Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deasy

• 08-02-2010 7:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

Any one think he might take Enda on in a contest for the leadership of Fine Gael in the not too distant future. IF he does, I might think about giving him a vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Given that many in Waterford City havent heard from him since the election, I doubt that his profile would be strong enough to lead the party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Dont think many from the county has seen or heard much of him either. Maybe the Blue Shirts have.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Not a chance in hell, he made a fool of himself 6 years ago by having a ciggie in the dail bar when the smoking ban came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

It's nothing to do with his cigarette - he's just not a party leader and wouldn't make a seriosu contender.

As fine as this website is, all of the indignation on boards.ie isn't going to change anything in the FG party or in the polls, people are just a bit news hungry this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Any one think he might take Enda on in a contest for the leadership of Fine Gael in the not too distant future. IF he does, I might think about giving him a vote.

You really are taking the pi** now. :rolleyes:
    deasy is a and always was a plonker, typical of your local eejit inheriting daddies seat.
    He would split the party more ways than cj ever did with ff.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    You really are taking the pi** now. :rolleyes:
    deasy is a and always was a plonker, typical of your local eejit inheriting daddies seat.
    He would split the party more ways than cj ever did with ff.

Enda is doing a good job of it right now.

Enda is doing a good job of it right now.

What are you on about ?
    Maybe lots of them thought Lee was a gob****e who never bothered talking to them, have you ever thought of that, maybe a few of them are gld tro see the back of mr precious.
    I would bet the reason for any grumblings in FG is not this nor the recent opinion polls, it is money pure and simple, it is about taking paycuts and axing the Seanad as suggested by Kenny.

It's a bit like how some ffers are grumbling in private about clowen for endangering their seats with his handling of the crisis that Lehman's created :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

What are you on about ?
    Maybe lots of them thought Lee was a gob****e who never bothered talking to them, have you ever thought of that, maybe a few of them are gld tro see the back of mr precious.
    I would bet the reason for any grumblings in FG is not this nor the recent opinion polls, it is money pure and simple, it is about taking paycuts and axing the Seanad as suggested by Kenny.

It's a bit like how some ffers are grumbling in private about clowen for endangering their seats with his handling of the crisis that Lehman's created :rolleyes:

Enda Kenny = Dead Man Walking;)

What are you on about ?

What am I on about? I am saying that Enda Kenny if he ever gets to be Taoiseach will go down as the worst one in the history of the state, and if Fine Gael really want to be in power next time round, they have to kick his ass from been leader as soon as possible and send him back as far into the benches as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

What am I on about? I am saying that Enda Kenny if he ever gets to be Taoiseach will go down as the worst one in the history of the state, and if Fine Gael really want to be in power next time round, they have to kick his ass from been leader as soon as possible and send him back as far into the benches as is possible.

Based on what exactly?

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    Based on what exactly?

That he does not have a clue what he is talking about. Ok you could argue that some of those in the other parties are in much the same boat, but at least they give the impression now and again that they do know what they are doing.

That he does not have a clue what he is talking about. Ok you could argue that some of those in the other parties are in much the same boat, but at least they give the impression now and again that they do know what they are doing.

Da testicles are up every tree in north dublin. The country can stoop no lower than the moron who was there not so long ago.

No, but specifically based on what? Can you back up how Enda Kenny will be the worst Taoiseach in the history of the state or what puts you in a position to say so based, it seems, on imagination?

No, but specifically based on what? Can you back up how Enda Kenny will be the worst Taoiseach in the history of the state or what puts you in a position to say so based, it seems, on imagination?

To me it seems that the writing off of Kenny is based on some X-Factoresque type of perception. Who knows Jedward for taoiseach.

Maybe we could have something called Taoiseach Factor, judged by Shane Ross, David Norris and the ubiquitous George Lee.

Prospective leaders would have to prove themselves to be entertaining and charismatic by doing a series of tasks such as kissing a baby, telling a ditty, and giving the best old-fashioned grin when hit in the face by a pie. Showmanship seems to be what people want.

Of course, the show would probably come to an early ending after George Lee storming out, spontaneously catching fire, and insisting that none of the judges were listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

John Deasy lost my vote and any chance he had of ever being taken seriously as party leader when he light up in the Dail bar post anti smoking legislation.

Mr Deasy did not read public opinion with any degree of accuracy and worse then that he put the barperson in an unenviable position.

He demonstrated a disregard for a law that the majority of people have happily abided by, I this admit that is not a particularly unusually characteristic in a politician. Unfortunately for him he just hasn't been able to live it down and worse still, jibes that he as publicly adapt as his father have continued to cause him problems

John Deasy lost my vote and any chance he had of ever being taken seriously as party leader when he light up in the Dail bar post anti smoking legislation.

Mr Deasy did not read public opinion with any degree of accuracy and worse then that he put the barperson in an unenviable position.

He demonstrated a disregard for a law that the majority of people have happily abided by, I this admit that is not a particularly unusually characteristic in a politician. Unfortunately for him he just hasn't been able to live it down and worse still, jibes that he as publicly adapt as his father have continued to cause him problems

In all fairness, he was not the first td to break the law and wont be the last either.

