Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do people dress everyday??

• 08-02-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Ok here's the situation, I'm a 26 year old female. During the week if I'm not going anywhere special (such as to the supermarket or cinema or shopping)I'll usually just wear jeans and a t-shirt or jumper or sometimes just a tracksuit. I consider myself well presented I'm clean and my clothes are clean. I put on a small amount of make up and my hair is always neat (maybe not always straightened). Today in the supermarket I ran into a girl I went to school with, haven't seen her in years. We were chatting away but I could tell she was looking at how I was dressed (I was wearing a nice tracksuit, had my hair tied back and just had on a tinted moisturiser), I thought I looked ok before I saw her but then she made me feel real self conscious (She had her hair coloured, lovely make-up, a nice casual dress with a fitted jacket. I thought she must be going somewhere to be that made up but when I asked what she was upt o for the rest of the day she said she was just going home to chill!!

Anyway my question is: what do people wear for just going shopping etc?? And do I need to dress up more for my age?? (When I mentioned the situation to my mam she said that now that I'm older that maybe I should dress more for my age, but in the next breath she said I didn't look scruffy or anything, I don't know I'm confused!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

This is a hard one - as I too (At 30 years old!) like to wear comfy casual clothes if not heading any where special - usually after work I throw on a track suit, but will have my hair done and make up, I always thought this was fine but recently feel exactly like you. I have made more of an effort now and try only to wear my tracksuit if going or coming from the gym! People have commented that im always dressed up now!:p Dont think you can live your life pleasing others, so my advice, wear whatever you are comfortable in!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I'm in my mid-twenties and normally wear trousers and nice tops. I usually wear make-up when I am out. Some days I have my hair up and other days down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Everyone is different, theres no standard way to dress just because youre of a certain age.

for me, it depends on my mood and what im doing. I can wear whatever i like to work itll usually be one of these
    - jeans, a vest top and a cardigan (sometimes long, sometimes short), and converse or flat shoes
    - jeans, converse/shoes and a hoody - if im feeling cold/grumpy/lazy
    - a casual dress with a long cardigan, tights, and flats or boots

today im wearing a knee length casual dress, a long cardigan, tights and uggs (they are new and so super comfy!!! :D).

my hair will sometimes be tied up, sometimes down and wavy (an unstraightened mess) or straightened.

i rarely wear makeup during the day, mostly i wear tinted moisturiser and sometimes mascara but i have my eyelashes tinted so i can usually get away without putting it on.

but everyone is different. i have friends who wouldnt leave the house without a full face of makeup, and i have other friends whod put on some (untinted) moisturiser and be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

its up to you whatever you feel comfortable in, you obviously dont look scruffy or unkempt so dont let this 'friend' get to you, more than likely it just made her feel good about herself to look you up and down. maybe shes just an ugly boot who needs to go round everywhere dolled up to the nines and plastered with make up. or has self esteem issues so she has to be done up all the time. pesonally im not that into tracksuits but i think they look well on a lot of people. this girl sounds like a silly snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I think you should just wear whatever you feel comfortable in, the outfits you describe in your OP sound grand :) I like wearing dresses/tights/boots around college, but then some days I'd wear jeans and a jumper. I do make a point of trying not to wear runners unless I'm exercising or something, but that's just because my ones are really old and dirty :pac: I usually put on a bit of make up, unless I'm in a rush.

People who look down on others just because of their clothes obviously have little else to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I hate to say it but i wouldn't leave the house without makeup - it's not that i'm full of it or anyting i just feel better about myself when i have it on - plus i look crap without it!

I usually wear jeans and a nice top/cardigan etc. I do like to look nice - i was thinking like you're thinking lately! I feel like everyone looks way more dressed up/well co-ordinated than i do - maybe it's just me:confused:!

I wear dresses 90% of the time. I pretty much always have!

