Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Superman (1978)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Donner film definitely remains the best adaptation of Superman thus far, but it wasn't without its strange creative choices: first and foremost being that bizarre poetic inner monologue of Lois' while sharing a flight. Never understood the point of that. And had the Internet been around in 78 I'm sure the 'spin the earth backwards to reverse time' climax would have caused a meltdown :D

Wonder why Lex has remained such a badly interpreted character though: the Bruce Timm version remains the best on screen adaptation but in the cinema he gets turned into this campy, giggling Dr Evil type and it has never worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wedwood wrote: »

Any of us who were kids in the late 70's early 80's were probably one of the luckiest generations going to the cinema starting with the likes of Jaws, then Star Wars, Superman, Close Encounters, Alien, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman 2, Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan, ET, Return of the Jedi, Temple of Doom.

Ah now you're just show your age (about same as mine by the sound of it) but yes it was an era when genuine spectacle had been re-discovered having gone out of fashion when the big studios went into relative decline in the mid 60s and then the New Hollywood movie brats took over the creative side. It was lucky that a few of them remembered what they really liked as children themselves and were allowed the budget for Jaws, Star Wars which then saw the same people ruin Hollywood by making the blockbuster the only currency worth having as far as the Studios were concerned. Hence bloated stupid Marvel and DC Comic nonsense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

566c4581bf0e10161e8ccbcd365c1e27.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's slightly out of whack time wise - its the 60s/70s born that my post refers to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Whoops, I wasn't being snarky towards you there, I was being snarky towards westwood! The actual generations don't matter, I just love how that image manages to frame that kind of 'man, my childhood was way more special' nostalgia in such a sh*t manner.

Sure your post was completely reasonable

Advertisement