Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EOS 7D

• 08-02-2010 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi

Im thinking about splashing out and purchasing the Canon 7D. I have been doing some research and trying to find the best value and have come across this camera body here http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=7797&setcurrency=eur, it seems to be some of the best value for this camera

Can anyone any recomend Simply Electronics?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

photogal wrote: »

NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 photogal

Is there any online shop you would recomend then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hi

Im thinking about splashing out and purchasing the Canon 7D. I have been doing some research and trying to find the best value and have come across this camera body here http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=7797&setcurrency=eur, it seems to be some of the best value for this camera

http://www.google.com/search?q=simplyelectronics+scam

That is all.

Thanks! It did seem a little too good to be true.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Is there any online shop you would recomend then?

Stick with the usual suspects - Amazon, Pixmaina, Warehouseexpress or better still, try a bricks & mortar here in Ireland. Gunns, Conns etc.

Stay away from your first choice and there's a few other dodgy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bolomore

Hi,

I purchased an EOS 5d MkII, and a pair of pro lenses fromm HDEW last year. The prices were second to none and the service was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I bought a lens from The Camera Box aka Simply Electronics a couple of months ago. The day after receiving the order they rang me to check my address as they thought it was incomplete. It arrived 2 days later. I was very impressed with the price and the service. Maybe I was just lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I would not be so quick to dismiss simply electronics.
    I got my 5dMKii & kit lens from them and had no issues buying additional equipment.

The first item I ever ordered from them was a 580EXII flash and it took forever for them to contact me with a shipping date.
    I signed up to http://www.avforums.com/ as they have a thread dedicated to issues with SE. I contacted the head of customer care directly through AVForums. She is very active on the forums and was very apologetic about my issues. As a result I spent over 4k with them since that first incident.

Warehouse express are also very good to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

bricks and mortar in dublin you can't beat conns of grafton street. They always do great deals, Mike, one of the owners (if nit the main one) is very active in there and always on top of his staff, they're very well educated on the gear and on top of great prices they can sometimes throw in after purchase deals such as a free wet sensor clean etc. there prices are pretty good and I've seen the invoices they get for some of the gear, and they make very little on it. They also pass on deals to the customer eg at the minute they've got a nikon 70-300 at a reduced price as when they buy 6 they get a 7th free, so they've divided there saving through the stock!

No affiliation other than a very loyal customer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

alexlyons wrote: »
    bricks and mortar in dublin you can't beat conns of grafton street.
    Yeah you can, just go to Gunns. That said, Mike does know his stuff even if he comes across as a bit of a sleazy salesman. I wouldn't deal with anyone else in there though. Two other members of staff lied straight to my face before about both cameras and lenses, thinking I didn't know anything. I guess they get a lot of people in there like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

bricks and mortar in dublin you can't beat conns

For the highest prices you mean? By a long way. Go to Gunns and save yourself a fortune and get fantastic service.

Valentia wrote: »
    For the highest prices you mean? By a long way. Go to Gunns and save yourself a fortune and get fantastic service.

not a chance of the highest price, I'd get your facts straight. do gunns have a website per chance?

not a chance of the highest price, I'd get your facts straight. do gunns have a website per chance?

I don't know what planet you are on but even a cursory search here will give you umpteen examples of Conns ridiculous prices. No Gunns don't have a web site. They do have a phone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

bricks and mortar in dublin you can't beat conns of grafton street. They always do great deals, Mike, one of the owners (if nit the main one) is very active in there and always on top of his staff, they're very well educated on the gear and on top of great prices they can sometimes throw in after purchase deals such as a free wet sensor clean etc. there prices are pretty good and I've seen the invoices they get for some of the gear, and they make very little on it. They also pass on deals to the customer eg at the minute they've got a nikon 70-300 at a reduced price as when they buy 6 they get a 7th free, so they've divided there saving through the stock!

No affiliation other than a very loyal customer!

:D:D:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Bricks and Mortar, are you serious. Prices are ridiculous in Ireland. Just make sure you get a warranty and you'll be fine.

I have a friend who was gotten two lenses through simplyelectronics, they're definitely not a scam, a lot of people just get very upset if they don't get their product within two days of ordering it. Just be aware it might take a while to get to you.

There's plenty of ebay shops that have prices close to simplyelectronics as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Effects wrote: »
    Mike does know his stuff even if he comes across as a bit of a sleazy salesman.