Jeeze he will have to be really bad to equal your illustrious leader and ex leader who managed between them to leave
    • the taxpayers facing a 20 odd billion current deficit
    • a banking system where all the major banks are insolvent
    • a banking mess that is going to cost the taxpayers anything up to 70 billion to clean up
    • a financial regulatory authority that is the laughing stock of the world
    • a state training agency that was found to be corrupt and it's training certifcation sometimes rigged
    • a health system that even though it has allowed people needlessly die becuase of misdiagnosis nobody was ever sanctioned
    • a health system that allowed old people die slow tortorous deaths in unmonitored private tax haven nursing homes
    • a criminal justice system where blapshemy laws are more important than fighting gang warfare
    • an education system where kids are still being taught in prefabs shared with rats even though we had biggest building boom in the history of the state
    • a fortune spent on ego projects like bertie's bowl
    • a fortune spent on an e-voting system that couldn't be adequately proven to work
    Feck sake kenny better start practicing, maybe bertie and biffo can give some advice on how best to blow other people money :rolleyes:

That's a bit rich coming from someone a fan of the party that has such luminaries as coughlan as deputy head, dempsey and cullen as long time ministers.
    And I am not even going to mention such notables of the past as Joe Jacob.

In all fairness, he was not the first td to break the law and wont be the last either.

Joe McDaid, Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor, Willie O'Dea anyone.
    Oh wait Willie just admitted he lied to the court, he hasn't actually been found guilty of it.

Jeeze he will have to be really bad to equal your illustrious leader and ex leader who managed between them to leave
    • the taxpayers facing a 20 odd billion current deficit
    • a banking system where all the major banks are insolvent
    • a banking mess that is going to cost the taxpayers anything up to 70 billion to clean up
    • a financial regulatory authority that is the laughing stock of the world
    • a state training agency that was found to be corrupt and it's training certifcation sometimes rigged
    • a health system that even though it has allowed people needlessly die becuase of misdiagnosis nobody was ever sanctioned
    • a health system that allowed old people die slow tortorous deaths in unmonitored private tax haven nursing homes
    • a criminal justice system where blapshemy laws are more important than fighting gang warfare
    • an education system where kids are still being taught in prefabs shared with rats even though we had biggest building boom in the history of the state
    • a fortune spent on ego projects like bertie's bowl
    • a fortune spent on an e-voting system that couldn't be adequately proven to work
    Feck sake kenny better start practicing, maybe bertie and biffo can give some advice on how best to blow other people money :rolleyes:

That's a bit rich coming from someone a fan of the party that has such luminaries as coughlan as deputy head, dempsey and cullen as long time ministers.
    And I am not even going to mention such notables of the past as Joe Jacob.

Its totally unfair to blame all that your are on the present government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Enda Kenny / Pat Kenny - both wooden personalities with a common surname.

If FG want to take advantage of the FF malaise in a new general election then they need to change their leader. Note I said "take advantage" not just wing it in on the bad disposition of their apponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are you trying to say we should blame the opposition? Or was it all the PD's fault? :rolleyes:

"a bigger boy made me to it" tbh...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Are you trying to say we should blame the opposition? Or was it all the PD's fault? :rolleyes:

"a bigger boy made me to it" tbh...

No I am not saying the oposition is to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I would sooner resurrect Charlie Haughey and put him in as leader than Deasy. Deasy is all about hype and hysteria.

Why please?

johngalway wrote: »
    I would sooner resurrect Charlie Haughey and put him in as leader than Deasy. Deasy is all about hype and hysteria.

In all fairness, Charlie was not the worse. Ok things came out about him late in his life, but in various ministeries he held he did alot for the poor man. I dont think we would be as well off as we are today (I know lots of people are experiencing hardship) but for Charlie. Maybe it could be argued that what was done was to help those that he worked with as well, but his measures also helped the small man. I dont think he took from the poor and only took what he was given by some wealthy fools.

Why please?

The governement did not tell people to borrow past their means. Neither did the opposition.

The governement did not tell people to borrow past their means. Neither did the opposition.

Not sure I agree with that to be honest :)

Not sure I agree with that to be honest :)

Who did they tell so. Did they have civil servants or even tds standing outside the banks telling people to go in and to take the money that was on offer. If they did i missed them that day.

• Advertisement

Who did they tell so. Did they have civil servants or even tds standing outside the banks telling people to go in and to take the money that was on offer. If they did i missed them that day.

In my opinion they were asleep at the helm while things were going well. There were fantastical amounts of money being thrown around willy nilly, we've seen the regulator wasn't exactly on the ball with the banks. There needs to be a system of checks and balances for things to work properly. If the regulator isn't doing their job properly it's up to the Government to kick him in the ass. They were constantly telling people that we've never had it as good, and anyone saying that it would come to a messy end was vilified and attacked as being unpatriotic.

In my opinion, the Govt had the ability to control and oversee all the items on the list posted above. But, the lights were on and no one was at home.

Since you mentioned civil servants, ahem, pay rise upon pay rise for the public sector fuelled the price of homes etc. It couldn't go on, but they weren't admitting to that, they were high in the polls and life was good, Fcuk tomorrow.

:)

Advertisement