Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deasy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

johngalway wrote: »
    In my opinion they were asleep at the helm while things were going well. There were fantastical amounts of money being thrown around willy nilly, we've seen the regulator wasn't exactly on the ball with the banks. There needs to be a system of checks and balances for things to work properly. If the regulator isn't doing their job properly it's up to the Government to kick him in the ass. They were constantly telling people that we've never had it as good, and anyone saying that it would come to a messy end was vilified and attacked as being unpatriotic.

In my opinion, the Govt had the ability to control and oversee all the items on the list posted above. But, the lights were on and no one was at home.

Since you mentioned civil servants, ahem, pay rise upon pay rise for the public sector fuelled the price of homes etc. It couldn't go on, but they weren't admitting to that, they were high in the polls and life was good, Fcuk tomorrow.

:)

With a while now i have little if any time for most civil servants. They have ripped this country off with a long time together with the union officials and it is time that most of them were given the boot and to see how the other half live. Civil Servants wont admit this, but there is some (Not all) who would be suppose to be in work for 9am and are not turning up till after 10 and then before any work is done there is an hour spent drinking tea etc. There is also Civil Servants who clock in for work in the morning and within a short while are gone from their office galavanting for a few hours and are back to clock out at the end of the day, and are getting a full days pay for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Deise Tom wrote: »
    With a while now i have little if any time for most civil servants. They have ripped this country off with a long time together with the union officials and it is time that most of them were given the boot and to see how the other half live. Civil Servants wont admit this, but there is some (Not all) who would be suppose to be in work for 9am and are not turning up till after 10 and then before any work is done there is an hour spent drinking tea etc. There is also Civil Servants who clock in for work in the morning and within a short while are gone from their office galavanting for a few hours and are back to clock out at the end of the day, and are getting a full days pay for this.

And to really cheer you up I will remind you how bertie and biffo (two of your heros no doubt) gave these people who you have no time for payrises through benchmarking, yet they never demanded productivity gains.

And guess what FG warned about it :D
    Here is extract from Richard Bruton speech in Nov 2003 about 2004 estimates.

Benchmarking was the high water mark for this government’s inability to take responsibility and pioneer a reform agenda. A commitment was made which will ultimately cost every household in the country €1,000. No corresponding reforms were hammered out to ensure value for money was obtained.

The consequence is now obvious. A €515 million extra payment on Benchmarking brings the annual bill for benchmarking in 2004 to €775million. On top of this the Government has committed to a further €800 million in extra payments to meet the general pay round and pay drift.

Now who helped these awful civil servants that you have "no time for" rip off the country again ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    And to really cheer you up I will remind you how bertie and biffo (two of your heros no doubt) gave these people who you have no time for payrises through benchmarking, yet they never demanded productivity gains.

And guess what FG warned about it :D
    Here is extract from Richard Bruton speech in Nov 2003 about 2004 estimates.

Now who helped these awful civil servants that you have "no time for" rip off the country again ?

We all make mistakes. I am sure that Bertie and Brian will now admit that bench marking was wrong. They will have to take the blame for that and so will their advisers. Guess they were only looking after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

We all make mistakes. I am sure that Bertie and Brian will now admit that bench marking was wrong. They will have to take the blame for that and so will their advisers. Guess they were only looking after themselves.

Wasn't Bertie interviewed not so long ago, something to do with the book tour I think, and he was asked something similar. I can't remember details now, but I could count on no hands what he took blame for.

Except when they made and continue to make mistakes they make mistakes of such royal proportion that they affect us all today, tomrrow and will even affect our kids futures in this country.

Ehh also like to pull you up on the part about them admitting their mistakes or taken the blame for them.
    They haven't really and most of their supporters haven't either.

Oh nice one how you casually drop in their it is the fault of their advisors.
    Of course any of the good decisions were down to themselves and nothing to ever do with the advisors :rolleyes:

You know the real sad thing is that the sh**e ffers spout is actually believed by a big chunk of people out there. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

It was the finiancial regulators job to oversea and implement regulation of the banks. The power to do so was handed down by the government.

It was the governments job to hold the regulator to account and make sure that standards were being adhered to. The government are charged with this task on behalf of the people of this country and totally accept this task when they agree to form a government.
    The government was negligent in their duty. People can moan about banks, builders, investors, etc. but the buck stops with the government who have ultimate power, who have ultimate responsibility and who ultimately have managed to wrangle their way out of the accountability that they owed to the people

It was the finiancial regulators job to oversea and implement regulation of the banks. The power to do so was handed down by the government.

