Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about taking a year out after Leaving Cert... Help/Advice?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi :)

Em, well just really thinking about going abroad to work for a year after the Leaving Cert. I know that it's probably a bad idea but I can't help thinking about it now for some reason.

I would return to college the next year, I'd just defer my place for a year hopefully. If I was to take this year out, I'd be going to New York to work for the year.

Anyone got any helpful advice or know the story regarding student work visa's for a year? Or know anyone who has done this? Or just comments in general?! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

yourmother wrote: »
    Hi :)

Em, well just really thinking about going abroad to work for a year after the Leaving Cert. I know that it's probably a bad idea but I can't help thinking about it now for some reason.

I would return to college the next year, I'd just defer my place for a year hopefully. If I was to take this year out, I'd be going to New York to work for the year.

Anyone got any helpful advice or know the story regarding student work visa's for a year? Or know anyone who has done this? Or just comments in general?! Thanks

Im not sure but i think to get a US student visa you have to have just finished a degree or in the process of doing a degree to get a 1 year visa

Check out this forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1183

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Wow. Well taking a year out after the Leaving is actually a very good idea.. IMO. Over in the UK its even provided for via the GAP Year process whereby students can volunteer to go off and work in third world countries etc.

In terms of going to work in the US for a year, you'd want to really talk to someone in the know about how that would work. In college you can get a J1 visa and then a J2 that allows you to work there for 4 months but Ive never heard of someone going there right off the LC for a full year. I imagine such a visa would be hard to get unless you are a US citizen or have someone who could sponsor you.

I've heard of many people who chose to spend a year in France, Spain, South America, Italy, Germany etc... but these people were people intending to take those languages at university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

hi im also on a year out at the moment because i didnt like the college course i started in september just a bit of advice do not take a year out unless you have a job or something lined up because i am soooo bored at the moment its unreal its torture ive tried hard to find a job but thers nothing around but im still in ireland it could be different abroad, just a bit of advice hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Thanks all! Ya I'm either going to organise something or not take it out otherwise I'd just end up dossing!

I know Canada have visa's for just people who want to go over and work in jobs that aren't qualified, but I think the US will be harder :( unfortunately...

Would love to go though or get something organised. Australia has a pretty good 1 year working visa, but I want to go to New York!

Anyways thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

you won't get a work sponsorship visa in the USA without a degree. I wouldn't recommend going over and staying beyond your 3 month tourist visa either. It's all computerised now, maybe back in the good old days you'd slip in and out but not anymore. Plus I doubt you're 21 yet either.

College is grand anyway. Plus you can get yourself a J1 student visa in the USA for the summer months as you'll be a legitimate student.

anyways, I just think you've a pain in your hole because it's mid Feb, weather is crap and people are probably banging on about June the whole time.

I went straight from LC to college, glad I did now, no way I'd have left it a year and been able to drag myself back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

EL_Loco wrote: »

anyways, I just think you've a pain in your hole because it's mid Feb, weather is crap and people are probably banging on about June the whole time.

Haha priceless and true, thanks :)

Advertisement