Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Performing Bull

• 08-02-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hypothetical question:

If you sell a bull for breeding, either in the mart or privately and he subsequently fails to "perform", what is the fairest solution for both the vendor and purchaser? I can imagine some vendors giving the two fingers and some purchasers looking for the kitchen sink, but in your opinions, what is the fairest compromise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we gave a second bull at a very good price as the other owner had sold dud to the factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

happened us last year. we took him back and gave the man his money back. unfortunatly the rest of the bulls were sold so couldnt offer him replacement. i'd immagine if u got a bad apple he could insist on compo for loss of earnings due to later start to calving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

whelan1 wrote: »
    we gave a second bull at a very good price as the other owner had sold dud to the factory

id have given him the bull free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Its a chance the buyer takes, he can take u up for nothin as 'ceviot emptor' or 'buyer beware' applies and a farmer cant guarantee a bull will be good bad or useless. It boils down to what kinda people are involved, if it was me i would give him his money back and a choice on any of the other bulls i would have, i wouldnt like it to happen to me nor would i like to happen on the cuf of 1 of my bulls

ye just depends on who you are dealing with luckily last year we kept a bull for ourselves and to all intents and purposes we think the bull was gay !!!! he just wanted back to his male comrades and didnt even look at a female - good job we didnt sell him to anyone:D

• Advertisement

irishh_bob wrote: »
    id have given him the bull free
    he had already gotten a very good price in the factory for him which was more than what he initially paid us:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we sold a dud a couple of years ago, and hadn't a sub to offer in replacement, he send the bull to factory and we paid him the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I think you would have come back wath the mart you got him at?? but if you were anygood at all you would see the cows bullin every 3 weeks

Hypothetical question:

If you sell a bull for breeding, either in the mart or privately and he subsequently fails to "perform", what is the fairest solution for both the vendor and purchaser? I can imagine some vendors giving the two fingers and some purchasers looking for the kitchen sink, but in your opinions, what is the fairest compromise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I bought a hereford bull 15 years ago who had no interest in cows bulling so I got back to the breeder he said to give him a hormone injection, which I did and he worked perfect up to 2 years after when I sold him on for breeding. The hormone injection cost £24 back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Good replies there folks. I remember back in the day, my father selling a bull with papers in the mart for fairly small money. Around 10 weeks later a guy came out of the woodwork who had bought the bull, claiming that he was no good. There was no bull to offer as a replacement, so the guy was jumping up and down demanding transport costs, mart fees and the cost of testing him before being returned. The crowning glory was when he started looking for so much per day for feeding him! In the finish, he was paid off as it wasn't worth the hassle for such a small sum of money. The bull ended up becoming hamburgers shortly afterwards!
    The Pedigree Cattle Breeders Council of Ireland have rules stating that the buyer has 3 months to try out the bull and can then return him if he doesn't perform. Compensation in this case is limited to a maximum of 10% of the purchase price. There is an onus on the purchaser to get a vet to examine the bull and the females he was running with to ensure that all is above board. If the bull puts one female incalf, he is deemed to be ok and no claim is entertained.
    Personally, I feel that the purchaser should either get a straight replacement or the hammer price back, no more or no less. I everyone is acting in good faith, I think any normal person would be happy with such an arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

whelan1 wrote: »
    he had already gotten a very good price in the factory for him which was more than what he initially paid us:eek:

surely he would have had a bunch of cows not in calf , on time

he had him with another bull with heifers

Advertisement