Don't wear anything you don't feel comfortable in. If people have a problem with your clothes it's their problem - not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I know exactly how you feel, because Im going through the same thing. I am 27 and I work shift work in a pharmaceutical, I wear combats, or jeans and t shirts, long sleeved tops with my runners going to work every day. If I have to go shopping after work, I always feel awful and that people are looking at me.
    I am not a casual dress kind of person, thats what I would wear going for dinner. Its hard to dress nice every day if you dont have an office job. And its even harder to know when you are too old for certain types of clothes, or too young for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ohanloj3 wrote: »
    Ok here's the situation, I'm a 26 year old female. During the week if I'm not going anywhere special (such as to the supermarket or cinema or shopping)I'll usually just wear jeans and a t-shirt or jumper or sometimes just a tracksuit. I consider myself well presented I'm clean and my clothes are clean. I put on a small amount of make up and my hair is always neat (maybe not always straightened). Today in the supermarket I ran into a girl I went to school with, haven't seen her in years. We were chatting away but I could tell she was looking at how I was dressed (I was wearing a nice tracksuit, had my hair tied back and just had on a tinted moisturiser), I thought I looked ok before I saw her but then she made me feel real self conscious (She had her hair coloured, lovely make-up, a nice casual dress with a fitted jacket. I thought she must be going somewhere to be that made up but when I asked what she was upt o for the rest of the day she said she was just going home to chill!!

Anyway my question is: what do people wear for just going shopping etc?? And do I need to dress up more for my age?? (When I mentioned the situation to my mam she said that now that I'm older that maybe I should dress more for my age, but in the next breath she said I didn't look scruffy or anything, I don't know I'm confused!!

I have to say I'm not a fan of tracksuits. Unless you're actually on your way to the gym. To me they look lazy and trashy if just worn as regular clothes.

The picture below is the type of look I am talking about!

vickypollards101206_468x923.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Always do a full face of make up, particularly at weekends where I have more time. If shopping during the week I'm wearing my work clothes so a pencil skirt and cardi. with flats During the weekend I'll either make an effort (jeans, boots, long top) or wear a t-shirt and sweats but hair and make up will always be nice. Never wear heels due to stupid feet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

If you think you look good, then just stick with that. There's no point in going to any more hassle then you want to. Who cares?

I work in an office, so clothes-wise it's mainly trousers/skirts/dresses with tops. Make-up is only worn for nights out/parties, and my hair is brushed once a day, in the morning after the shower, and allowed to dry naturally. Zero effort.

OP, if someone tries to make you feel small, it's their own insecurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

I usually wear tracksuits (white top and navy bottoms) my OH says there's no point to take her pyjamas off when she pops out for a few minutes to the shop... Comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Ok I think I gave the wrong impression! I wouldn't always wear tracksuits and I mostly would wear foundation and blusher and mascara and powder during the day. Like if I was going shopping I would wear jeans with a long sleeved t-shirt and either uggs, flats or low boots but lately I feel like that isn't even enough. I wear a uniform for work so unless I was going out to dinner or pub I've no nedd during the week to wear anything more than this, but should I? I want to be presentable, I want to look decent. Maybe I'm answering my own question, maybe I should wear more mature or classy stuff apart from jeans and a t-shirt to look mature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Im 29. In work I normally wear trousers, long cardigans and simple tops that I dress up with jewellery. Mostly just clothes from penneys or dunnes as I don't see the point in spending a fortune on work clothes and its easy to look smart.

Outside of work it totally depends, if I am not going out sometimes leggings with boots and long tops or jeans with a top or combats with a t shirt whatever I am in the mood for. I rarely wear a dress unless going out

I just get proper dressed up if I am going out.

Wear what makes you feel comfortable and dont feel down because someone is more dressed up that you are. I know some girls who always have perfect hair and make up and clothes there is on in work she looks stunning but I just think I'd rather the extra few mins in bed that spending hours looking perfect everyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Invest in some nice coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I wear dresses/skirts 90% of the time. Not much of a jeans person. They never fit me right. Dresses are just more comfy I think. Never wear tracksuits. Yuck. Unless you count my sexy yoga pants that make my ass look great.:pac:

As for make-up I usually wear a bit of powder and blusher. And foundation if my skin is bad. Never wear any eye makeup in the day. But I'm 21, so I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I wear flats, black tights and some sort of skirt on a daily basis.
    I own 3 pairs of jeans (dark denim, light denim and black skinnies) and that's it... Much prefer skirts! :D

Colour I wear most often is black. Just find it easy to accessorise and slimming.
    Can't go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I live in jeans or casual dresses with leggings/black tights. Usually with flat boots, or noisy shoes [I like wearing them at work - warns people I'm coming!] I sometimes wear black trousers, although I'm sick of them as I used to wear them in my part time job also for 5 years! I wear long cardigans/jumpers/shirts.

