Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck/Broken UPVC window locks

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

Stuck/Broken UPVC Window locks

I have a couple of locks on my UPVC windows that are very stiff, so I can't engage the window lock with the key. I've tried WD40 amongst other things, with no luck. The house is about 3 years old and the builder got the windows from Munster Joinery. Does anyone know any D.I.Y. tricks for getting these locks to work? My Mother in Law had a lock replaced on a door last year and the locksmith charged her a fortune to come out and replace the lock etc. So if anyone has any tips or info send it my way please, I'm in the Achonry area BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

you can buy the locks seperate. And just replace them yourself. Verry easy on the upvc windows and doors. I think homebase have them (PM Bobcar, he works there) Otherwise there are a few more places in town where you can order them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Might be an idea to start a thread in Construction & Planning, you may a solution there.

For what it is worth, in my experience these locks are very simple affairs and there is only one moving pin inside for the key to move. A narrow screwdriver and some wriggling might free it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks Slidey I considered the forum you mentioned alright, but I reckoned if I need someone to call out, it would be better posted in the Sligo forum.
    I might post a picture later to give people a clear idea of the problem.
    I also have a problem with an external door multi-point locking mechanism I didn't mention in my OP, I was hoping someone might know a 'lock' person who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg.

Advertisement