Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband provider for Carlow?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Ok I promised I'd let you know about Imagine Wimax.

I'm paying for 3Mb but have got up to 5Mb or more, typical as I go to test it on speedtest it just hovers above 3Mb!

I'm paying €30 per month for 3Mb and €5 per month for the landline with free national calls off peak.

It suits me and is so much better than the Vodafone mobile broadband I had.
    :)

927865207.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

moved to upc this week here's my results for the 15mb

931425577.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

patrickc wrote: »
    moved to upc this week here's my results for the 15mb

931425577.png

Nice I am waiting for my UPC Network connection, I am liking your speed :). I got an email saying my address is not on their system :(. What area do you live?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Nice I am waiting for my UPC Network connection, I am liking your speed :). I got an email saying my address is not on their system :(. What area do you live?
    im in graiguecullen and its pretty good havent warmed to the tv yet

936244778.png

Finally got it installed today :)

• Advertisement

936244778.png

Finally got it installed today :)

happy days, are you having any tv issues yet?

Nah got every thing sorted, then never activated the HD channel. Its amazing how good HD channels really look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Yeah. The receiver for Clearwire is up near the Trainstation so I'd say the reception on Stapletown Road should be pretty decent.

AFAIK, you can take the modem on trail and see what you thinnk of it.

Ive been trying the clearwire for the last few days and its crap... like my granny would be quicker... any other tips??
    Its really frustrating because i move less than a mile across town and its like broadband never existed up here..
    Wonder when upc will be putting down the fiber optic cable in this part of town??

patrickc wrote: »
    happy days, are you having any tv issues yet?

Are you experiencing connection drop on your network?

Are you experiencing connection drop on your network?

nope I havent been it has slowed a fair bit once or twice but mostly fine, there seems to a lag in web pages opening sometimes but works after myabe 30 seconds, just the first time I try use the net that day for some reason.

I turned off my firewell, as the pings were very high, seems to have made an improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ShayK1 wrote: »
    886046061.png

Finally got our free upgrade.

950297014.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

foxinsox wrote: »
    Ok I promised I'd let you know about Imagine Wimax.

I'm paying for 3Mb but have got up to 5Mb or more, typical as I go to test it on speedtest it just hovers above 3Mb!

I'm paying €30 per month for 3Mb and €5 per month for the landline with free national calls off peak.

It suits me and is so much better than the Vodafone mobile broadband I had.
    :)

927865207.png
    the trouble with them and clearwire is they can and will actively throttle your speed if you use excessive amounts of bandwidth so if you used a few GB in one day you may well find your speed dropped back to 2 or 1mbps or even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I'm on UPC 30 mb, and the connection still spikes from time to time. Didn't get tv or phone.

Get about 30mb dl speed and 1.6 upload.

€40 a month + €30 installation. If you order online you don't pay installation but in can take up to 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TowerIRL

Good to see the results from UPC :) I had clearwire and it just wasn't up for the job anymore, it was great a few years ago when broadband first came out but I'd say its one of the slowest now. I'm getting my UPC connected on tuesday so looking forward to that. Went for the 15MB package. I'll post my results when I can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the trouble with them and clearwire is they can and will actively throttle your speed if you use excessive amounts of bandwidth so if you used a few GB in one day you may well find your speed dropped back to 2 or 1mbps or even less.

Hi,

Can you explain that in "ladyspeak" please? :)

I really only use it for browsing, e-mails, looking at the odd youtube, don't download movies or music..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

foxinsox wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you explain that in "ladyspeak" please? :)

I really only use it for browsing, e-mails, looking at the odd youtube, don't download movies or music..

If you use your connection very heavily, you may find that the service provider hinder the speeds avaiable to you and your connection will get alot slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

clearwire would throttle my speed back to 60kbps for about a month if i used more than 1gb of the download allowance in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ScienceT

I got really excited reading about the speeds with UPC from Realistspy. I just rang them to see if they had connection in my area and the said no :( I have also so contacted Wimax people in the past and they don't have connection either .... Can anyone give me recommendations for Leighlinbridge? I am currently using a 3 dongle and I am regularly cut off. It's doing my brain in.

ScienceT wrote: »
    I got really excited reading about the speeds with UPC from Realistspy. I just rang them to see if they had connection in my area and the said no :( I have also so contacted Wimax people in the past and they don't have connection either .... Can anyone give me recommendations for Leighlinbridge? I am currently using a 3 dongle and I am regularly cut off. It's doing my brain in.

There is UPC in Leighlinbridge what part or estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I would have to recommend Aptus.ie as I said above I have them with nearly 2 years and never had an issue with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There is UPC in Leighlinbridge what part or estate?

http://www.upc.ie/map/

Enter a house number, any number will do, e.g. 1
    Enter street e.g. "leighlinbridge"
    The areas will appear in the list.

Judging by the very small address list it appears to be limited to a few houses served by MMDS only, so no hope of broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

957005934.png :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 XxjustepicxX

Hello i just placed and order online and i have to print a page and fill it in and send it to them?
    is this routine? when i send it to them will they contact me with a installation date? im not too sure..
    thanks for any help
    Xxjustepicxx

Hello i just placed and order online and i have to print a page and fill it in and send it to them?
    is this routine? when i send it to them will they contact me with a installation date? im not too sure..
    thanks for any help
    Xxjustepicxx

Yeh they usually call you everyday to confirm the date and they will email you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tharkun

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I am currently on imagine for Broadband and I hate it. The reason I got this was due to nothing else being available at the time.

I am looking to move to a faster connection but UPC was not available in the area.

Looking for a fast connection 15mb - 30mb min, for under €50 and with no stupid download limit or eircom (we are watching what you download) things.

Thanks

Yeh they usually call you everyday to confirm the date and they will email you.

RealistSpy I'm assuming you have digiweb metro in carlow then?? If so are u happy with the service do you get good speeds and reliability?
    I'm waiting on my installation so just curious..
    Thanks XxjustepicxX

Tharkun wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I am currently on imagine for Broadband and I hate it. The reason I got this was due to nothing else being available at the time.

I am looking to move to a faster connection but UPC was not available in the area.

Looking for a fast connection 15mb - 30mb min, for under €50 and with no stupid download limit or eircom (we are watching what you download) things.

Thanks

Tarkurn I know you want around 15mb for under €50 but I think digiweb metro 8mb could be the next best thing for you check digiweb.ie. Its €39.95 the cap is okay good speeds and free connection.
    Hope this helps..
    XxjustepicxX

RealistSpy I'm assuming you have digiweb metro in carlow then?? If so are u happy with the service do you get good speeds and reliability?
    I'm waiting on my installation so just curious..
    Thanks XxjustepicxX

I had digiweb am with UPC now due to the download limit digiweb has. I ended spending so much money on digiweb because I always pass the limit. Overall its a very very good service if you dont mind the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tharkun

Tarkurn I know you want around 15mb for under €50 but I think digiweb metro 8mb could be the next best thing for you check digiweb.ie. Its €39.95 the cap is okay good speeds and free connection.
    Hope this helps..
    XxjustepicxX

Cheers, will take a look at them.

• Advertisement

hello i just got digiweb installed today and i am rlly not happy with it i got 7.57mb today and now im gettin around 3mb and its via enthernet i have a wireless router connected up but it wont go local and internet it will only go local only on wireless plz help is there a setting i can change or sumthing?

Advertisement