Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we all love about Greystones!

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

How about sharing some of our favourite loves of Greystones.....

One of mine is...

A brisk early morning walk around the environs, including along the length of the seafront. Fresh salt-water air in my lungs, the sound of the dawn chorus and the crashing waves in my ears, and a contentment in my heart that I am so lucky to have this on my doorstep! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Dans on a Sunday night
    Chakra
    Choice of Golf Clubs
    The Sea
    Nice People

that's it....oh, and the ongoing roadworks !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Walking through the old Burnaby on an autumn day,
    Definitely Dann`s on a Sunday night,
    Hearing the children play in the schoolyard which reminds me of my own Silverstream school days,
    Church Road,
    South Beach sunrises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Pointing at the Ormond and telling people 'thats where Father Ted was filmed':D

Careful now

Sitting outside one of the many coffee shops/restaurants on a rare sunny and warm summer`s day, and people-watching! :cool:

Hey, nice one Pablo, I didn`t know that about the Ormond!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cherry Blossom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Where do I begin??

A pint in the Burnaby
    A Cherry Blossom Take Away
    a romantic meal in Chakra
    Walking the seafront
    Browsing the car boot sales in St Davids at the weekends
    The Driving Range in Charlesland
    A bit of trad in Danns on a Sunday night
    Getting my hair cut and having the craic in Declans barbar shop
    When I used to go fising / swimming off the back of the harbour
    Growing up in Greystones
    Knowing that when I leave work in Dublin, 45 mins later, I will be in the countryside; in one of the nicest towns in Ireland!!!

The Hungry Monk,
    Royal Park,
    The very friendly people,
    Morans Fish Shop,
    The Happy Pear,
    Being able to call Greystones "My Hometown",
    It`s infamous characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

when the weather's good its almost like being on holidays!

Costa Del Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

My mates all live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

I love:

Getting my fruit and veg in The Happy Pear on a Saturday.
    Popping into Cavistons for a bit of fish
    The view from Windgates
    Driving through the Glen O the Downs after a hard day and feeling that I'm home.
    Showing relatives and friends around the village and feeling proud that I live here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

neets wrote: »
    The view from Windgates

can be amazing on occasion. Full moon over the harbour as you come down through windgates can be brilliant.

Was heading home one day a couple of weeks back and there was low cloud over the town, completely obscuring the greystones golf course and that area. Really did look amazing come down the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Moved to greystones when in 1990 when I was 12 - Grew up here and had most of my "firsts" ;) here....

I remember when Xtra vision used to be the shopping basket... When we all drank in the Den (then heroes), knew Ken the bouncer.... went to the P n' R in the rugby club.... Played video games in Sweeney's - I also remember the tabacco shop where Ladbrokes is now and the Antiques shop used to be beside the Burnaby which was also owened by the byrnes!

Does this make me a local ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I love :
    The coastline,the Dart, double decker buses, the sports facilities, the shops, the housing estates (new and old),the schools, the people. When I was growing up in the area we had a cinema (Ormonde)1 chipper (Pennycooks), 1 coffee shop (Copper Kettle original).
    Its wonderful to see so many people enjoying the food inside and outside the many restaurants, chip shops and coffee shops in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Guys, guys, guys... now when you are all done flinging muck at each other, would someone mind explaining how this thread has got so far off-topic? :rolleyes:

This thread is for everyone who "knows" Greystones, regardless of the time spent living here, or simply visiting!

I agree.

Please stick to the topic guys. :)

The Buzz in the town,
    The convent,
    The silence in the train station between trains, when you can hear the sea, and the birds,
    Sweeneys fish and chips, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

The Christmas lights in the village after dark
    The hanging baskets in the summer
    A sneaky pit stop for an ice cream after a stroll along the sea front
    Popping into Brady's on a Saturday for some random DIY stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Sweeney's Chips... mmmm

The Cliff Walk

St. Patrick`s Day Parade,
    Folk mass in the church,
    Playing jumping stones across the water off the beach on a calm day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Early evening meal in The Hungry Monk with my bottle of Spaten and a smile watching the town stroll by.

Remembering walking the bridge over the train tracks on my way into David's trying to think what excuse i could give to Mr. Clancy.

August bank holiday weekend, when the whole town is buzzing and everyone is having a good time.

Walking the South Beach on a summers morning

I gave a warning a few posts back and some still feel the need to drag this topic down.

From this point on, off topic/trouble making posts will be removed.

• Advertisement

The Burnaby...
    Vino Pasta..
    BlackLion... coolest name for a Town District Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i've deleted about half the posts on this thread as they were all bad-tempered argumentative crap that had nothing to do with the original topic.

Blandpebbles - this is not the first thread that you've dragged off course with smartass remarks, the next one will result in a ban.

loyatemu wrote: »

Blandpebbles - this is not the first thread that you've dragged off course with smartass remarks, the next one will result in a ban.

I would just like to add to what loyatemu said.
    Moderators can read posts deleted by users we can also read the originall version of an edited post. So deleting or editing posts wont cover any trouble provoking comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Used to love walking down onto the sand at the harbour where there was a gap in the wall between the sea and harbour and when the waves were bashing against it we all got soaked (mammy used to go mad!) great childhood memory

Driving across Bohilla Lane looking at the amazing view of Greystones and the Sea.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Early evening meal in The Hungry Monk with my bottle of Spaten and a smile watching the town stroll by.

Remembering walking the bridge over the train tracks on my way into David's trying to think what excuse i could give to Mr. Clancy.

August bank holiday weekend, when the whole town is buzzing and everyone is having a good time.

Walking the South Beach on a summers morning

Don`t you just love it, memories especially of schooltimes... here`s one of mine..

Congregating down at the Men`s Bathing Place when school finished half day for the summer!
    Actually, I will set this as a new thread "School Memories" :)

The rugby club when they host a game.

Used to love when the Bray Hunt meet started at the Woodlands Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

neets wrote: »
    Popping into Brady's on a Saturday for some random DIY stuff!

Thats scary. Neets you need to get out more!

Driving over Bray head on a friday evening and seeing greystones and knowing that you dont have to go near %*!ing Dublin for another two days
    A Pint in Danns several minutes later
    Sailing in Greystones bay near sunset on Wednesday nights
    The sailing club bar after sailing on a sunny saturday
    Sitting in the harbour at......oops better not go there!
    The rugby club bar on a cold winter afternoon having frozen your---- off on the side of the pitch for two hours watching Greystones loose again.

Advertisement