Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do people dress everyday??

2»

Comments

This post has been deleted.

I agree, noone should judge anyone by what they wear. But clearly your college friends have problems if they're "whispering" about someone dressing well.

With regards to your size, that has nothing to do with what you wear. I'm a 12 and I would never be seen in tracksuit bottoms except in the gym or possibly on a Sunday morning if I run out for the paper. When I was a size 16 I was exactly the same. In actual fact I felt because I was bigger I wanted to make more of an effort to look well at all times. And it was never for others, always for myself.

Next is your friend if you're looking for size 14 jeans that actually fit. They have great fitting clothes. Personally I don't wear Jeans either. I have a great pear of boyfriend jeans (from next!) which I love but that's it. I find dresses much more comfie, I always have even when I was young and slim!!!

Dresses are the easiest thing in the world to wear imo, it's a whole outfit it one! No matching up at all, dress + tights + uggs/boots or flats (or heels at night) and you're ready to go.

In fairness though, I don't honestly care enough about what other people wear to judge them on it, it makes no difference to my life. As long as you are comfortable and happy with what you're wearing then that's all that matters.

You mean the same way you judge people for dressing up? Asking where they think they're going? Why is it OK for you to judge people for being well dressed and not the other way around?

Fact is, dressing well does not require any more effort than dressing badly. Those who try to use the 'oh she must get up at 6am' line are just insecure and jealous. How long do you think it takes to throw on a skirt, tights, vest top and cardigan? How do you think it takes longer than putting on a tracksuit? Maybe give yourself an extra 2 minutes to throw on some jewellery and a coating of mascara. I have to leave the house at 9 most days and I get up at 8.30. In that time I shower, eat breakfast, check my e-mails and get dressed. I just don't see the point in wearing a tracksuit to college. It looks lazy and sloppy. O'Neills in particular look very teenagery, IMO. They just make you look like you're 15 and on your way to a hockey match. Of course you're entitled to wear them and feeling comfortable is fine, but IMO 'nice' and 'tracksuit bottoms' just don't belong in the same sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

It's not like the only two possible options are track suits or dresses with high heels.

Not everyone is into dresses. Fair enough. Personally I like dresses and skirts but dislike the feeling of tights against my skin, so I tend to wear skirts mostly when it's warm enough out that I don't need tights, or if I'm going somewhere where I know I'll be indoors all the time.

Even if a person never wants to wear a dress, there are other choices: jeans, cords, khakis, leggings, cargo pants etc etc.

If you are worried about a larger bum, then there's tunics, long cardigans and such. Throwing on the things I just mentioned doesn't take any longer than throwing on a track suit.

There are plenty of shoes which are comfortable and smart looking.

If someone just can't give up the comfort of track suit, then there are other options like the picture below: a dark color (much better IMHO than the pink or aqua ones,) nice cut and no silly writing or pictures on it yet still has an elastic waist and is comfortable:

at684427-01p01v05.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mostly I wear dresses with cardigans, tights, boots or flats. If I'm feeling lazy or a bit meh I wear skinny jeans with a nice top or a cardigan. I have to walk around a lot in my job so I have to be comfortable. I feel the most comfortable in dresses.

I do have a pair of O' Neills. I bought them for a trip with my students. I wear them on Sundays when I drive from my boyfriend's house in Dublin to my house in Cork. Tights and jeans tend to get to me when I'm driving for 3 hours.

I just think it's important to wear what you are most comfortable in. It doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Just stop posting then, by responding you've made this thread about you! Thats nobody elses fault, but you engaged in the debate in the first place, and now don't like the way it's gone so just leave it be if it's making you feel bad.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Really? I hadn't noticed that bit. I know boards can be a bit insensitive sometimes but don't take it personally, like I said (I know from personal experience) sometimes it's just best to walk away from a debate before your feelings get hurt ya know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

khrystyna100:sashafierce:Everybody else:

