Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to avoid procrastination for the real LC

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, this is a stupid thread, because the answer is obvious, but I'm finding it hard to get myself into gear.

For nearly everything I have always left something to the last minute. For the JC, I didn't study until about a week before, then I panicked about not having enough time and studied loads (although I did really well - but that's only the JC!).

For these mocks (that I'm in the middle of doing), I left studying way too late!

I'm planning to take next week easy (mid term, mocks will be over - should I be studying in this week?). But after that, I want to develop some sort of system, so I'm well prepared for the real LC (I'm looking for 540+ points!).

However, when it's ages away from the exam, e.g. 2 months, I think studying won't be effective as I will just forget all that I have learned when the real things comes around.

Any advice? Other people seem to be able to study much further away from the exams than I start studying!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I'm actually in the exact same position as you
    I just haven't been motivated to study at all for these mocks...

I'm thinking the way I'll try to get myself to study is by thinking "I don't wanna be disappointed the day I get my results". Not the best motivation, but it's all I can think of to help me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I am da master of procrastination!
    I have history and geog mocks tomorrow, and what do i do i go on this facebook, walk da dog, I EVEN made pancakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 knwaca

In the same boat as you OP. I left studying English and Maths to night before my jc and got an A's, its meant I've taken the last two years as a doss, I never fail tests so I just take doing well in tests for granted. I want 550, if I can in lc, but i just can't motivate myself to study.

The wall above my desk is a shrine to motivational qotes, speeches etc, which I try to read everyday, but they still have no effect. Maths paper 2 tomorrow and I'm on the computer while watching scrubs, i will 'study' in the morning. I find the most depressing thing is when all our nearest and dearest talk about much study they're getting done..

As for a system of study, over the mid term I'm planning on getting all my French oral done and taking it from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Well you probably will forget what you learn now but when you go over it again it will be easier, and the more thimes you go over it the easier it gets. Well thats what I'm told anyway :)
    Another reason a friend of mine uses is,as he says:
    "The only reason I want to study is so that I don't have to come back to this fu**** shi*****, godforesaken cu** of a place" :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Procrastination is my middle name, I swear, I used be doing Irish poetry or something in the kitchen, and need a dictionary, go down to my room, 60 mins later I'm still in my room. I'm still leaving things to the last minute, even today, I had an assignment to do for 4pm, 3.30 and I'm running to the printer!

I'm telling you from experience, it doesn't matter how long ago you looked at it, if you have learned it well it will come back very quickly when you look over it the night before. Even stuff you have scanned over randomly ages you; when you are under pressure in an exam, it can come back!!

The system I used to get through revising for my LC was to do out a list of every topic on the course or chapter, eg for business it would be the units, maths I'd base it on topics, such as differentiation, integration, probability. A sheet for each subject, with three boxes for each subject, one to tick off when you have revised it/done it in class, one to tick off when you have revised it yourself, and one to say that you have done exam questions on the topic.

Make out a rough timetable of your subjects, maybe two per night - say Irish and Business on a Monday. After you get your homework done, pick a topic or two to look over and do an exam q or two on them. Could take you 15 mins or 60 mins depending on what you do (I found a shorter time avoid procrastination!) - when you have it done, tick it off. Try and have the subjects that you do in school that day as subjects you revise that night.

Teachers will be giving ye loads of exam paper questions to do after the mocks, but take the time to do them well, try doing them without the book first and then do them out with the book/notes. Spend that bit of extra time on it learning off the stuff that you didn't get without the notes, and tick it off as you having it revised. If you have time, find a similar exam question and try it. If you have the stuff well learned off, your cramming session the night before the exam becomes a refresher section. Be honest with it, if you haven't done the work don't tick it off!

At the start the list will look very very blank, but it quickly comes together. A lot of the first column will be filled in already! It can be a source of motivation to try and fill those blanks, especially if you see them everyday! I'd put them up in your room or where ever you study. If you are panicking before the exams, you can look at these sheets and see all the topics that you have done and done well, and know that you are prepared, despite what you are feeling

Your exam papers are your bible for the next few months, you need to base all your work from them. Spend a bit of time looking at the marking schemes on examinations.ie, very important to understand where marks are going, such as in business.