Don't wear much make up, unless I'm up extra early and have time to kill, which has never happened yet!

I sometimes wear a tracksuit, but mostly only if I was planning on going to the gym straight after work or something - I know the impression they can give sometimes. I'm a teacher so on PE days I generally wear a tracksuit. The Vicky Pollard picture is an extreme exaggeration IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

well i wear boring suits for work but for shopping- its usually always jeans. I would wear a dress but usually for an occasion or making an effort. Gotta say i dont wear tracksuits out as such unless just popping out for milk. Usually wear makeup but will run out to the shop without etc.- its always the time you meet someone sure when looking worse for wear!! wear whatever you want- i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I like to dress up and try out different things, but I do work in retail and get a nice wee discount so I suppose I think, why not?!

If I'm having a 'comfy' day, I'd wear leggings and a really baggy, over-sized t-shirt, with a cardigan or a shirt over it. I'd consider that 'dressing down'.
    If I was just staying in the house, then yeah, have no problem with tracksuit bottoms but tbh, wouldn't go out in public wearing them.

I like wearing dresses more so than skirts and often wear dresses that most people would consider 'going out' dresses during the day. I just wear tights and boots or flats with them and throw a cardi on over.

Other than that, I'm a skinny jeans girl; usually with some kinda quirky t-shirt or knitwear.

Always accessorise. I love jewelery and hats, scarves etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a dressed down kinda girl though and don't think you should feel pressured to wear dresses or whatever during the day. I just happen to really like clothes and fashion so that's why I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

I wear bootcut jeans/jeggings/denim skirts with tights, simple tops and cardys/shirts with heels, always wear some light makeup as i have tiny marks on my face from when I had acne when i was young which I'm conscious of, love costume jewellery then to add to it!I worked in a cafe all through college where I had a uniform and the novelty of being able to wear what I like still hasn't worn off!Only time I wear a tracksuit is when I go to the gym or when I'm lazin at home, simply because I don't wear runners, it's all about what you're comfortable in though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

For work I have a uniform unless I have meetings and need to wear something smarter.

Since I have lost weight (45lb) I do dress better. In the evenings I pull on a pair of dark jeans, long top, cardi and converce. During the week I wear a light day makeup. I have crazy curly bobbed hair that I GHD at the weekends but mostly for work just wash and put in a leave in conditioner so its not wild.

At the weekends I try to dress up more, smart-casual. dress with leggings or tights, long cardi and boots. Tunics and slim fit jeans and a small heel. nice trousers and a top. I have 3 coats that fit me, a red, black and purple one and lots scarfs to match. I always dress up my outfits with jewellery, scarfs, hats and bags. Weekends full face of make up. If I am going out at the weekend I wear a nice dress and knee high boots or dressy trousers and long top and heels.

I used to walk around looking really scruffy but that was because I didnt feel good about myself. I am 37 and before this was dressing much to old for my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'm 24 (25 in a week or 2) and I always wear either a dress or a skirt. I wouldn't be caught dead out in a tracksuit (couldn't be further from my style)or without make-up (don't have the best skin) personally.
    I always go out looking fairly glamorous (although maybe not by other peoples standards) and super girlie/feminine (but in the hippy chick way not straightened hair and heels dolly bird or boho way) with a full face of make-up, although most people can't tell I wear any which is how I like it. I like being a bit flamboyant, so I always wear lots of bright colours and like to be perfectly colour coordinated (esp as I have really red hair) and I like dramatic jewellry too. My clothes are a expression of my personality and I get a real creative kick out of putting outfits together that are a bit different and eye catching.
    I don't think you should make a conscious effort to glam up, be yourself and be happy. If you're not happy the way you are then modify your style unitl you find something you are comfortable with and you enjoy. Clothes should be fun and putting outfits together should be a bit exciting so play around and try combos you wouldn't usually try and see how they look, you never kow what might work and be a bit different to the norm.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    my OH says there's no point to take her pyjamas off when she pops out for a few minutes to the shop... Comfy.