It was the governments job to hold the regulator to account and make sure that standards were being adhered to. The government are charged with this task on behalf of the people of this country and totally accept this task when they agree to form a government.
    The government was negligent in their duty. People can moan about banks, builders, investors, etc. but the buck stops with the government who have ultimate power, who have ultimate responsibility and who ultimately have managed to wrangle their way out of the accountability that they owed to the people

ff nor their governments don't do responsibility.

They just take the plaudits, oh and the expenses :rolleyes:

ff nor their governments don't do responsibility.

They just take the plaudits, oh and the expenses :rolleyes:

Do Fine Gael take expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Why do people always change the focus so that the actual point is missed. I don't know - we deserve what we get.

The party in power has been negligent, I am not saying parties because the Greens arrived after the downfall.

The parties in opposition do not have the power (they are not the party in power) HOWEVER they did not get their message across to the public with any degree of conviction.
    FF are on the way out not because we have a good opposition but because of the economic crisis they created.

We dont have a crediable alternative to FF BUT because the are not crediable either we may as well vote for change because FF have been in power too long and even though FG or Labour may not be any better, we don't know that for sure.

Ah he's back.

Funny how this is your only response to all my posts.

And yes FG, Lab, SF all do bloody expenses, as you know well.
    And most probably get too much in expenses.

Big difference is they aren't the ones in government telling us that they are going to make cutbacks all the while they are jetting off for paddy's day or the chairman of the Dáil is running up the expenses of a government minister even though he is no longer a minsiter.
    Better still he is supposed in a non political office but has a political advisor :rolleyes:

cj's mindset is alive and well.
    Everyone must tighten their belts, except the everyone should read "everyone but us".

• Advertisement

Ah he's back.

Funny how this is your only response to all my posts.

And yes FG, Lab, SF all do bloody expenses, as you know well.
    And most probably get too much in expenses.

Big difference is they aren't the ones in government telling us that they are going to make cutbacks all the while they are jetting off for paddy's day or the chairman of the Dáil is running up the expenses of a government minister even though he is no longer a minsiter.
    Better still he is supposed in a non political office but has a political advisor :rolleyes:

cj's mindset is alive and well.
    Everyone must tighten their belts, except the everyone should read "everyone but us".

You dont have to be jetting around the place to claim expenses. What about the Waterford County Councillor who claimed something like €185,000 in expenses over five years. Story was in Dungarvan Observer not so long ago for all to read.

You dont have to be jetting around the place to claim expenses. What about the Waterford County Councillor who claimed something like €185,000 in expenses over five years. Story was in Dungarvan Observer not so long ago for all to read.

I too know of Co Councillors, of all shades, who are on too high expenses and are always trotting off to some seminar or other, all on expenses.

Little healy rae jnr attended Humber Summer School in Killala, or rather he supposedly signed in and disappeared which still meant he got an allowance from Kerry Co Council for his trip to Mayo.
    I guess it was one of the few times Mayo were involved in screwing Kerry out of something albeit thanks to one Kerryman. :rolleyes:

But does that make it right ? NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

What am I on about? I am saying that Enda Kenny if he ever gets to be Taoiseach will go down as the worst one in the history of the state, and if Fine Gael really want to be in power next time round, they have to kick his ass from been leader as soon as possible and send him back as far into the benches as is possible.

stop making a fool of yourself Tom!!! you and your fellow-fianna failures have DESTROYED this country!!! Brian Cowen is the most inept Taoiseach we have EVER had!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

John 'Smoking ban' Deasy, nah I don't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I dont think he took from the poor and only took what he was given by some wealthy fools.

You're perfectly right......that whole Ahern + Haughey and Brian Lenihan's liver transplant fund must have been a figment of our imagination.

Oh - hang on a second....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/moriarty-tribunal-haughey-stole-45m-65364.html

:rolleyes:

Worst Taoisigh of all time = Haughey and Ahern, and Cowen is about to make it a hat-trick.

Enda Kenny wouldn't get a look in.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You're perfectly right......that whole Ahern + Haughey and Brian Lenihan's liver transplant fund must have been a figment of our imagination.

Oh - hang on a second....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/moriarty-tribunal-haughey-stole-45m-65364.html

:rolleyes:

Worst Taoisigh of all time = Haughey and Ahern, and Cowen is about to make it a hat-trick.

Enda Kenny wouldn't get a look in.

