Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems in my house-share

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help. Loads of updates for you!

The landlord came around the other night to meet with me and the other girl. We showed him the bill and he said he was going to sort it. He took details of the bill down etc.
    The other tenant and myself also explained that unless the bills were sorted, we weren't taking any accounts up in our names, and we weren't going to sign leases.

He then called a house meeting on Sunday and asked us all to be there. Basically, he's outlined a lease for me and the other girl to read and sign, for us to be the key tenants in the house. He asked the key tenant about the bills which he said he was going to work out.
    If they haven't been worked out, I'm just going to call the landlord to inform him they haven't kept the promise and refuse to sign anything or have accounts transferred to my name until they've been paid.

I would move out, as everyone's been suggesting but they're going to be gone in a few weeks, the landlord knows what's going on and they won't be getting away with it.

I know moving out would stop all this hassle, but I feel fine about it now because the landlord knows about the situation, he's sorting it himself, as agreed, and the bills are in the key tenants name.

Please listen to smccarrick's advise.
    As smccarrick pointed out a lease means straight through the year and not case where you can disappear for three months without paying the rent.

What excuses did your key tenant give for not paying the ESB ?
    Forgive me for being paranoid, but something still sounds a bit weird about this situation.

Please forget this cr** about being the "key tenant".
    In my experience the "key tenant" as you call them ends up being the house minder for the landlord.
    It has no standing in law, you have no extra rights, you could still be the one kicked out if all other tenants decide you are not wanted.
    You get to handle the cr** for no extra unless of course you are getting a rent discount from landlord which I would say is unusual.

The best way to organise rent payment is straight to landlords bank account by all tenants.
    If done otherwise it raises questions about the landlord, especially if they ask for cash.

The best way for bills is one person to take each bill and that way one person doesn't get screwed for all the bills.
    All this laid down up front to any new arrivals.

Sorry have to ask this but why do you want to be this so called key tenant, do you just want to control the house or something ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

smccarrick wrote: »
    Is there a good enough reason other than the rent for staying there?

I think so. My room is less than 300 euro a month for a double room with french doors out to a reasonable size garden. It's in a good location, very near a bus stop I use to get to college every day.
    The house is on a quiet street as well, which is a big plus for me.
    How long do you intend to stay there (aka- are you willing to sign a lease which ties you into the property for a set period of time- which could include the summer months- when you might want to travelling or something)

I have another year (from September 2010) left in college, so I plan on renting until at least May 2011.
    Why do you or would you want to be a 'Key Tenant' (whatever this is- as it has no legal basis). It sounds like its a mechanism for the landlord to get a number of people to sign a formal lease- as this will safeguard his interests- however whats in it for you? Why should you sign it?

I want to sign it so I have a proper law-abiding lease with the landlord and so I'm in charge of deciding what housemates come in to the house. I don't want to get stuck living with people like I am now again!

I've said to my landlord that any rent from the house will be paid directly to his bank account from anyone living in the house, rather than through me (or the other tenant who's staying)

I'll definitely get my family's solicitor to look through the lease before I sign it. There's no way I'd sign any sort of contract without reading it.
    Magenta wrote: »
    OP I have no idea why you are putting yourself through this. There is no shortage of cheap places to rent.

:(

If it weren't for the location, the price and the fact I like my bedroom so much, I'd be up and gone in a heartbeat.
    jmayo wrote: »
    What excuses did your key tenant give for not paying the ESB ?
    Forgive me for being paranoid, but something still sounds a bit weird about this situation.

They said they'd got "stuck" cleaning the house on Sunday. Then they said they'd been busy with work :rolleyes:

Both of them will be home tonight so I'll just explain to them that if the bills aren't sorted over the weekend, I'm gone.

The reason I've been so patient is that there's still three weeks to go before they move out and the landlord says he's sorting things out. Maybe I'm too trusting with that.

But you all are right. I feel like a fool, posting here, because everyone's telling me to move out and I ... haven't :o

If the house wasn't so ideal (other than them and their failure to organise / pay bills) I'd definitely leave.

I'm sorry for frustrating you with my present decisions... I'm trying to be as patient as I can with my housemates, for the sake of us all having to live together for the next while... I hate awkward, hostile situations.

But at this point I know that I have to stand up to them, to avoid being shafted and to get the bills paid ... seeing as the landlord doesn't seem to be helping much.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that once I get more pro-active and show my annoyance, it'll start war in the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP I think you are being very naive and trusting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP I think you are being very naive and trusting.

We're all naive and trusting at times- we want to believe the best of other people. Perhaps some of us are too cynical- personally I often think that if I prepare for the worst, and it doesn't happen- that its a pleasant bonus.