Lol there's a thread in after hours about girls going to the shops in their pjs actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

From a man's perspective...............

After many, many years of getting it wrong, I now dress well. I've been in similar situations to you, OP, bumping into someone you know who looks really nice while you feel like a builder in baggy pants and a t-shirt with holes in it (in this example, I'm talking about myself, not you ;) ). My general rule of thumb now is to always look nice, always be well presented. That doesn't mean dressy, it just means well dressed. There's a difference.

So for example, on a normal day, I'll probably wear something like:

Black converse, dark fitted jeans, dark t-shirt, fitted (sometimes leather) jacket.

or

Black converse, dark fitted jeans, casual light-coloured shirt, overcoat/mac.

Something like that anyway. The only time I ever wear my sweatpants out of the house would be going to the gym or a girlfriend's house (I'll be in the car for the journeys to and from). Tracksuits outside of your bedroom, unless you're actually in the gym or going for a jog, is a major no.

As you can see, it's not really dressy, it's just well presented. And like you asked your prodigal friend, my friends often ask me where I'm going/what I'm doing, thinking I must have something on cos I'm dressed well. But even if/when nobody asks/notices how I'm dressed, I'm still aware that I'm well presented and, as such, feel a lot more confident than I would being out in a pair of sweatpants and a crappy, faded t-shirt. The confidence puts me at ease and in a much bubblier mood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Yeah I agree with this. In particular I see the girls from the secondary school in my town going to school have a full face of makeup, alot of them seem to wear tan aswell and they always have their hair done as if they're going on a night out, see the same girls on a night out and they look the same (apart from the uniform of course)!!! When I was in school I could barely get out of bed in the morning in time to have breakfast!!
    I think It's nice to look different when going out fom how you look during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    I usually wear tracksuits (white top and navy bottoms) my OH says there's no point to take her pyjamas off when she pops out for a few minutes to the shop... Comfy.

what's she doing wearing pyjamas during the day time in the first place?

i just don't understand people who wear them or tracksuits anywhere.

• Advertisement

I'm still aware that I'm well presented and, as such, feel a lot more confident than I would being out in a pair of sweatpants and a crappy, faded t-shirt. The confidence puts me at ease and in a much bubblier mood. :)

I would agree with this, I feel much more confident/happy when I look well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I wear dresses/skirts 90% of the time. Not much of a jeans person. They never fit me right. Dresses are just more comfy I think.

+1

I'm the same - can NEVER find jeans to fit me right, the only ones that do are a pair of skinny jeans I got in River Island about 2 years ago!

I usually wear skirts and dresses with a long cardi, tights/leggings and boots or flats.

I love funky accessories too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

I was wearing a nice tracksuit

No, no tracksuit is nice unless worn in the gym or around the house

There absolutely is. It's a tracksuit. A track suit. They were invented for running on the 'track', as le Yanks do call it, not for socialising. I appreciate that there are certain connotations that come with wearing tracksuits in a social situation and some people would feel uncomfortable in confronting these connotations but the harsh truth is that tracksuits were made for exercising in and, though you can try make them fashionable all you want, they are not fashionable in any way. Given that this is a fashion/appearance forum, I feel that the their (ir)relevance in fashion should take precedence over being politically correct inre the societal connotations involved in wearing a tracksuit at leisure in a social situation. And although I do agree that people should wear whatever makes them comfortable, this isn't a "We support you no matter how you look/dress/choose to live" forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I had a similar moment in my late 20's, ditched the baggy hoodies and huge cargo pants for good, and I've never looked back.

I think the key to feeling comfortable but looking well put together is 1) investing in clothes that fit properly, 2) investing in a nice jacket and a good pair of leather shoes and/or boots, and 3) being well groomed. Clothes that fit properly, even if they are jeans or a basic button down, just look more polished. A well-cut jacket can make jeans look more formal, even if they are not dressy. There is a big difference between wearing jeans with leather flats or boots and jeans with trainers (although Chuck Taylors may be the sole exception). As for the well-groomed part, I save the full makeup for a big night out, and I have crazy curly hair that does what it wants, but I've found that by taking care of my skin and keeping my eyebrows done I can get away with just a swipe of mascara and lip gloss before I leave the house. I also think accessories make a difference: I always wear a watch, earrings and a belt (basic stuff, nothing flashy).

