Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feature Feedback?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

We've been adding some extra functionality to http://dropped.ie over the last few days and are looking for some feedback

Basically the area we're making changes is in relation to searching for names / name generation.

Take a look at: http://dropped.ie/?keyword=films&id=search&s=1

We can tweak the non-IE domain results and search options quite a bit ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Are the .com results displaying real-time availability? I searched for a term, clicked on a .com name and the purchase option page informed me that this .com name is not available to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Are the .com results displaying real-time availability? I searched for a term, clicked on a .com name and the purchase option page informed me that this .com name is not available to register.
    The first set of results should be available domains only...

It shouldn't show domains that are not available

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

The domain name in question is GetOnto.com, which is available on this search results page: http://dropped.ie/?keyword=buy&id=search&s=1

The site itself is cool. Really like the idea.

The domain name in question is GetOnto.com, which is available on this search results page: http://dropped.ie/?keyword=buy&id=search&s=1

The site itself is cool. Really like the idea.
    I'm looking into this. It's meant to show only available domains, but there might be some kind of cache that I wasn't aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The biggest impression I get there is that the search box is prett hidden. I think you should make the search far more prominent, and also use ajax to make it very responsive, perhaps even filtering as you type.

Also, there's a lot of visual clutter on the site. Everything is vieing for my attention. The headings in the boxes are pretty small, which means it's not easy to visually scan the page to get any overview.

Also, the 4 little icons beside every domain name is seriously overkill. I only care about those when I actually see a domain I like. Assuch, you shoud consider only revealing them on mouse over, or at least reducing their visual weight until you mouseover. They're currently getting in the way of the very content you want to sell.
    This has a short discussion of the issue:
    http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?261

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

p wrote: »
    The biggest impression I get there is that the search box is prett hidden. I think you should make the search far more prominent, and also use ajax to make it very responsive, perhaps even filtering as you type.

Also, there's a lot of visual clutter on the site. Everything is vieing for my attention. The headings in the boxes are pretty small, which means it's not easy to visually scan the page to get any overview.

Also, the 4 little icons beside every domain name is seriously overkill. I only care about those when I actually see a domain I like. Assuch, you shoud consider only revealing them on mouse over, or at least reducing their visual weight until you mouseover. They're currently getting in the way of the very content you want to sell.
    This has a short discussion of the issue:
    http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?261

Thanks Kevin ? :)

(I'm the dev / designer guy doing work on dropped.ie)

A few things have creeped into the design the 4 icons for example and yes I've been thinking its a bit much on the page and when you're close to something you can kinda lose the plot a bit so thanks for the suggestions I'll look at sorting them out a bit ( maybe opacity settings to start with ... though tooltip-ish style hover effects with extras could be nice) I'll have a play with a few bits.

The site did start rather simply with a minimum of stuff a - z listings and then 3 / 4 /5 char domains popped in .. and so on.

Then the premium domains have been added in so the amount of info getting displayed in increasing and increasing.

I added in the keywords and then the counties as well and the page really started to fill out.

Its an interesting project to work on. There are a lot of features / ideas in the works there as well so maybe a bit of a rethink of the design is in order.
    I've a few more functionality changes to add in over the next week or so as well.

I thought about adding in the ajax style querying as well I'll have to discuss that with blacknight :)

In relation to the original query regarding the domain the only thing I can say is there are some errors in the data. There is a LOT of domains data in there and the .com listings aren't updated real time as such as the strain on the system would be huge.

Thanks for all the feedback and I'll try implementing the changes

New version went live earlier this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's someone over on this thread looking to monitor a domain name to grab when/if it expires. You could add some sort of a watchlist feature which notifies when a desired name drops or a 'suggest similar' doohickey. You could draw attention to this in a FAQ where you could also have how it works/how to buy info (it might not be immediately obvious to everyone).

Minor bit: the green backdrop for 'The Database of Broken Dreams" in logonew.gif doesn't match the bg green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

tricky D wrote: »
    There's someone over on this thread looking to monitor a domain name to grab when/if it expires. You could add some sort of a watchlist feature which notifies when a desired name drops or a 'suggest similar' doohickey. You could draw attention to this in a FAQ where you could also have how it works/how to buy info (it might not be immediately obvious to everyone).

Minor bit: the green backdrop for 'The Database of Broken Dreams" in logonew.gif doesn't match the bg green.

That would be a great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hey Blacknight,

Off topic, but it would be great if you could add a feature on your site to remember my RBN. I have to go to the CRO every time I buy a .ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement