in good condition. We always care -air rooms and bathroom every day, clean oven after every cooking. If any mould appears, we spray it and paint it. I rent apartment myself where I come from and people there have dog -dont mind it at all ,couse I know they are ok. If they dog will eat our sofa ,they will pay for it -simple is that. The same way I thought I will agree with somebody here ,but irish people doasnt seem to be used to keep dogs in houses/apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Michifuz

Cats I would accept...

unJustMary wrote: »
    I am a landlord (overseas), and I figured that since I had a cat, and had put in a cat door when I was there, it was reasonable to allow tenants to have a cat. I've even allowed two at times.

But I wouldn't allow a dog, big clumsy things that they are ... sorry Xiney, I'm sure yours is different ;)

BUT it's different here where the landlord owns the furniture, and lots of rentals have leather sofas: they're worried about damage that a an animal might do to far, far more than just the house.

-JustMay ,I would say cats can do lots more damage! ;) they scratch a lot!

I totally understand the concerns that landlords have.

But I think you have to meet the people (and maybe the pets?) before you can judge. There are definitely people with pets that I wouldn't let to, but that's more down to the people than the pets usually.

And my dog is big, dumb and clumsy. But he's never caused any major damage - he ate a dustpan once (read: dumb) but I replaced it. He also sleeps in a dog crate when I'm out of the house and not able to keep an eye on him. Otherwise he probably would do some damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's usually a bigger issue than just wanting your house kept clean etc. You have to consider the people living next to your house. Neighbours will complain to the landlord if the dog is barking and alot of people,particularly those with young kids and old people, do not want to live next door to a big dog like a lab.

When I told the prospective landlady that the dog is not much of a barker (which is true, although he's not mute either) she rolled her eyes and said that wouldn't be a problem - the neighbors to the side of us have around half a dozen dogs that bark all day long. I guess she figured it couldn't get any worse!

Xiney wrote: »
    I totally understand the concerns that landlords have.

But I think you have to meet the people (and maybe the pets?) before you can judge. There are definitely people with pets that I wouldn't let to, but that's more down to the people than the pets usually.

And my dog is big, dumb and clumsy. But he's never caused any major damage - he ate a dustpan once (read: dumb) but I replaced it. He also sleeps in a dog crate when I'm out of the house and not able to keep an eye on him. Otherwise he probably would do some damage.

-oh, I would never leave my dog prisoned in a crate, I think thats awful. :/

you should read about crate training. it's a surrogate for the dog's den. When crate training is done properly, dogs love their crate. It's a quiet space where they can rest and feel safe.

- isn't dog's bed better for feeling safe? Maybe you are right ,but I am not sure if i like it.. (?)

His bed is in the crate. The crate is dark and enclosed - dogs like that, it's calming.

Maybe ,but I would never lock it. For how long do you leave your dog locked in this cage?
    I know people do lots of mistakes with dogs ,like my mum for ex. she spoiled our dog up to this point that she was (dog) ;) barking at my boyfriend when he sat on the dogs favorite chair. That's crazy -or she was sitting at the dining table ,because my mum was feeling sorry for her that she was "excluded" from family dinner! ;) But I dont think I could ever be a big fan of any kind of crates or cages -no. :/

Not allowing pets is one thing but I remember a friend of mine was looking for a place with his gf in Galway. They viewed one place and the landlady refused to rent them the room as she was "against that sort of thing" :rolleyes:. That sort of thing being a young unmarried couple living together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

All my dogs are crate trained before I rehome them. Properly introduced they love it and ask to go into it. It's their retreat and no one is to disturb them whilst they are in it. I also use crates when transporting dogs, they are used to the crate and even if they are not used to travelling, it will make it much more stress free for them.

It's brilliant to toilet train a pup, get dogs slowly introduced to each other, for sick dogs or dogs after OP's. It has nothing to do with punishment.

Not allowing pets is one thing but I remember a friend of mine was looking for a place with his gf in Galway. They viewed one place and the landlady refused to rent them the room as she was "against that sort of thing" :rolleyes:. That sort of thing being a young unmarried couple living together.

lol :p I remember when I was studying some friends of mine put camera in their rented room in some elderly "lady" house and when they where gone for weekend they recorded her sneaking around their room going through private stuff with her neighbour and talkin about this "sort of thing" it was on you tube actually! :eek:

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    All my dogs are crate trained before I rehome them. Properly introduced they love it and ask to go into it. It's their retreat and no one is to disturb them whilst they are in it. I also use crates when transporting dogs, they are used to the crate and even if they are not used to travelling, it will make it much more stress free for them.

It's brilliant to toilet train a pup, get dogs slowly introduced to each other, for sick dogs or dogs after OP's. It has nothing to do with punishment.

-ok ,but do you leave them locked when not at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

chilly wrote: »
    do not want to live next door to a big dog like a lab.