I should also add that some of this comes from literally having to live out of a suitcase for a year while country-hopping for a research project (and spending the bulk of my time in places where wearing a tracksuit anywhere but the gym would be cause for staring). Because my options are limited, I've found that by having a few good pieces (most of which are dark colors), the line between "presentable casual" and "business meeting" is a matter of switching out jeans for a skirt, and spending 10 more minutes in the mirror in the morning. It's also made me a much choosier shopper, because anything I buy has to work in multiple social settings, and work with what I have already.

So to answer your question, to run to the store I'd generally wear jeans with boots, a scarf (I'm always cold) and a sweater. Maybe I would tame the hair, but I'd definitely swipe on some lip gloss and mascara. Honestly, it doesn't take much to look like a well put-together adult; you just have to make a habit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

ohanloj3 wrote: »

It's the tracksuit
    If you are in a gym, its the right thing to wear,
    anywhere else and you are a laughing stock.
    A tracksuit is one step above pyjamas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I'm a 12-14, and honestly I feel like that makes me even less inclined to wear tracksuit pants or other baggy clothes - visually they just add additional bulk.

I don't think it's a matter of trying to impress other people in that you'd want them to think you are some kind of fashionista. I think it's more about giving the impression that you are an adult, and that you know how to dress appropriately. I definitely wore nylon pants and hoodies in college (and am somewhat mortified by some of the photos from that era), but I think the OP's predicament is a common one: once you are done slouching your way through university, what actually is appropriate casual wear? I think once you hit a certain point in life, pajamas and workout clothes are generally not appropriate outside of their intended use.

• Advertisement

Firstly, your weight is your issue. I didn't bring it up and I wouldn't attribute any value to it in my argument, positive or negative. It's none of my business and it's not pertinent to the conversation anyway. So please don't infer that I was commenting on body-image and what a girl 'should' look like. I wasn't, as can clearly be seen from my post. Thank you.

And secondly, I agree that there's a difference. When I said 'tracksuit', I was referring, of course, to the typical Nike/Adidas/Reebok bollocks that you see on the racks in Champion Sports (which, if you want to bring money into it-and you did-probably cost as much as, if not more than, your O'Neills a good percentage of the time, thus reflecting that this is and should not be an issue of money). I would definitely see O'Neills/A&F/whatever other fashionable styles of sweatpant style pants to be a lot more acceptable (fashion-wise) than the above mentioned sports shop tracksuits. The reasons being that they:

a) Are made from better material
    b) Can be worn with some class
    c) Are 'in' and have been for a while
    and
    d) Don't make the wearer look like a moron who's been dressed by their blind, reclusive mother.

I'm reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally trying not to be elitist here. I know I'm probably definitely coming across that way but... in fairness, I'm only being realistic. There really is a difference between the kind of 'tracksuit' that you were talking about and the kind that I mistakenly thought you were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

OP - I'm not much older than you - 27. I hate to be like or look like everyone else and this extends to my clothes. I also hate to do the same thing every day. I’m quite young for the work I do (average age in our office is about 45!) and it’s quite a responsible role, so I do need to dress for work. That said, I’d do a different “look” every day – wide legged trousers one day, pencil skirt another, pinafore dress a third, shirtdress another. Once a week, I’d wear jeans but they’re always very well cut and usually teamed with a smart cashmere sweater. Cashmere cardies and sweater are a staple for me, at work and weekends. They dress everything up. I have at least a dozen! Occasionally, I’d wear my Converse to the office on jeans day – simply to remind them that I’m 20 years younger!