There appears to be a bit of sparring and personality clashing going on here. Take a step back from the keyboard for a breather or I'll start throwing weeklong bans around.
    Play nice or don't play at all.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sashafierce, I strongly suggest you take a break from this thread. Nobody called you a laughing stock. Somebody used the phrase, not even in relation to you, and you've taken things up the wrong way completely. You keep posting in the thread, of course people are going to respond to you - it doesn't mean they're having a go at you. So I think you should step back because you're clearly getting upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i'm another dress+dark tights+long cardi+flat boots/shoes lover. That's pretty much what i wear every day. just find them to be easy, flattering, comfy and cute.
    i own one pair of skinny jeans and i only wear them when im going to do something that would likely rip my tights.
    back when i wore a lot of jeans and tops i felt dumpy a lot, and got self conscious about any bulging over my jeans etc.
    never do anything special with my hair. it's usually down, sometimes straight sometimes wavy. and generally always wear some makeup. trying to get in the habit of wearing it less often...makeup is a guilty pleasure, i HATE that i feel like i have to wear it, but i feel better with it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady P

I'm approaching 30 and have been thinking the same way as the OP over the past year or so.
    Work wise I tend to wear dresses and pencil skirts (only since the past year) and at home I tend to wear jeans a lot.
    I've recently started wearing more dresses and tights at home but what puts me off is that I can never find casual boots!!
    I live in heels and am known for my love of shoes so it's a big change for me to switch towards a more casual style of footwear. Will take any suggestions of where I can find some if anyone has any!!
    I've always wanted to wear skinny jeans but had to give up on that recently. I'm a curvy size 10 but can never find a pair to fit my hips and calves. It used to bother me a lot but I'm over it at this stage - everyone's unique and it would be boring if we were all the same size!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I just bumped into my ex-girlfriend on the street. I am SO happy about this right now:
    My general rule of thumb now is to always look nice, always be well presented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

It depends on where I'm going, if I want to look nice for someone and also the weather. :D During the daytime I dress 3 ways:

Runners, jeans and a hoody. - For me it's the most comfortable but feel quite lazy.

Flats/boots, jeans, plain top and cardie. - Still feeling comfortable but feel confident about my appearence.

Flats, skirt, tights, plain/nice top and cardie. - Honestly, this is my least comfortable for a whole day but I'd feel my most confident.

I always wear basic foundation and mascara.

I wouldn't be a tracksuit wearer outside of the house/exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Shauna.Henn

Nice to see that somebody took your advice;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leighmoore/4242397488/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well, I really feel more myself in dresses and tights, for college, for everyday. I love mini skirts too, denim ones, always have! I dunno what is is but I just love them, but only with dark leggings or super dark tights. Inspired by Mary Quant!

I used always wear darker clothes but experimented the older I got, turns out mustard really suits me so I have a few cardi's in that shade and others to throw over dresses or skirts.

Mostly I have skinny jeans, and one pair of baggy jeans from Zara which are really comfy. Hate round neck tops but have loads, V-necks suit me better.

So usually I'm in a dress cardi and boots; flat, always, or a mini and converse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I'm very, very boring when it comes to my everyday clothes, it's quite tragic really. I've got a larger figure, and I find that patterned stuff tends to make me look larger than I am, like florals do NOTHING for me, neither do stripes.

My body has weird proportions, length wise, like the distance from under my boobs to my hips is ridiculous, I've never met anybody with a longer torso than me, and my thighs are noticably longer than my friends' as well, which means I end up buying long length jeans but they sit on my waist rather than my hips (which is a bonus really, cos I'm quite conscious of my stomach anyway and they end up being like high waisted jeans)

So my usual daily outfits consist of jeans (some boyfriend, some straight leg), converse or vans, boots if I'm feeling fancy, a plain colour top (usually white or purple or black), sometimes just a vest top, sometimes a band tshirt, sometimes a vest top with buttons on it or something, they're always long tops too thanks to my disproportional torso, always a cardigan (I have loads of colours, my favourite one is a coral coloured one that cost a tenner from Dunnes)

I have a few dresses, mainly going out ones, but I recently bought a lovely grey knitted dress from New Look which I wear with black tights, flat boots and a black long sleeve top underneath.

I used to be mental for tracksuit bottoms and super-baggy jeans, but I've realised that they do absolutely nothing for me, and I'm in Final Year at college and trying to make my best impression on the Dept I want to do my masters in, so I prefer to try and look kinda smart-causal most of the time anyway :cool:

Advertisement