A big Lab?! They are the friendliest nicest dogs in the world. They're great with young kids and have an excellent temperament.

I'd be more concerned with a cranky little Jack Russel. I had one for 14 years and I nearly died when he passed away but god he was cranky. They have very human like personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

surime wrote: »
    -ok ,but do you leave them locked when not at home?

I do at any rate. When I'm not at home, that means one of the home helps is in with my grandmother and quite frankly, I'm not about to take the chance that someone leaves a door open and my dogs get out. We live near a busy road and I want them safe and secure. They're quite happy in their crate, they go into it without a fuss and settle down very easily because they're conditioned to think of it as a safe cosy place.
    They get plenty of exercise and stimulation when they're out of the crate so as soon as they go in, they get their treat and end up falling asleep.

To be honest, I'd sooner lock my dogs in a crate in my warm living room with their freshly laundered dog beds than lock them in a cold shed because they have to be out of harms way when I'm not there.

Well, for sure it doesn't do any harm to them ,but I dont like it any way. Sound's like prison to me not like "cosy place". For how long do you keep them locked?

Ideally, a dog wouldn't be kept in the crate more than a couple of hours. However, he doesn't mind being in there longer because it's his happy place - so if I have to be out of the house for an afternoon he's perfectly fine.

- "couple of hours" is definitely more then 2-3 -yes? I started reading about what you call "crate training" and everywhere I looked "not more then 2 hours" was mentioned. Sorry, but I think it's just for your convenience.. Would you like to sit in cage the whole afternoon?
    I dont think I will do any "crate training" ,my dog will be free. (doesn't mean not trained)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I think that the extent to which crating is advocated in some American circles is over-the-top. Many crate their toilet-trained dogs for 8 hours at a stretch or even more.

The over-use of crating is a but a fad which will pass once most people get sensible.

That said, it is certainly good for puppy toilet-training, for post-operative recovery, whilst washing one's floors and other brief respites. I'd say two hours crating per session should be the maximum for a healthy, toilet-trained, normally-behaved dog.

I think that the extent to which crating is advocated in some American circles is over-the-top. Many crate their toilet-trained dogs for 8 hours at a stretch or even more.

The over-use of crating is a but a fad which will pass once most people get sensible.

That said, it is certainly good for puppy toilet-training, for post-operative recovery, whilst washing one's floors and other brief respites. I'd say two hours crating per session should be the maximum for a healthy, toilet-trained, normally-behaved dog.

I agree. Just read about crates and how great they are and that you could keep dog for about 8 hours a day in it! Thats crazy -I would never ever do this! Dogs like to change place and to be keept for few hours at home thats enough for them -not to mention beeing keept in a small crate! My dog loved to sit on the window to watch what was going on outside or to go to the kitchen where floor was cooler or to jump on the chair when she was cold. Thats not right to dont let them do so!
    I will consider buying crate just for giving dog his own place where he can hide ( I would cover it with blanket partially) , but I will never lock him in it -even for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

surime wrote: »
    I agree. Just read about crates and how great they are and that you could keep dog for about 8 hours a day in it! Thats crazy -I would never ever do this! Dogs like to change place and to be keept for few hours at home thats enough for them -not to mention beeing keept in a small crate! My dog loved to sit on the window to watch what was going on outside or to go to the kitchen where floor was cooler or to jump on the chair when she was cold.

That's exactly what every dog I know likes to do: move away a distance of at least 5 feet maybe every hour or so. Crating doesn't allow the kind of movement that is natural to them.

People are gradually moving away from zoo-like traditional animal confinement practices. The over-use of crating is a backward step towards these cruel and discredited practices.

Just because crating for hours on end (I see nothing wrong with a very limited use of crating) is widely advocated in some loud circles doesn't make it right.

Just because the dog gets institutionalized in its crate and ceases to complain about it doesn't make it right.

Yes, they love watching the world pass outside the window: it's the dog equivalent of reading or watching T.V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't have a dog at the moment but have had dogs, and lived with other people's dogs throughout my life. Dogs have individual personalities, so to say *all* dogs like freedom to wander round or *all dogs* like hiding or whatever isn't always accurate.

When I was little, my parents had to get rid of a dog as he was really out of control. We got him full grown from someone, and we were moving at the time. He destroyed everything in sight, and did the 'pack' thing with me and protected me at all costs, even to the point of not letting my mother near me (I was about 4 so this wasn't good!).

On the 'wanting space' thing, another dog we had HATED open spaces, he was a bit nervous, but very sweet. He loved curling up in the built in wardrobe, on his own or playing, and with the door closed. He could push it open with his head, but usually stayed in there for a few hours at least.
    He preferred being on a lead too, and the only place he loved to run was the beach, so we took him there almost every day.

I don't know much about crating, but I do know that some dogs love being in 'safe' dark places, and others do nothing but tear around in circles!:p

Advertisement