I do dress down at weekends since my work clothes can be quite formal. Similarly though, I hate routine. I wouldn’t always wear jeans for example – I have some nice denim or cotton skirts, which are just as comfy, but are a nice alternative. I’d often team a nice shirt with my jeans to make a change from the standard-issue tunic tops you see everywhere. I find the key to smart casual dressing is good materials e.g. cashmere sweaters, a good leather jacket, flat suede knee high boots. If you can afford it, cashmere hoodies are the perfect mix of smart, casual and cosy all in one! A great, colourful leather handbag is also invaluable for dressing up an outfit - this is my excuse reason for having so many!
    I’d always be made up but I hate “heavy” make up and I’m quite good at doing a full face subtly. Hair in a swishy ponytail. My exception for all the above is if I run to the supermarket when hungover of a Sunday morning - the supermarket is literally next door so it's a case of in and out asap, regardless of appearance!
    I wear tracksuit bottoms to college at least 2 outta the five days a week. whats wrong with that? i dont go to the pub in them, who am i trying to impress. Im no size 0 so i feel more comfortable in tracksuit bottoms, or jeans not trying to impress someone in jeggings or dresses or the likes!!! Theres a difference in my opinion between cheap tacky tracksuit bottoms with juicy wrote across the ass and a 50euro pair of o'neills... Maybe if every item that "comes into fashion" wasnt aimed at the size 0 girls maybe those of us that vary between a 12-14 wouldnt feel like they cant wear them!!
    I dress to impress me. I'm worth it. It's nothing to do with size, either. My best friend is half a foot shorter than I, much curvier and she's always dressed better than I (she might dispute that!).
    Oh, and my juicy tracksuits have nothing written on them ;)
    I think the key to feeling comfortable but looking well put together is 1) investing in clothes that fit property, 2) investing in a nice jacket and a good pair of leather shoes and/or boots, and 3) being well groomed. Clothes that fit properly, even if they are jeans or a basic button down, just look more polished. A well-cut jacket can make jeans look more formal, even if they are not dressy. There is a big difference between wearing jeans with leather flats or boots and jeans with trainers (although Chuck Taylors may be the sole exception). As for the well-groomed part, I save the full makeup for a big night out, and I have crazy curly hair that does what it wants, but I've found that by taking care of my skin and keeping my eyebrows done I can get away with just a swipe of mascara and lip gloss before I leave the house. I also think accessories make a difference: I always wear a watch, earrings and a belt (basic stuff, nothing flashy).
    +1 to most of what you said. My vintage silver and pearl studs are my favourite accessories and I always have them on.
    Skirts tbh sound like they'd be your friend. It's much easier to get good quality skirts at a good price than it is to get good jeans or trousers, and chances are they'd cost less than o'neills. It's a fact of life that we all judge each other, if only unconsciously. You never get a second chance to make a first impression is a cliché but a truism. I lived in my many pairs of o'neills in college but I was still always well presented (so I'm told!).

O neills are horrible things! They're so unflattering too I have no idea why Irish girls are so obsessed with them, I also think they look very immature. I understand it's hard to find good fitting jeans, I myself can't wear them as they trigger my IBS being too restrictive on the waist but there's a lot of other lovely typs of pants that are comfy/feminine/elegant/mature/stylish out there.

IBS isn't really a very well defined disorder, it encompasses a wide range of gastrointestinal symptoms and people tend to form their own individual patterns of symptoms which is why medical treatments are so unsatisfactory for IBS. Ya for me any pressure on my waist is a trigger, I have to make sure my seat belt is always relaxed at my waist and wear clothes (skirts and dresses only really) that I can wear low on my hips to take the pressure off my tummy. Actually fruit is a problem for me (I suspect due to the fructose which produces similar symptoms to IBS in some people) so fruit juices don't do me any favours.
    As soon as I get in the door in the evenings I'm into my PJs and it's instant relief if it's been acting up, not that I'd be caught dead picking up a litre of milk in em or anything ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Day to day for me is very simple, for college and work. I usually wear skinny jeans or a skirt with a band t shirt and cardigan. I like dresses too, but don't have many day time ones. Must fix that! Shoe wise, I wear brogues, Doc Martens or Converse.
    I have trackies for around the house, and then gym clothes for the gym!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

To people trying to get out of the habit of wearing tracksuit pants all the time, I really suggest you try a loose cotton dress, pair of thick warm tights, a warm long cardi and flats (I find Converse and Vans are more comfy than ballet flats or Ugg boots). It's just as comfortable and easy to throw on as a tracksuit and I promise you'll look 100 times better.
    It's my go-to outfit for lazy days around the house or the shops, I very rarely wear tracksuit pants

• Advertisement
Advertisement