Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Being built in Tramore

Options
  • 08-02-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Aldi has been granted planning permission for a discount food store in Tramore Co Waterford.

The 1555 square meter store will be located at Crobally Upper, Tramore.

Waterford County Council have granted the German retailer conditional permission for the development consisting of the demolition of an existing dwelling and the construction of a single-storey split-roof discount foodstore plus the provision of 107 car parking spaces.

Aldi has been looking to locate in Tramore for a number of years

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving to the Waterford County forum.

Topic Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Handy for all the people living in that area to have a supermarket (including a good selection of bargain priced booze :pac:) within walking distance.

A few jobs building it and a few jobs running it when open, very good news for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Good to hear , keeps jobs and money in the town making the town more self suffcient to boot. I prefer ALDI to LIDL too as they seem to have a fair mix of Irish alongside with the continentals.
    I hope it starts straight with no more delays

Just had a quick browse through the planning application online

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=09482&LASiteID=0

Funny to read Blaise Hannigan and Peter Burns outlining the a carbon copy of each others submissions , Blaise blantantly stating its a bad location because it will take customers from Riverside stores, any wonder this country is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just looking through the objections there, the same names are appearing on every planning application. Some of the people are living in Waterford City. What's their game? They all seem to be in cahoots imo, I'd say they all correspond when making objections. In this case, they all have the common objection about the trees.

Peter Burns shouldn't be too worried about Aldi. They sell different brand products, and Aldi sell stuff he doesn't even sell anyway. He may lose a few customers but I don't think he'll be put out of business. Most of Peter's customers are people living in the nearby estates who walk to his shop to get a few bits and pieces. People, being the lazy sods they are, will hardly walk the extra distance up to Aldi to but their pack of fags or carton of milk for the same price. He should also have a fairly solid and loyal customer base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Great to have Aldi coming to town - think they generally have a better range than Lidl and sometimes their specials are very good!

Won't have to drive to Ferrybank any more! (Usually has stock when The Glen is sold out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 garrser

I'm all for Aldi coming to the town. I'm not sure though about the location they have chosen. As far as I can see it's on the main Waterford road behind the GAA centre, right between the Esso station and the Riverstown roundabout. That's a section of road that can get very busy even at the best of times..

I'd say thats an ideal spot for a supermarket with half the working population of Tramore driving past its entrance twice a day , that side of town could do with a outlet too.
    Maybe its just the time of day I'm up near LIDL but it does seem their carpark is always empty compared to Tescos, so don't think that side would be a good location for another German discounter

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Just not convinced that they should set up shop right on what is a fairly busy junction.

are not the vast amounts of supermarkets built off busy roads and junctions

• Advertisement

Yes, there have certainly been one or two (OK, a few more than that). Doesn't mean, however, that they all have to be.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Bit of a resurrection here, but I see in the news today: http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0418/381972-aldi-new-stores/ I wonder is there one bound for Tramore in this? Also heard that there was a bit of activity with heavy(ish) machinery in the mentioned site over the last few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

Yet another 'fantastic' story for tramore! another supermarket is exactly what the town needs.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

blankAs wrote: »
    Yet another 'fantastic' story for tramore! another supermarket is exactly what the town needs.......

Your negativity knows no bounds.

It sure doesn't! in all fairness tramore has 10000 people (and yes theres more people surrounding it) but 3 supermarkets are a bit much. dont see how this will be beneficial for the town or even for its so valued tourists

It sure doesn't! in all fairness tramore has 10000 people (and yes theres more people surrounding it) but 3 supermarkets are a bit much. dont see how this will be beneficial for the town or even for its so valued tourists

I'm sure the companies have done their research and believe that they can open in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Sully wrote: »
    I'm sure the companies have done their research and believe that they can open in Tramore.

Hhhmm, whats the difference between the Flowrider and Aldi being set up in Tramore? A lot of people saying that the Flowrider doesn't have a chance in hell of surviving, yet a supermarket comes along to an already full market and people simply say "I am sure they have done their research". Bit mind boggling to be honest!

tbayers wrote: »
    Hhhmm, whats the difference between the Flowrider and Aldi being set up in Tramore? A lot of people saying that the Flowrider doesn't have a chance in hell of surviving, yet a supermarket comes along to an already full market and people simply say "I am sure they have done their research". Bit mind boggling to be honest!

They are two completely different businesses.

But a business is a business! Flowrider have proven to be successful all over the world, as have Aldi. They both provide a service in exchange for customers, both fundamentally the same!

And im not trolling or anything, im just pointing something out. I am biased towards Flowrider and Skatepark, but still :) Sorry for going off topic!

tbayers wrote: »
    But a business is a business! Flowrider have proven to be successful all over the world, as have Aldi. They both provide a service in exchange for customers, both fundamentally the same!

And im not trolling or anything, im just pointing something out. I am biased towards Flowrider and Skatepark, but still :) Sorry for going off topic!

That logic doesn't work. Not every type of business would work in Tramore or anywhere.

The flowrider may just work alright, and sounds like a great idea. The units beside it are a cause for for concern seeing as so many units are empty in Tramore. I thought most objections were about the way it was being built anyway?

(Im not against this project, just to make that clear)

Anyway, both Tesco and Super Valu seem to be doing very well. Lidl likewise. Aldi may very well open up more discount shopping and serve a large town like Tramore and surrounding areas very well. They have tried several times to locate here and there coming to Dungarvan. Aldi is open all over Ireland and has succeeded in part due to being cheap and cheerful!

• Advertisement

Point taken and I agree with you on the other units, a Quicksilver store in Tramore, hhhmmmmmm.

Aldi would be great, as you said, more choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Competition is good for the consumer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Like 'em or not, Aldi are one of the most successful supermarket chains in Europe. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons why that is so is 'cos they know where to open a shop and where not. There's probably a little more research and analysis involved than 'I feel another store will do fine here'.
    Can't see how more competition and a few more jobs can be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

just like the fantastic story about the roundabout you broke for us...its sure is looking good down there now, seems like the council now have the last laugh.

Realy?! the mess of concrete, imported stones, signs is looking fantastic? what about the lack of parking down in that area, does anyone thing anything through in this town! although it has massive entertainment value's i sure am looking forward to the summer to set up a deck chair and watch the chaos ensue.....

Realy?! the mess of concrete, imported stones, signs is looking fantastic? what about the lack of parking down in that area, does anyone thing anything through in this town! although it has massive entertainment value's i sure am looking forward to the summer to set up a deck chair and watch the chaos ensue.....

I for one was skeptical about the thing from first hearing about it. But after seeing more than a few pictures, it doesn't look that bad. It will help with a safer pedestrian crossing. But, as regards traffic, only time will tell. I personally think it will still get backup up on busy days. But we have to get nice weather for that to happen first. And going from the last two years, that aint too likely! And, if this other road around the industrial park links up as it is supposed to, who knows.

Hey look on the bright side, it will give another route for people to get into the fantastic new Flowrider centre, if it happens:D

I think the new roundabout looks pretty well on completion, though I see concerns that some businesses have in the area that appear not to be addressed.

Anyway, can we not just keep the Aldi discussion to this thread and keep other discussions to their own threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

lads aldi as far as i know aint goin ahead yet, they were just securing the site is all and demolishing the old house that stood there

lads aldi as far as i know aint goin ahead yet, they were just securing the site is all and demolishing the old house that stood there

Did they get permission to build? Didn't think they did yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Sully wrote: »
    Did they get permission to build? Didn't think they did yet?
    thats what i'm saying, the work being carried out was just to secure the site and demolish the house nothing else

Advertisement