Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband provider for Carlow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TowerIRL

I'm using clearwire here, i find it fast for browsing the web but have it two maybe three years now so it seems a bit dated compared to some of those results!
    Maybe it's time to phone them up and see can they do better or change..
    Could you post some of your findings if you get a chance? i.e prices from different providers and speeds etc.
    Would greatly appreciate it :)

Here's mine:
    804173336.png

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

So my mother is in south Carlow (near St. Mullins) and has 3. However she is unhappy with the service. which will often have long pauses in connection, despite claiming to be getting 3g signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what she could switch to?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

818497664.png

That's from Vodafone near the Castledermot area.....best i can get round here. Joys of being in the country :( I'm just glad it's my company paying for it and not me! Apparently my line is only enabled for max 3MB broadband, but apartment directly above me is capable for 20MB (and he doesn't even have a computer!) - no technical reason able to be offered, even though when i had the phone line installed stressed to Eircom that i was on a business line and looking for the maximum speed possible. Their response?You could pay €153 for another line to be installed and maybe you could get something faster - but we can't guarantee it. Grrrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

OmeGar wrote: »
    So my mother is in south Carlow (near St. Mullins) and has 3. However she is unhappy with the service. which will often have long pauses in connection, despite claiming to be getting 3g signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what she could switch to?

Aptus or maybe permanet

www.aptus.ie

www.permanet.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimmyhat

I gave in and got broadband with eircom , all the mobile dongles are rubbish due to the fact getting a signal is a pain in the arse and also using it between peak hours its far to laggy but thats becuase users share IP addresses , that's why it slow between peak hours and its impossible sometimes to use sites such as rapidshare because of the shared IPs... was going to go with aptus but price wise it worked out the same as eircom and the package with eircom has no cap on how much I download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Thanks for all the input. Location wise the parents are in worst place for broadband. Too far from phone exchange for DSL. To close to mountains for line of sight services.

Will look at Aptus and permanet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Anyone with UPC? Digiweb download cap is starting to bug me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

RealistSpy wrote: »

Im with them, living up on Greenlane...my only fault is that they claim its a 20mg line but its nowhere near that quick.. but its never down and downloads are very very quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

RealistSpy wrote: »

I am. €22 p/m for 3Mb iirc
    No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

885734268.png

Bullock Park, beside the IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

885734268.png

Bullock Park, beside the IT

Anyone know what mine should be? I use to be on BT plus, then voda took over. I heard ages ago mine should have went up to 7.6 but it only goes to 5

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I am. €22 p/m for 3Mb iirc
    No complaints.

886046061.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I called thejm they weren't sure if I can get a service in graig. I am looking at the 15mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

Just thought I'd stick this in here for good measure :rolleyes:

537080515.png

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

Let's see who has the sh1ttiest ISP. And yes, this is broadband. Appaently our line is 'Amber' - hence the "speed".

886081469.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

ShotgunBoy wrote: »
    Let's see who has the sh1ttiest ISP. And yes, this is broadband. Appaently our line is 'Amber' - hence the "speed".

886081469.png

I think I've actually got worse than that at some stage on Vodafone Mobile Broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Thanks all for keeping this going, just had a read of all the replies. I got so fed up with the speed I haven't really been online much at all!

Anyway, finally made a decision and am going to try Imagine WiMax.

Broadband 3Mb speed €30 inc vat per month

Landline € 5 inc vat per month
    Free national & UK calls off peak
    (after 6pm all weekends) €35 inc vat per month

There is a €150 fee for installation.

I'll let you all know how it is when I get it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

foxinsox wrote: »
    Thanks all for keeping this going, just had a read of all the replies. I got so fed up with the speed I haven't really been online much at all!

Anyway, finally made a decision and am going to try Imagine WiMax.

Broadband 3Mb speed €30 inc vat per month

Landline € 5 inc vat per month
    Free national & UK calls off peak
    (after 6pm all weekends) €35 inc vat per month

There is a €150 fee for installation.

I'll let you all know how it is when I get it. :)
    their bundle with unlimited calls is €45/month and they could be just as slow as your current provider!

20750443.png

i am on 3mb with vodafone about 1.5km from Carlow exchange but modem attenuation makes it as 3km or more

at the moment this exchange is supposed to be enabled for enhanced broadband but apart from my speeds moving up to approximately 4mbps and the ping time doubling there is no sign of any enhancement!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I am on UPC and I cannot fauls them, Great service and its never slow.

Here is my test. I am on the 5mb package

898257388.png

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I switched back to eircom after trying out vodafone & aptus as eircoms support is spot on and if there is a fault that needs an engineer call out they are very fast. Better the devil you know.

21331800.png
    898274150.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

DrZeuss wrote: »

8Mb ? But you get 31Mb? What's the catch?

8Mb ? But you get 31Mb? What's the catch?

Honestly I dont know, happens on this and on blacknights speed test,
    but I am really getting 5-8mb

Looks nice though, pity it wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've seen some posts mention that virus scanners can affect speed testers

Slydice wrote: »
    I've seen some posts mention that virus scanners can affect speed testers

I read that too, but even when I disable everything the speeds are still crazy. I use abeltronica speed test without problems

Well lads, need a bit of help..

Im moving into clayton court on the stapelstown road and upc have no coverage up there so what provider will i get??

Any recomandations?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

926462078.png

Not the worst out of everyone here, but it's still pretty bad=/

What annoy's me more is they sent us a letter saying we are getting a upgrade for free from 1mb to 5mb and the change will take place over the next few days and will not cost anything......few month's on nothing.

We switched to vodafone a good while ago now, and they said they had a new router sent out, but it's been 6months....The only thing I can say better about Vodafone is that I haven't needed any help (Call out's, internet not working etc etc) in over 6months, with Eircom ever week the internet would decide to pack it in and we'd have to call Eircom were some paki (Sorry if that offends you) would tell me to do what I've already tried!

I can't judge the other's in Carlow, but can say that most people I know say Digiweb are real cowboy's when you need help.

Hope this helps someone =)

I'd say clearwire would get a good signal there.

I'd say clearwire would get a good signal there.

Was that for me shay??

• Advertisement

Was that for me shay??

Yeah. The receiver for Clearwire is up near the Trainstation so I'd say the reception on Stapletown Road should be pretty decent.

AFAIK, you can take the modem on trail and see what you thinnk of it.

Advertisement