Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Scientific to shed 175 jobs.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

maninasia wrote: »
    This is a normal part of ups and downs of these companies. This industry is highly regulated, niche experience based and capital intensive. They can't just build a plant somewhere else overnight, even if they did it's very risky due to chance of f^&kups in production and QC.

Capital intensive ?
    No.

Just ask Dell, their Polish factory was already built before the redunancies in Limerick were announced. You are codding yourself if you think the factory and jobs cannot be done anywhere else and started within 2 months. I have seen it happen abroad. QC is a European invention, usually when factories are established and they have spare staff around to do QC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Capital intensive ?
    No.

Just ask Dell, their Polish factory was already built before the redunancies in Limerick were announced. You are codding yourself if you think the factory and jobs cannot be done anywhere else and started within 2 months. I have seen it happen abroad. QC is a European invention, usually when factories are established and they have spare staff around to do QC.

I am only coming at this from a laymans point of view but surely that cant be right. Now it may apply in the case of Dell as if a computer breaks down well Ok you get a new part, but a medical device? are you telling me that devices made in other parts of the world are not checked for quality etc?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Capital intensive ?
    No.

LOL.

To sell medical devices a company needs approval from the regulatory body for that territory. This is granted after a quality audit of the manufacturing plant and assessment of the development of the product and clinical trial results. QC is massively important because even a small slip up could cost a patient their life, devalue the company name, affect sales and cost jobs. Anyone who's had to deal with FDA auditors will know how important quality is in the medical device business.

Galway plants are known to be excellent at getting the FDA's approval even where American plants have failed and because of this new products are often given to Galway to complete out the R&D phase and start production. The government incentives brought the companies here but it's the excellent quality record that keeps them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FDA are very particular alright, kind of strange when you think an American agency can just bust in and do surprise audits and inspections on Irish soil like that, price you pay for access to the American market though.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Thargor wrote: »
    FDA are very particular alright, kind of strange when you think an American agency can just bust in and do surprise audits and inspections on Irish soil like that, price you pay for access to the American market though.

FDA audits do give warnings of audits. I never see a surprise audit in the Medical device Company I work in.

Each area has there own audits, i.e. Japan, EU, USA so if say you fail the EU audit you can still sell in the other regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

different type of product to the ones made in Galway and although bad for company,should have little or no impact on the plant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

different type of product to the ones made in Galway and although bad for company,should have little or no impact on the plant here.

I don't know about that, if they are 6 billion in debt I think it might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Starie1975 wrote: »

God that article makes very scary reading for anyone working in Boston.
    I know of 2 people with many years experience who were let go recently and they say there are ongoing cuts there at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

wishful thinking.
    if a company is bleeding cash it will do all it can before it bleeds to death. Im sure the overheads in Galway are a tiny bit higher than overheads in Costa Rica.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

65 more jobs to go now.mostly higher level but 20 further product builders on top of 175.2 plants now opened in Costa Rica,not looking good.would be a disaster for galway

Yes its actually around 300 people being let go from Galway, although they aren't putting that information out to the public for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Yes its actually around 300 people being let go from Galway, although they aren't putting that information out to the public for some reason...
    Same thing happened with Nortel when it went under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Capital intensive ?
    No.

You really cant compare Dell to Boston Scientific!! Dell just clips computer chips into PC cases. Low skill and easily moved anywhere. If you move a workstep from one line to another in the same building in somewhere like Boston it has to be qualified and a mountain of documentation produced! Moving an entire factory takes alot of time and money. Not to mention getting the skilled support staff etc.

QC is also essential in Medical Devices!! Saying its a european invention is ridiculous!!

Advertisement