Hope this helps some bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

room with no music no tv ... no distractions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

This laptop is the cause of all my problems, I find myself making agreements with myself ie. write one question then quickly check email/facebook, which quickly turns into an 1hr and a half looking at random things just to keep your mind occupied and the english homework/study at bay. :rolleyes: Another one I do is 'tonight im not going to turn the laptop on until ALL homework is done' then I remember I have to check a marking scheme or look at something on e-xamit, so laptop goes on, I then remember my crops need harvesting on farmville!! :rolleyes:
    My motivation is the 550+ points I need for veterinary!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danazzy

Procrastination is my middle name, I swear, I used be doing Irish poetry or something in the kitchen, and need a dictionary, go down to my room, 60 mins later I'm still in my room. I'm still leaving things to the last minute, even today, I had an assignment to do for 4pm, 3.30 and I'm running to the printer!

I'm telling you from experience, it doesn't matter how long ago you looked at it, if you have learned it well it will come back very quickly when you look over it the night before. Even stuff you have scanned over randomly ages you; when you are under pressure in an exam, it can come back!!

The system I used to get through revising for my LC was to do out a list of every topic on the course or chapter, eg for business it would be the units, maths I'd base it on topics, such as differentiation, integration, probability. A sheet for each subject, with three boxes for each subject, one to tick off when you have revised it/done it in class, one to tick off when you have revised it yourself, and one to say that you have done exam questions on the topic.

Make out a rough timetable of your subjects, maybe two per night - say Irish and Business on a Monday. After you get your homework done, pick a topic or two to look over and do an exam q or two on them. Could take you 15 mins or 60 mins depending on what you do (I found a shorter time avoid procrastination!) - when you have it done, tick it off. Try and have the subjects that you do in school that day as subjects you revise that night.

Teachers will be giving ye loads of exam paper questions to do after the mocks, but take the time to do them well, try doing them without the book first and then do them out with the book/notes. Spend that bit of extra time on it learning off the stuff that you didn't get without the notes, and tick it off as you having it revised. If you have time, find a similar exam question and try it. If you have the stuff well learned off, your cramming session the night before the exam becomes a refresher section. Be honest with it, if you haven't done the work don't tick it off!

At the start the list will look very very blank, but it quickly comes together. A lot of the first column will be filled in already! It can be a source of motivation to try and fill those blanks, especially if you see them everyday! I'd put them up in your room or where ever you study. If you are panicking before the exams, you can look at these sheets and see all the topics that you have done and done well, and know that you are prepared, despite what you are feeling

Your exam papers are your bible for the next few months, you need to base all your work from them. Spend a bit of time looking at the marking schemes on examinations.ie, very important to understand where marks are going, such as in business.

Hope this helps some bit!
    WORD rebel girl 15

procrastination is my middle name too and my first name and my last name lol

btw i haven't studied anything at all, only 2 weeks left until mocks. I'm totally F'd!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for all the replies!

Rebel girl, that was an excellent post! That's great advice! During the mid term (after the mocks) I'll make up lists for every subject I do - it's a great way to keep yourself on track.

Also, one of my plans is to get one of those 2010 year planners (you know where it says the date and has loads of room to write in stuff underneath). This might help in organising what topic to do (the homework journal in school is far too small to write any significant things!).
    Does anyone have any recommendations of any good study organisers like this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks for all the replies!

Rebel girl, that was an excellent post! That's great advice! During the mid term (after the mocks) I'll make up lists for every subject I do - it's a great way to keep yourself on track.

Also, one of my plans is to get one of those 2010 year planners (you know where it says the date and has loads of room to write in stuff underneath). This might help in organising what topic to do (the homework journal in school is far too small to write any significant things!).
    Does anyone have any recommendations of any good study organisers like this?

Get an A4 2010 planner, there are still a few around, and you'd get them cheap now! If not, an a4 notebook, just date it would do as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I have this aswell.. I will sit down to study and then end up making a timetable or organising my folder or going to check a marking scheme and putting facebook on another tab.. and then I forget all about the marking scheme!! :L

I dont think I can study some things though.. I was at after school study today and I was learning some irish and I knew it.. tested myself and I cant remember it now at all.. its annoying :(

Pre's in less than 2weeks aswell... I am ffffffffuuukkkcceeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

If you guys think you're f-ed, I had my pre LAST week and I STILL haven't done any study :D.

Very nice idea creating a list of topics :D, I'm gonna try that. I agree that under pressure you remember a lot. When I was doing my maths paper one, all the study I did was read(yes read!) my textbook's example for the chapters Vectors, circle and Option one for 30 mins and I managed to remember most of the things I forgot. E.g I didn't even remember what the arrows mean in vectors :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

used be doing Irish poetry or something in the kitchen, and need a dictionary, go down to my room, 60 mins later I'm still in my room.
    !

Ah good- at least I'm not the only one that does it!

Advertisement