Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall plates (+Modular) options/suppliers.

Options
  • 08-02-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

We are working on a house at the moment that will be completely rewired with electric/cat6/coax cables..

My Dad wants to have everything uniform.. sockets and switches shouldn't be a problem but the cat6/coax also need to be unform which may be a bit tricky..

I'm thinking modular wall plates that will take any kind of module (cat6/coax/speaker/mains socket).

Has anybody here got any links to any decent suppliers of the above. Online/International preferably as they may be cheaper.

Also, has anybody got any pics of their setups to give me an idea of what is possible??

Has anybody ever seen oversized wall plates (imagine 2x2gang sockets, one above the other) and where to get them/pics etc..

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

i know click curva do a modular system with coax cat 6 etc. quite reasonably priced. afaik u can get modualr boxes to suit aswell. seen also some where a multi box ( 2 doubles and 2 singles etc) for a number of points. could use dado either if there was a few in one location?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Been looking for something similar myself. This is the only reasonably priced supplier I've come up with so far:
    TLC Direct (BTW no connection with me :D !)

Haven't purchased yet myself, but have purchased from TLC in the (distant!) past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Alright Lads,
    I've used that click stuff a few times now and have it in my own place. Its Sh1te. Frames are flimsy and the modules are usually loose. I did one house and used click 13 amp socket modules beside MK 5 amp socket modules and it's nearly impossible to pull a plug out the click one without pulling the module out of the frame no bother with the MK one . The old super glue has saved the day but obviously that should not be necessary. Legrand MK and GET all do modular systems. I'm sure many more do. Legrand and MK are a little naughty with their prices though. If you just make sure everything is euromod compatible you could buy your stuff from different manufacturers and it will work together. By the way if you still thinkin of Click they do an 8 module box which will cost you about 6 - 8 euro in the wholesalers but a regular 2 + 1 dual is the same size for 1.50. Just rip out the central lugs.

My 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Definitely can see modular fittings being unsuitable for 'heavy duty' items such as power sockets.
    How are they for smaller, media based items like network cabling, TV/Sat, etc.?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I have used that kit from tlc and found it ok. I used the blank modules to make my own own outlet plates for tv, sat, cctv etc.
    I came across this place and they seem a good bit cheaper for the same stuff.
    One thing I will say is that I have mk kit all over the house and when the two different wall plates are together they only look ok, not great only ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I've been checking out TLC Direct and they seem decent enough.

The problem is that I need to be able to get light switches and wall sockets to be uniform, no problem. But I also need to get modular wall plates that are also identical to the switches and sockets.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

We did up our house about a year ago and went with CED flatplate satin chrome fittings for all the main areas, from a local supplier. CED's website escapes me at present (I think they're a subsidiary of a larger manufacturer) but the local distributors carry them. Look good, and price is competitive.

As you say, sockets & light switches were easy to source (try and make sure wallboxes are fitted BEFORE plastering, in stud walls, to get a clean finish for the flat sockets -- our spark did a few of them afterwards, and it's noticeable if you're paying attention.) CED also do satellite and co-ax TV sockets in the same style, so no problems there.

CAT6 sockets were a lot trickier. After calling on the collected wisdom of boards, I ended up going to Temple Sales who supplied stainless steel frames with black CAT6 inserts that are a very close match for the satin chrome CED fittings - certainly enough to keep my other half satisfied. Be aware that all the CAT6 fittings I found were 45' angled, since there is a minimum bend radius requirement for CAT6 which is stricter than for CAT5 -- this means the sockets protrude out from the wall more than you might expect (about 1/2" past the front plate) though in practise, they look fine.

For speaker sockets, I went with stainless steel from CPC in the UK -- not a completely perfect match, but the sockets are mostly concealed behind furniture anyway.

I don't have any A/V-specific sockets but if I did, I imagine one of the suppliers above would have been able to do stainless steel matches. CAT6 was the big one to match against the CED stuff, since there are about 60 CAT6 sockets scattered throughout the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

keep in mind the extra depth required if using flatplate

Advertisement