Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel tax allowance? Any info please

• 08-02-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Sorry to stick this in motors but not really sure where to put it. Feel free to move to an appropriate section.

Am i entitled to a travel expense allowance? I'm spending roughly €4000 a year on traveling to work when petrol, road tax and tolls are included. Am i entitled to a tax credit for some of this?

Paying a toll of €1.90 each way to go 30miles really pisses me off. I (and the other road users obviously) am basically paying twice the tax of anyone else in the country to use a 12km stretch of road. Sickening really.

Could anyone fill me in on what if anything i can claim back from the revenue? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In short, no, you are not entitled to anything. If you travel from home to a client's premises or to a company meeting held outside your normal place of work, your employer can re-imburse you for the cost without attracting tax (as long as it's vouched, otherwise limits apply).

Surely you don't have to use a tolled road to get to work?

If public transport is an option and your employer is willing to sign up to the scheme, the cost of annual/monthly tickets is an allowable expense against your PAYE, PRSI and levies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Thanks for the reply. Well no I dont have to use it but going the old road is a much less pleasant experience. I have to get up at 6.20am as it is and i dont get home till 7.30pm so I dont feel like making my day any longer than it has to be. However I do not think I should have to pay €740 more in road tax than other road users for the privilege of using a bog standard stretch of motorway.

There should definitely be some allowance for tolls considering how bloody expensive they are here.

Public transport an option?! Ha, public transport? What is that? I am completely unfamiliar with this concept. Please elaborate as to the meaning of this phrase.

A utterly pointless letter to a TD is in order me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

There are literally 100,000+ people paying tolls to go to work in this country so you're not really exceptional.

The M50 is 3 euro each way, that's 6 euro a day which is 1560 a year (5 days a week, 52 weeks a year).

Get one of those eflow tags they can work out cheaper.

colm_c wrote: »
    There are literally 100,000+ people paying tolls to go to work in this country so you're not really exceptional.

The M50 is 3 euro each way, that's 6 euro a day which is 1560 a year (5 days a week, 52 weeks a year).

Get one of those eflow tags they can work out cheaper.

I never said i was the only one paying. I just think there should be a tax break for people paying tolls. The M50 toll is a disgraceful price. I suppose with the Greens in power there isnt a hope of a tax break being introduced as it "encourages" people to use public transport.

That means there are 2,400,000 road users NOT paying tolls to go to work.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are making choices about how to get to work and unfortunately those choices involve spending money. Writing a letter to your TD would more than likely do sweet FA in the normal course of events but in this situation will just give them a laugh!

If there were tax breaks for toll payers, whats the point in having tolls then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oi really hate having to pay taxes and then to pay €1.60 on the bus. Loike Oi've paid for the bus already.

You decide to use 100km of road per day, I use 8km. You drive by yourself, I car share with 50 people. You "paid less" for your property, pay for your tolls out of your savings on housing costs.

kbannon wrote: »
    You are making choices about how to get to work and unfortunately those choices involve spending money. Writing a letter to your TD would more than likely do sweet FA in the normal course of events but in this situation will just give them a laugh!

why do you get rent allowance? Whats the difference? Im intrigued to know why people living near their place of work deserve a tax break yet people who drive to work dont deserve one?

Victor wrote: »
    Oi really hate having to pay taxes and then to pay €1.60 on the bus. Loike Oi've paid for the bus already.

You decide to use 100km of road per day, I use 8km. You drive by yourself, I car share with 50 people. You "paid less" for your property, pay for your tolls out of your savings on housing costs.

Ive paid taxes in petrol and road tax already. What tax have you paid for using the bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

samsemtex wrote: »
    Ive paid taxes in petrol and road tax already. What tax have you paid for using the bus?

Income tax is one.

There is no road tax, there is a motor tax. And revenue from motor tax is not used exclusively for roads, in fact some of it will end up to subsidise public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote: »
    To subsidise toll companies, just like we subsidised bankers and property developers. Its not who receives the tax breaks, its who benefits from it.
    why do you get rent allowance? Whats the difference? Im intrigued to know why people living near their place of work deserve a tax break yet people who drive to work dont deserve one?
    Because you are doing something that is considered economically undesireable.

• Advertisement

To subsidise toll companies, just like we subsidised bankers and property developers. Its not who receives the tax breaks, its who benefits from it.

Yes, living in the countryside is so undesirable :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BillyBoyBad

Yes, living in the countryside is so undesirable :rolleyes:

Could we put away the handbags ladies?

The OP's question has been answered I think.

Advertisement