Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D50 & D90 lenses

• 08-02-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I have a D50 and a D90, the old man is using the D50 since I upgraded, he won a few awards in his day and wants to get back into it and its a perfect camera for him to get up to speed with DLSR's, while me using the D90 is brilliant for my student budget (not studying photography) etc.

The D50 came with the 18-55 and I got a sigma 70-300 APO (pretty certain it has the motor in it). When I got the D90 I decided to get the kit 18-105 VR.

The ol' man borrowed my 18-105 once and now won't use the 18-55, which is understandable! But he is getting sick of having to borrow my lens, and there have been a few times when I need it, so he know wants his own, but wisely, won't get the same as its a waste. We were looking at the Nikon 18-200 VRII, I can get the VRI for 499 but that has to be now, and not in 3 or 4 months as we were hoping. I looked at the sigma 18-200 and from what I saw, it is worth the extra few bob for the nikon. His brother is in the states and is pretty generous and its my dad's birthday in may so we may drop a hint, as gifts from the states aren't taxable (AFAIK?!) so that way the nikon would be a no-brainer.
    Any thoughts on that lens, or alternatives in and around the price range for similar quality, focus speed etc?

Also, I'm looking at a replacement for my sigma. I thought of either the nikon 55-200 or the nikon 70-300. There is a large enough difference in price so what would people think? I've heard the 55-200 isn't as fast and the 70-300 was described as being "in a different league altogether". Same question, alternatives? thoughts or experiences on all of the lenses mentioned? BTW i'll get about 100 trade in on the sigma.

Final thing, the old man wants a decent flash. I have an SB-600 which I got in march 2007 and served me well. Is there much difference between that and the 900? I was thinking of going splitsies with him on a 900 and giving him my 600 as I would benefit way more from the 900, if there is much to benefit from? I'm getting more into casual portrait shots, specifically conferences that the organiser wants recorded as they have a sort of historical value (long story).
    Would the 900 be a lot better than the 600? or should we save the shillings? I quite like the ability of a battery pack on the 900..

Any and all thoughts would be great, I appreciate its a long post and I've looked at a lot of options, but all experiences etc would be great, don't read and think my reply would be ignored!!

Advertisement