Pikachucheeks- definitely get your family solicitor to have a look at the lease. God only knows what'll be in it- the landlord sounds clueless to be honest. I wouldn't be a 'Key Tenant' for him- if you paid me- and I most certainly would not get any of the utilities in my name. Have you figured what you're going to do for the 3 summer months- whether you'd still be expected to pay rent, or how it would be handled?

Also- 300 for a room- even if it has nice French doors out to the garden- does not seem to be an incredible bargain to me- to be honest. It may be cheaper than student accommodation- but rents are a hell of a lot lower than they used be- and if you were renting out a whole house I'd not be too impressed...... When you factor bills into the equation- its at least 400 a month (prob 450) times 4 or 5- and you're up to or over 2k a month...... It really doesn't seem like an incredible bargain?

I think most posters have made their thoughts clear on this thread- its up to you to do whats right for you- but get a good opinion from your solicitor and make sure that any questions (such as what happens during the summer months) get answered before you sign anything.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I want to sign it so I have a proper law-abiding lease with the landlord and so I'm in charge of deciding what housemates come in to the house. I don't want to get stuck living with people like I am now again!

So is that why you want to be the Key Tennant, so that you'll get a say in who moves in? If so, just make sure that you get something in writing confirming that you get a say. Just in case the landlord decides to rescind this privilege. Because, as people have already said, there are no legal rights or obligations to being a Key Tennant.

So make sure you get something in writing and signed by the landlord. I can see a sitaution arising where you don't like/trust a potential tennant and the landlord rents them a room anyway, because they need the money.

• Advertisement

So is that why you want to be the Key Tennant, so that you'll get a say in who moves in? If so, just make sure that you get something in writing confirming that you get a say. Just in case the landlord decides to rescind this privilege. Because, as people have already said, there are no legal rights or obligations to being a Key Tennant.

So make sure you get something in writing and signed by the landlord. I can see a sitaution arising where you don't like/trust a potential tennant and the landlord rents them a room anyway, because they need the money.

I would not wish being in charge of tenant-hunting on my worst enemy, it's unpaid torture, having to organise your time around meeting people who don't show up, or you rent someone the room and they seem really nice until they turn out to be a cokehead who enjoys loud sex at 4am on a Sunday night-Monday morning (happened to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I would not wish being in charge of tenant-hunting on my worst enemy

True, I didn't even mean that, I just meant that if the landlord now says that Pikachucheeks will get a final say in who gets a room he may change his mind in the next few months as money talks.

But if you're in charge of replacing tennants, Pika, I would be even more cautious. As Magenta points out, it's a nightmare of a chore - for no rewards.

But if you're in charge of replacing tennants, Pika, I would be even more cautious. As Magenta points out, it's a nightmare of a chore - for no rewards.

It's the biggest pain in the f...reaking ass.
    I even made a thread about it in Ranting and Raving.
    And no matter how nice someone seems, you just never know who you're dealing with.

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd post to update you on what's been happening.

The guy in charge of bills sorted them out so he no longer owes anything and we've all paid our fair share, to get things settled.

The other tenant and I have taken over responsibility of the ESB and electricity bills between us, so neither of us have the sole responsibility. We discussed it, as we were both staying on in the house for a year plus and felt it was the fairest thing to do.

We found two lovely new housemates on Daft, who'll be moving in to the house very soon.
    Both of them came to view the house and we all got on well, so we're looking forward to having a nicer atmosphere in the house.

I'm delighted that things have been sorted and that two nice girls have taken the rooms in the house. Everything seems to have worked out.

I know it's extra work for myself, having to manage bills, but the way I look at it, I trust myself to get bills paid, because I know I'm a reasonable and responsible person, where as other people can vary in their reliability.

I'd like to thank everyone to gave me advice in this thread. You were all a great help to me, when I was dealing with things.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

So you no longer have a problem with living in the house with a dog?

I thought that was one of your main gripes in the OP?

• Advertisement

TirEoghain wrote: »
    So you no longer have a problem with living in the house with a dog?

I thought that was one of your main gripes in the OP?

The dog was moved out! I don't think I mentioned it in the thread, but I had a chat with my housemate about it and she brought the dog back home a good few weeks ago.

I just said to her that I would have liked if she'd asked me or at least informed me before moving the dog in ... and she felt so guilty, she moved her out altogether :o

So, things are all resolved and all's well, for the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Glad everything is worked out now OP, to me, this type of scenario is always a bad idea. But first thing you do when you move in anywhere is take all the readings (esb,gas..) and keep a check on them each bill to make sure theyre consistent.

Advertisement