Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS

Options
  • 08-02-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

THERE IS SOMEONE LODGING MONEY INTO MY ACC TOMMOROW,IVE GIVEN THEM MY ACC NUMBER AND SORT CODE,CAN THE BANK GIVE THEM MY ADDRESS?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

moving to the banking forum where it will get more replies.

the helpdesk forum is for probelms and complaints relating specifically to boards.ie as opposed to a generice ask anything helpdesk...

but to answer your question, no. not unless the person can answer the security question, confirm your date of birth and possibly answer random digit questions from your phone number and/or pin code. All depends on your bank but generally more than just an accoutn and sort code is required to access personal information.

ps. typig all in captial letters is considered "shouting" on text based communication sites. posibyl best to make sure your caps lock is off before hitting reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sarahw520

how do i move it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

sarahw520 wrote: »
    THERE IS SOMEONE LODGING MONEY INTO MY ACC TOMMOROW,IVE GIVEN THEM MY ACC NUMBER AND SORT CODE,CAN THE BANK GIVE THEM MY ADDRESS?

No the bank will not give out your address.

Under the Data Protection Act they cannot give out any personal information except under very clearly defined circumstances such as a sourt order.

what recourse do i have if they do give out my details?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The bank will not give out your details. What makes you think they would do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If you don't trust this person why are you giving them your banking details in the first place?

If they need to give you money then just get them to get a bankers draft and get them to post it to you by registered post, insured to the value of the draft, post you a cheque or meet them and get a big wedge of cash.

just incase,i dont want the person lodging to know my address thats why i only gave them my acc number and sort code

i do trust them i just dont want them to know my address

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

just incase,i dont want the person lodging to know my address thats why i only gave them my acc number and sort code

Very unusual that youre happy to accept money off them, but so worried they might find out about your address. Exactly like the last scumbag landlord I had who wanted to remain uncontactable when it came to such issues as getting my deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

sesna No need to make that insinuation here.

dudara

• Advertisement

im not a scumbag landlord,im a student,ive moved in2 a new house and i dont want this person to know where it is as they dont approve of the people im living with

look i only asked a question i dont need people prying just asnswering pls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

look i only asked a question i dont need people prying just asnswering pls

Nothing to worry about should that request arise presuming the bank official is properly informed of, and abides by the Data Protection Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Heres some info on the Data Protection Act which prohibits the bank from handing out your address and other personal information.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/RightsPlainEnglish.htm&CatID=16&m=r

excellent thanks so much for all your help

Advertisement