Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Cover Letter - How do you do a great one?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I'm applying for a funded PhD in QUB and they need a cover letter. I've only managed to do up an academic cv (I looked at about half a dozen of them and followed a similar format). It's just now I've to do a cover letter and I was just wondering what should go into it? How do I sell myself? What should the letter really contain? How do I separate myself from all of the other applicants?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Well I'm haven't applied for any PhDs yet myself but I might be in the coming months so I'll just tell you what I was told in the final year of my undergraduate degree.

Basically there's the obvious things of presentation, clarity etc etc. but I'm sure you're well aware of that. The big thing is to be specific. What I mean by that is show them in the cover letter why you want to that specific project and why you want to do it in QUB. Many advertised PhDs will have a list of 3/4 papers they suggest you take a look at so definately do that. Even if they don't, try to have a look at similar journal articles that deal with research question so you can get an idea of methodologies etc. What they want to get out of the cover letter is a sense that you've done a little research ie. not applying on a whim, and why you'd be a suitable applicant.

I did microbiology so I say I was applying for a PhD that was investigating the role of HSP-70 in E.coli (it would likely be more specific than that but that's another matter!) than I'd say something along the lines of:

"I am interested in the central role played by the HSP family in bacterial virulence etc etc. Studies by A's team and B's team have shown yada yada yada and I hope to build on this by . . . "

What you wouldn't say is:

"I am interested in microbial gentetics and hope to work in it in the future."

You might add that in but the whole point is that you want to be specific. On the other hand don't turn it into a detailed lit review!! The point is that you essentially want to give them an idea of why you should be offered the position.

Now that's you what I'd do if I were applying but like I said I haven't even thought about it yet. There are other posters who may agree or disagree with that approach so we'll see what they say ;)

Advertisement