Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting frickin ridiculous now - Canon 550D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Hopefully there will be a price drop for the 500d as I am thinking of getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

18MP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

And a 5D MkIII on the horizon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can't believe that my 450D is two generations out of date less than 18 months after buying it!

Would like the improved ISO performance but if even if I had the spare cash to be upgrading it'd be to the XXd range rather than a newer XXXd. Still quite far from having mastered the 450d so it'll keep me going for a good while yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Would you rather they didn't introduce new hardware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

OMGZ IT HAZ VIDZ FUNCTIONZ :pac:

5D MKII you say?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

surprised they didn't introduce a speedlite transmitter built into the device like on the 7D.

Looks nice but is the body the compact sized one like the 500D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

swingking wrote: »
    surprised they didn't introduce a speedlite transmitter built into the device like on the 7D.

Looks nice but is the body the compact sized one like the 500D

Will there be noise issues again because of the sensor size - a la 50D?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

new processing chip but now with only a 6 Raw image buffer! Not sure how quick the buffer can be cleared with a fast memory card, maybe it would be fast enough.

high iso performance will just be more smudged out detail&noise, the 450d has the best image quality in that series, 20/30d had the best IQ in their series

only thing I like is the HD video in a small dslr. If i was buying a video camera I'd buy this. ergonomics arent great for video but I'd find a way around that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Will there be noise issues again because of the sensor size - a la 50D?:confused:
    Do you have a 50d? And you've noticed noise issues with it? I've had one about 15 months now and i've never noticed this as a problem.

• Advertisement

Do you have a 50d? And you've noticed noise issues with it? I've had one about 15 months now and i've never noticed this as a problem.
    Whoa there!:D Don't take it personally. I have a 40D, and was considering a 50D prior to purchasing it, but a number of reviewers were concerned with, as they put it, excessive noise under certain conditions.

Thus I opted for the 40D.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ah yes, the old 'i heard it on the internet, it must be true'.i'm in the same boat as wersal
    Whoa there!:D Don't take it personally. I have a 40D, and was considering a 50D prior to purchasing it, but a number of reviewers were concerned with, as they put it, excessive noise under certain conditions.

ah yes, the old 'i heard it on the internet, it must be true'.i'm in the same boat as wersal

In fairness they were fairly reliable sites. As I said, don't take it personally. Each to their own. Isn't that what it's all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ISO 6400 is a pretty good feature, looks like a good camera. Hoping 5D mk iii comes out soon so I can scoop up a mark i for cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

nothing personal - sorry if it came across that way! i was just interested to hear if you had problems with it. i have also read the reviews but i honestly cant find any noise issues with any photos i've taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

For those interested, dpreview.com have a set of sample shots taken with the 550D here, including a few taken at 6400 ISO, which looks to have a surprisingly manageable level of noise.

Personally, I'm very tempted to pick one of these up. I had been saving up for a 500D, but the improved low-ISO performance and non-gimped HD movie mode may convince me to put up the extra cash for the 550D instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

How much of an upgrade would this be from a 400D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

charybdis wrote: »
    Would you rather they didn't introduce new hardware?
    Not at all, just surprised at how quickly things are moving...

Though, tbh, what I really, really want from Canon is more affordable fast primes like the nifty fifty. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

sprinkles wrote: »
    How much of an upgrade would this be from a 400D?
    150D's worth I'd imagine.

Effects wrote: »
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Effects wrote: »
    Haha, just think of all those idiots with their 5Ds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

When is this hitting the shelves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

When is this hitting the shelves?

It's not. Canon has announced the 600D which will replace it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

I think it is out 24th of this month.Was thinking of getting a 500d and then thinking great 500d will drop price.Now the more I read about this I want this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

In fairness they were fairly reliable sites. As I said, don't take it personally. Each to their own. Isn't that what it's all about?

The 50D, which I've had over a year, can be quite noisy at relatively low ISO's (800) in low light conditions and regardless of the glass (i.e., 50mm1.4 or 70-200 2.8 L, 24-105 f4L) you're using. It does performs well with longer exposures when supplemented with the noise compensation option.

As with all of these assessments, the conditions you shoot under define the cameras performance.

Advertisement