You should try being female in there... :mad: Condescending is not the word..

By all means shop around. But every *single* time I've done a price comparison Gunns have been cheapest by far and Conns the most expensive. Three days ago - 50 quid for a hoya filter in Conns, 42 in Gunns. And it's the same with everything. The only difference is Gunns don't carry 2nd hand gear. But sure Camera Exchange does.

As for online, I think most people here would recommend Kea - www.keaphoto.com Got my 5D there and it was in my sweaty little hands in three days. Really excellent service too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Isn't Kea outside the EU though?
    Who's the guy in Scotland that everyone seems to use?

Kerso isn't it? I read that he does most of his sales privately these days instead of through ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

sineadw wrote: »
    You should try being female in there... :mad: Condescending is not the word..

The wife would totally agree. She was told to listen to the professional and buy something other than she wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I just ordered a 7D on Saturday from Pixmania. I didn't even look around - silly me. I think as Veruca Salt would say "Don't care how, I want it now!"
    I just felt like splashing out and getting myself something cool. I thought it would have shipped by now but it looks like it'll be a few more days before it is in stock:(

I just ordered a 7D on Saturday from Pixmania. I didn't even look around - silly me. I just felt like splashing out and getting myself something cool. I thought it would have shipped by now but it looks like it'll be a few more days before it is in stock:(

would you not cancel it as it hasn't shipped and find a better deal?

• Advertisement

would you not cancel it as it hasn't shipped and find a better deal?

I just might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just to big up Gunns again. I was in there on Saturday with my 50mm 1.4 that the focus is bust on. I've lost the receipt since I bought the lens but that wasn't a problem. They keep a written record of everything they sell so it was no problem getting it sent off to be fixed under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Funny that i just found this thread, have been pricing a 50D body -

Conns (website) €799
    Gunns €995

gs39t wrote: »
    Funny that i just found this thread, have been pricing a 50D body -

Conns (website) €799
    Gunns €995

priced a 55-200 nikon VR lense
    Conns €249
    Gunns €279

thats without any sort of discount that'll get from conns for just walking in there. Was in gunns today, shop is tiny, everything thing is all over the place, there is virtually no gear on display inside (there is a bit in the window outside but its often lashing rain!) and the place in general wasn't very nice. The staff were very friendly and new there stuff, but dealing with mike in conns is such a much nicer experience and for the very rare occasion I might pay slightly more in conns, I'd rather that with a nice shop, gear on display and also a good salesman (granted the others in conns can be very uninformed). different strokes for different folks I suppose.

@Valentia that kind of suits me for a cursory search and conns come out on top in both cases, as I said there may be the odd time they're not, but I'd rather that for the reasons stated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

priced a 55-200 nikon VR lense
    Conns €249
    Gunns €279

thats without any sort of discount that'll get from conns for just walking in there. Was in gunns today, shop is tiny, everything thing is all over the place, there is virtually no gear on display inside (there is a bit in the window outside but its often lashing rain!) and the place in general wasn't very nice. The staff were very friendly and new there stuff, but dealing with mike in conns is such a much nicer experience and for the very rare occasion I might pay slightly more in conns, I'd rather that with a nice shop, gear on display and also a good salesman (granted the others in conns can be very uninformed). different strokes for different folks I suppose.

@Valentia that kind of suits me for a cursory search and conns come out on top in both cases, as I said there may be the odd time they're not, but I'd rather that for the reasons stated above.

Thats a very good point about Gunns. Don't get me wrong, they are the nicest people to deal with but their shop is just wrong.

It's not a sort of shop that you can browse around ; neither is Conns for that matter but it has a nicer look to it.

I would love Gunns to have a website instead of ringing them to get prices.

I suppose Gunns does have cheaper prices but you need to know exactly what you want before walking in there.

Fair enough with the prices, although I'm surprised.

People seriously get sucked in by the shiny shelves though? I think I'd rather have service. @bernard - that's the crap I get from them just about every time I've been in there. Twattery of the highest order.

Different strokes indeed!

that's the crap I get from them just about every time I've been in there. Twattery of the highest order.

have you ever dealt with mike in conns? i'd almost go so far as to say he is the only staff member there, the rest are idiots, within reason, nice guys, but know very little about cameras. Surprised about how they treat women though, but I don't believe all the guys in there do that.

