Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing: Landlord resident vs house share

Options
  • 08-02-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the position that I need to find a room in a house. I have seen a few shared houses and they have been horrible, really dirty or run down and asking ridiculous money.

There are quite a few nice places to let on daft but they're mostly owner occupied. I read up on the disadvantages of sharing with the landlord.

I have been offered a room in a very nice house but it is owner occupied and he wasn't looking for a deposit which I thought was odd.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this and any stories or experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From what I've read here, it's hit and miss. Some are cool, some expect you to stay in your room, and not go into their sitting room, their kitchen, their... etc, etc.

He may not be looking for a deposit, as this may be his first time letting his room. This could be good, in that he doesn't have 500 rules from the last ar$ehole he let the room to, or bad, as he doesn't guite understand that as you're paying rent, you're entitled to watch the TV in the sitting room as well.

Me, I've rented some good, some bad, and what looked like a converted shed: never lived with a landlord, bar diggs when in college, but they were cool enough about it, and I wasn't there all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I lived in both. Spent longer living in the owner occupied house. We became good friends but there were still some things that would kinda bug me sometimes-if she wanted to watch something on tv or the very very odd time she'd have a party downstairs while i was trying to sleep upstairs cos i'd work or something the next day. I'd be wary saying anything cos it was always in the back of my mind it was her house.
    In saying that even living in the rented house wasn't totally easy going-the girl who was there the longest kinda acted like it was her house at times!
    But like already said,it can be good or bad,depends on landlords or other tenants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

KTRIC wrote: »
    I have seen a few shared houses and they have been horrible, really dirty or run down.....I have been offered a room in a very nice house but it is owner occupied and he wasn't looking for a deposit which I thought was odd.
    I have rented rooms for the past 4 years as an owner occupier. It cuts both ways is what i would say.
    The most important thing for BOTH parties is to work out what way things should work BEFORE moving in. Yes, owner occupiers can be fussier but on the flip side, you get a house thats in good condition, repairs & problems are more likely to get sorted faster and they sort out all the bills. Also, can be other benefits where owner pays SKY, bins, broadband, tv license etc.
    Problems can arise in any type of house share. However, in the case of clashing personalities in this scenario, the best thing you can do is to make other plans as the owner can't up and leave!

Advertisement