Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp bathroom

• 08-02-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

DIY Enthusiasts,

I have a damp problem in my bathroom...every now and again I have to scrub the ceiling/walls. It's a smallish bathroom with no windows and a fairly ineffectual fan in it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to alleviate this problem? Someone said to me that the electrics wouldn't be able to support a bigger fan :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

DIY Enthusiasts,

I have a damp problem in my bathroom...every now and again I have to scrub the ceiling/walls. It's a smallish bathroom with no windows and a fairly ineffectual fan in it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to alleviate this problem? Someone said to me that the electrics wouldn't be able to support a bigger fan :confused:

By the sound of it I'd say you need a better fan, and it can't be true that the electrics wouldn't be able to support one. The fuse/MCB for the existing fan might be under rated, but it should be possible to run heavier cables through the same conduits and put in a higher rated fuse/MCB. Even a six amp lighting circuit could supply a 1 KW fan, and that's a fair bit of fan.

NOTE before I get flamed -- I am NOT suggesting you do that unless you are professionally competent, registered with the relevant health and safety organisations, and are kind to dogs:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can try another fan. Get a sparks to connect it to the light. If this does not work you might need to cut a hole in the wall to allow airchanges.

I once seen a house with this problem and what they did was put a vent in the door.(Bear with me) it solved the problem, gave the air changes. Saved cutting a hole in the wall.

However this might sound a bit simple. Is your fan extracting or blowing aire in

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

It's a relatively new extractor fan, not sure what the power of it it. I'll take a snap of it and post it up here, see what you reckon. It's in an apartment block so no option to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

You can try another fan. Get a sparks to connect it to the light. If this does not work you might need to cut a hole in the wall to allow airchanges.

I once seen a house with this problem and what they did was put a vent in the door.(Bear with me) it solved the problem, gave the air changes. Saved cutting a hole in the wall.

However this might sound a bit simple. Is your fan extracting or blowing aire in

Have to agree 100% with Joey, had the same problem at home on the ceiling of my en-suite, it was causing mold to grow in one particular spot. Installed a fan but still the dampness persisted. The door was sealing so well on the en-suite, not enough air could get in for the required air changes. Did not fancy cutting a hole in the door to install a vent so instead planed the bottom of the door about ¼” and that gave enough gap to allow air in. Also reinsulated the ceiling to stop the cold air getting to the back of the plaster board/ ceiling. Problem solved.

Advertisement