Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to dump cooking oil?

• 08-02-2010 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Was going to post this in the cookery section but my real concern is doing damage to pipes etc so said I'd put it here.

Have a few large bottles of cooking oil gone past their date for dumping but not sure where to put it. Down the toilet would cause blockage possibly, same with sink.

So where should I dump it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I soak it with bird food and give it to them before that i put it into a 2 ltr plastic bottle when cooled an throw it in my bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Alot of the large recycling centres have facilities for taking used cooking oil - you could give your nearest one a call. I'm sure it would be equally welcome.

Alot of the large recycling centres have facilities for taking used cooking oil - you could give your nearest one a call. I'm sure it would be equally welcome.

I reckon we will be filter cleaning it soon and adding it to our diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I reckon we will be filter cleaning it soon and adding it to our diesel.

No good if it has had meat cooked in it, bad for the injectors.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No good if it has had meat cooked in it, bad for the injectors.

OK. Then we will be making candles for when the lights go out ;)

Facenating pce of info though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Poured on the garden, would it not get broken down by bacteria?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Poured on the garden, would it not get broken down by bacteria?

Kill your grass/plant life I would Imagine. oil and water dont mix. Starve them of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The heating engineer purists may cry foul, but in the past I've added old vegetable oil to the kerosene tank for my oil burner! Afterall a couple of litres of this mixed in with a few hundred litres of kerosene will ensure good dilution. Far batter than dumping it down the drain and overloading the council treatment plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

The heating engineer purists may cry foul, but in the past I've added old vegetable oil to the kerosene tank for my oil burner! Afterall a couple of litres of this mixed in with a few hundred litres of kerosene will ensure good dilution. Far batter than dumping it down the drain and overloading the council treatment plant.

Interesting idea. Did it burn OK? Any fried food smells?

Advertisement