Is he the older, kind of skinny grey-haired guy?

Is he the older, kind of skinny grey-haired guy?

ye kind of shorter than the rest. I seriously wouldn't believe if he was like that as well, I know the chap very well, almost friends at this stage, went to the same school and all ;).

• Advertisement

I'm afraid so! That's exactly the guy I meant. Sorry! Maybe he's nervous around women or something ;)

I'm afraid so! That's exactly the guy I meant. Sorry! Maybe he's nervous around women or something ;)

no need to apologise! I'm just extremely surprised. Want to share a few details surrounding the circumstance? Don't worry, I;m not gonna go back to him and be like "wait till I tell ya.."!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol sinead I would not show my face in there after this, no way he keeps your badmouthing to himself :pac:

Congrats on the prices there gang. Quite an achievement to find one thing cheaper but two. Wow!!!

Yeah, Gunns is all so totally wrong :D Brilliant!! The only thing wrong wth Gunns is that there aren't enough places like it left.

Valentia wrote: »
    Congrats on the prices there gang. Quite an achievement to find one thing cheaper but two. Wow!!!

Yeah, Gunns is all so totally wrong :D Brilliant!! The only thing wrong wth Gunns is that there aren't enough places like it left.

Tbh it's these differences of opinions are what keep the comptetion. And Conns the cheapest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

So how would the 7D compare to the 1D Mark 3 for Image Quality? Say for Sports Photos???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

tororosso wrote: »
    So how would the 7D compare to the 1D Mark 3 for Image Quality? Say for Sports Photos???

pretty well from the reviews apparently ...

it seems an amazing camera, i feel a little cheated with the way better
    focus the the 5d mk ii ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ian Kerr, aka Kerso, is the dude in Scotland. He's slow to respond to queries at times but is an excellent seller. I bought my 580EX and 70-200 f2.8 IS L from him.
    (I also got a €100 Canon rebate on the 70-200, since his imports are all declared I think)
    He'll sell outside ebay if you contact him and give your a better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

5uspect wrote: »
    Ian Kerr, aka Kerso, is the dude in Scotland. He's slow to respond to queries at times but is an excellent seller. I bought my 580EX and 70-200 f2.8 IS L from him.
    (I also got a €100 Canon rebate on the 70-200, since his imports are all declared I think)

Does he sell Nikon stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

swingking wrote: »
    I would love Gunns to have a website instead of ringing them to get prices.

www.johngunn.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

ciaranmc wrote: »

There's no prices on it though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    Does he sell Nikon stuff?

I'm not sure. He had Canon, Oly and Pentax on his ebay page.
    Sure email him and ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

The grey haired guy in Conns is the one who told me a while back that the 40d was discontinued (when it wasnt) and I would have to buy a 50d. Ended up buying in gunns and I have to say I was very impressed. I am looking at a new lens for my birthday and It is my intention to go back.

5uspect wrote: »

Hi
    Would you have contact details for this guy? Thanks!
    Im not near Dublin so will be most likely buying the Canon 7D Online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Hi
    Would you have contact details for this guy? Thanks!
    Im not near Dublin so will be most likely buying the Canon 7D Online.

Kerso - Ebay

His prices are usually pretty good , you can compare his prices to most UK B&M Stores and online retaillers here

Just got a txt that my 7D arrived!! Can't wait til 5 now to get out of work and play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Just got a txt that my 7D arrived!! Can't wait til 5 now to get out of work and play with it.

Ok I read this earlier on in work and couldnt post back! So you have been playing with it for a few hours..Report please?! :cool:

tororosso wrote: »
    Ok I read this earlier on in work and couldnt post back! So you have been playing with it for a few hours..Report please?! :cool:

I saw this earlier and was still dancing in anticipation while the battery was charging.
    From a quick mess of it and checking it out I have to say.... I LOVE IT!!

I've played with my friend's 500d and prefered how to change manual settings on my 400d. I was worried that the 7D might be more similar to his 500d in that respect but it is different to both and took 2 seconds to figure out, it's very conveniant. I'll know better when I get using it at a gig but for now, from just messing with it at home it's fantastic. Can't wait to take a photo worth posting to show the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I expect to see something like this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

How long of a time lapse can a 7 d shoot with CF cards?

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, I bought my canon 7d from www.keaphoto.com and am very excited and getting it in the post!

• Advertisement
Advertisement