Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

bought nissan vanette converted into little camper, am very confused, need help

• 08-02-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41

I have been looking at the boards and wasting a few hours of my life trying to get answers from the dept of transport phone line (and isn't their automated phone system a joy to navigate:mad:) and motor tax offices and I am still very confused

Its a small nissan vanette, 1445 kg unladen weight, 01. It has been taxed and DOE-ed up until Dec last year as a commercial vehicle. It has its original front seats the only mods are a proper roof vent, one window, storage, back seat that pulls into a bed, sink and cooker.

The tax last year was 250 and insurance 450 (not for me, I may get a lower premium as I am female and 40, with a C class, clean, licence and full no claims on my regular car)

My questions, it seems that I will need to get a DOE whether its a camper or commercial, I know the tax is lower but is it worth the hassle of getting it re-registered as a camper, because the stove is not fixed.

The stove is mounted on a pull out section under the sink, am i right in believing that that makes it not a campervan? If I were to simply screw it down for the purposes of the engineers report, would that do (screwing it down will mean that it blocks one of the side doors). Then if it were to 'accidentally' become unscrewed, would this invalidate my insurance??

is there a minimum dimension to allow something to be specified as a campervan?

And since I have never owned a commercial vehicle before, is there a limit on where and how much you can drive them on regular van insurance?

And I am hoping to pack up and go to szigit festival in Budapest in the summer (have to love those long academic holidays) if anyone has made the trip in a camper, or been at the festival, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
    Edel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you will get hit for hight VRT as it's going to have a low standing height. First thing is asks about insurance, contact dolmin insirance, they'll want to see photos - I think they'll say it's not a camper.

Now the VRT - take it in if they say it's not a camper and must say commericl get it in writing then you are taxed comerical and get comerical insurance but the tax man can't stop you and take it off you as you shoed it to him already - personaly I'd leave it as it that way it's a stealy camper and you'll be able to overnight on streets easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hungryhippo89

Hi there, just came across this and noticed you are converting a nissan vanette into a camper. I am also doing the same, i have a 2000 nissan vanette which i got in summer and fitted benches and a sofa which can pull out as a bed for sleeping in. I have also fitted extra speakers in the back and an inverter so i can plug normal things into the socket . I use the van mainly for surf trips so i need to maximise the space i have in the back...

few questions for you....
    How did you fit a bed and still have a comfortable space to sit and relax in?
    Do you have any photos? I can post some of my van if your interested....

Also with regard to trying to officially convert it to a camper, your going to struggle because the rules are that you must be able to stand up in it and even if you put a pop top roof on it you will not be fully classed as a camper or get the full discounts.... I have tried to do what you are doing but it seems that it wont work, let me know how it goes anyway... And please post a few pics....
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think a pop top will get you the height for insurance and revenue purposes, if you can get one to fit. However, I haven't asked for a self build/ self install, but I know that type 2 VW's with a pop top are classified with revenue as motorcaravans and can be insured as such.

For a self build they're also telling me you need a walk through from the cab. Which is a pain when belted seats are an issue, and also doesn't seem to be an issue with factory conversions.

A rock n roll bed is the traditional rear seat bench/ bed, a la the vw campers. Google will give you loads of pictures.

Advertisement