Funny the Indo would say that. I bet it would not say anything like that if it was a Fine Gael man in the same boat. The Irish Press would not have run with that story if it was still around.

All the papers will be reporting on a FG man becoming Taiseach. I dont think anyone will denoy that. I just hope that it is not Enda and i certainly hope that the two muppets from the gang that will most likely for a colition will not be beside who ever FG will have a leader.

Funny the Indo would say that.

Funny the Indo would say what ?

I linked to an article that - as far as I can see - tells the facts of the story.

It actually goes so far as to gloss over Ahern's involvement in the cheques.

So I'm not sure you even read the article, given that comment.

Any opinion about the 3 worst Taoisigh is my own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Always thought the Indo was a FF paper anyway?

Funny the Indo would say that. I bet it would not say anything like that if it was a Fine Gael man in the same boat. The Irish Press would not have run with that story if it was still around.

All the papers will be reporting on a FG man becoming Taiseach. I dont think anyone will denoy that. I just hope that it is not Enda and i certainly hope that the two muppets from the gang that will most likely for a colition will not be beside who ever FG will have a leader.

fellas like you Tom are all wind and piss! you havent given one reason why Enda Kenny shouldnt be Taoiseach!! having written him off and criticised him from on high, it must be sickening for ye!!!!!! FF are a dirty shower of corrupt ****ers who should be hung!!! END OF STORY!

fellas like you Tom are all wind and piss! you havent given one reason why Enda Kenny shouldnt be Taoiseach!! having written him off and criticised him from on high, it must be sickening for ye!!!!!! FF are a dirty shower of corrupt ****ers who should be hung!!! END OF STORY!

Each to there own I suppose. You are intitled to your views and i am entitled to mine. I just have no time for Enda Kenny and i think Eamon Guilmore and the one that pulls his strings is worse.

What makes you think i have something against Fine Gael. Where have i said that i would never vote for them. In fact if they had a right canditate i might vote for them. Just dont like Enda Kenny and a few others, Same way i dont like some of the Fianna Fail TDs. In fact if you knew me i often refer to one minister as the minster for something which i doubt i would be allowed to say here.

• Advertisement

Tom, you are a FF voter. born and bred! you are fooling no one!

Tom, you are a FF voter. born and bred! you are fooling no one!

Might be a member of a Cumann but have not always given 1-2-3 etc to FF.

at least we know where youre coming from when you criticise kenny, fg, labour, gilmore, civil servants, trade unions and the media!!!!!

in your eyes its always good to have a go and blame someone else!!

now can please give me solid reasons why enda kenny shouldnt be taoiseach??????

I might have the place closed down if i did. lets just say I would prefer to see Ian Paisley come down and become taoiseach than to see Enda Kenny be Taoiseach.

at least we know where youre coming from when you criticise kenny, fg, labour, gilmore, civil servants, trade unions and the media!!!!!

in your eyes its always good to have a go and blame someone else!!

Must be some kind of a stalker are you.

lets just say I would prefer to see Ian Paisley come down and become taoiseach than to see Enda Kenny be Taoiseach.

Let's not. Let's consider answering the question.

You are a member of the party that had Ahern as Taoiseach, after all; that means your standards for that position are pretty low.

Let's not. Let's consider answering the question.

You are a member of the party that had Ahern as Taoiseach, after all; that means your standards for that position are pretty low.

I never voted for Bertie to be Taoiseach.

I never voted for Bertie to be Taoiseach.

So you'd have "preferred to see Ian Paisley" as Taoiseach instead of Ahern, too ?

Or maybe "preferred to see Ian Paisley" instead of Haughey ?

So you'd have "preferred to see Ian Paisley" as Taoiseach instead of Ahern, too ?

Or maybe "preferred to see Ian Paisley" instead of Haughey ?

Point out to me where i said that.

• Advertisement

Point out to me where i said that.

It was a question.

You claimed "you never voted for Ahern as Taoiseach".

I'm just checking where your objection to Kenny lies.

Since you refused to answer a poster's invitation to outline why; I have no choice but to engage in some detective work : if you would prefer Paisley over Kenny, but not over Ahern and Haughey, then it's obviously not a corruption / two-facedness objection.

I'm actually getting fed up of this forum, tbh.

If you object to NAMA, or FF, or Ahern giving reasons, you're told that you're "jumping on a bandwagon" or "come up with alternatives before you criticise".

And yet somehow, if you diss Enda, you apparently don't need a reason.

Yet another example of FF double-standards, methinks.

Advertisement