Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze-up in Kilkenny

Options
  • 08-02-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

hi folks, i might go to kilkenny for a weekend sometime this spring, never been there before, and am looking for suggestions on nice pubs…my focus is on quality pints and a nice atmosphere (no stag parties etc.) for someone my age (40) with a friend or two…anything traditional or cool modern would be of interest…maybe someone can also recommend a nice b&b or hotel or something…any feedback welcome…cheers

p.s.: i am aware there are similar threads here but the ones i found seemed to be more focused on hen/stag parties etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Ryans, Friary Street
    Left Bank, The Parade
    Cleeres, Parliament Street
    Tynan's, John's Quay,
    Billy Byrne's, John Street

They cover the nice atmosphere, good pints, no stag and hen criteria so you'd be in good shape in any of those pubs.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A couple to ad to that...
    The Tholsel bar (hasn't changed much since 1970 probably) is a small sport (rugby) bar in town on the High St....
    The Nore Bar is very nice for a pint and If you wanted to stay in The Newpark Hotel then you could wander into town after stopping off at The Nore for a few.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Licksy wrote: »
    The Nore Bar is very nice for a pint and If you wanted to stay in The Newpark Hotel then you could wander into town after stopping off at The Nore for a few.

Nore bar does an excellent pint as does in Dohertys and Riedys. Pump House has a mixed bag of customers (not in a negative way) and the music is usually really good. The other pubs previously mentioned are all good spots.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'd start out in the Nore bar on greens bridge, a great little pub with the best Guinness in Kilkenny. Then head over the bridge into Irishtown, you have your pick here but Cleeres, O'Riodas and The Pumphouse are all good spots. You can also get some grub round here in Ming Dynasty, Italian Connection or La Rivista.

From here you can head towards the left bank for a more lively atmosphere, Tynans or Ryans are also good spots to finish off a night out.

Accomodation wise you really cant go wrong. Check out booking.com and you will find something to suit your budget and taste..

Best of luck, kk's a great place for a session!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Dont forget leinahans or Syd's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

+1 for Threadhead's recommendations.

You can head for Parliament Street and make your way along.
    First pub is ORiada's: Mature crowd, friendly, no music, great pints.
    Then The Pumphouse (my home!): Mixed crowd, good music, highly, highly recommended on a Sunday night with The Barflies playing, americana, indie, rootys stuff, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Springsteen, Nick Cave, Wilco, Dylan, Stones etc.
    Then Cleere's: good friendly crowd and staff (same as all the rest I'm mentioning), occasional gigs, good pub.
    Then skip Dignity (gay bar with horrific music and messy drinkers) and Phelan's (grumpy old men) and onto Anna Conda's which is open till 2am Friday and Saturday and gets the crowd from the other pubs.
    Make sure to wander up to Ryan's: live music every Friday/Saturday, always quality, flip all space though but good beer garden and great athmosphere.
    Throw in a visit to Billy Byrne's and Tynan's and you'll go home happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

thanks to all for the recommendations so far...great stuff...will be sure to check out as many of those as possible...

Advertisement