Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circuit Board Repair

Options
  • 08-02-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I bought automatic gate openers on eBay and did not install until guarantee ran out and then found out the circuit board was faulty. Unable to get a spare circuit board on the net (one on eBay but tried to buy one and waited for months for delivery and ended up getting my money back).
    The board controls two motors, one for each of the gate arms. One of the motors (arms) is not working. Swapped the motors over and the other arm worked. Problems therefore lay with the board. Check the output relay for the arm on question and have the 220V switching with no load. Connect the motor and still switching (can here the relay pulling in) but 220v is being pulled to 0V.

Does anybody know where I may be able to get the circuit board repaired?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

have you got a 'snap' of board out of interest
    sounds like a simple repair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Where are you? I have a guy in dublin west.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 titsonabull

Here is a pictue of the circuit board.

I'm in Louth but work in dublin west.

Any ideas greatly appriciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

I reckon you could be in a spot of bother. A pic of the PCB is just showing the components and the complexity of it's design.
    What you need is a schematic and a means to trace the signals on the board if your to find out why the output is pulled to 0v. Since you've swapped over the motors and the other one functions then your motor isn't the cause. But with a load attached to the faulty PCB it could be anything on the board thats dragging the voltage to 0v.
    Your probably not going to get any more help with this on here. If you have a multimeter and a schematic of the board, may also need a clamp meter to varify current. You might be able to fault find the issue. I'm assuming your measuring the voltage at the terminals for the motor when the Relay is energised? Could have an issue with your transformer, but really it could be anything.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any ideas greatly appriciated.

It should be very easy to spot the power wiring on the circuit board, i would examine all the solder joints on the faulty channel and see are any bad. You can get dry/cracked solder joints around the legs of the large through whole components such as relays and fuses.

Cause you have a working channel and a broken one it should be fairly easy to spot the difference between the two.

If you find a bad solder joint, just re-solder it with a large soldering iron and a little bit more solder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

thats what i thought .

should be easy to trace mains through 'power relay '

davelerave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sounds like a shagged relay contact (or dry joint thereof) to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Just a suggestion
    Have a look at the back of the board underneath the two blue relays with the writing on.
    Sometimes one of the pins gets bent under when its assembled.
    The hole gets soldered, but the pin isnt sticking through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Sounds to me like a faulty relay.

First check all the joints as suggested and the track from the relay to the board connector.
    If this appears okay then try swapping the "good" relay over.

Will need a soldering iron, solder vacuum pump, solder and ideally a multimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Solder wick and a bit of practice, otherwise you'll destroy the board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement