Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco car insurance

Options
  • 08-02-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Hope somebody can give me some advice on where to go or what to do with this crowd, to make a long story short, my mother wanted to save some money on her car insurance so we got a quote online from tesco, this was before the website went down for some upgrade to it, so for the last 3 weeks or so weve been dealing with the agents on the phone so quick rundown

1) They resent us the quote we originally got on the website

2) We have actually paid for the policy by laser card and they have not actaully sent the policy through to us

3) 3 agents on the phone have told us they have sent it and each time we get the same standard answer it was supposed to be sent but well send it now anyways just in case

4) we were issued a policy number which we took down and read back to the agent that gave it to us, and today we were told that that policy number that we were given was invalid that theres 3 extra numbers on it that shouldnt be there and again there going to post out the policy to us

We just seem to be banging our heads against the wall so anyone know where we cant take it or what to do next

TRI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You have 14 days i think that you can stay no, and refund the full policy amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

ill have to check back but i think we well past 14 days at this stage but cant be sure but thx for the advice

TRI

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

The Financial Regulator is the official body in charge of overseeing the Insurance industry in Ireland - I'd contact them and seek their advice on how to proceed.

From the Tesco insurance website...
    Tesco Car Insurance is arranged by Tesco Personal Finance plc, it is underwritten and administered by RSA Insurance Ireland Ltd.
    Tesco Personal Finance plc is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority, www.tesco.ie
    RSA Insurance Ireland Ltd. is regulated by the Financial Regulator and is a member of the Irish Insurance Federation

I'd also recommend contacting the Irish Insurance Federation

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

hi,

just to let you know i believe Tesco Car Insurance recently changed from being underwritten by Hiberian Aviva Limited to RSA insurance Limited (hence website change). This could be why you're having problems.

were with nononsense.ie very cheap 3rd party (but nt driving a valuable car), nt d best service but gt policy documents at least!!

Tesco seem to be all iover d place, they had flyers for a chance to win a honda civic whwn u get a quote(like lasts years) and at d same time on their receipts it said a renault megane and that clubcard customers got a €30 gift card whren purchase over the phone. all diff dates nd conditions - messy

Very happy with their credit card operation though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I had a similar situation with Tesco, which was made worse by the fact that my husband was stopped by the Gardai a couple of days after getting the insurance and was told to produce the insurance cert at the station. I rang 3 times in the space of a week to ensure it was on its way yet it still did not arrive within the time period the Gardai wanted their letter. It even got to a stage where I asked for a letter to be faxed to us to state the car was insured and that the certificate had not been received so we could at least produce this, we were told that since it was after 4pm they could not fax:eek: I asked for a postal address and email address to issue a complaint to and the agent gave me his email address and the postal address with fao for his name, I quickly said I wanted to email a complaint that included this phonecall so would want to go higher than himself. I was given an email address for the tech department as for some reason his computer crashed and he could not access the necessary data.

That last conversation led me to write a serious complaint both to the Tesco Insurance crowd and Hibernian, if I remember correctly this is the crowd they use for insurance. I also sent the email to every email address I could find within the Tesco website and by registered letter. I received within a few days my certificate, a letter to send present to the Gardai with Tesco accepting responsibilty for the delay and a letter of apology with a Tesco giftcard included, I think iy was €50 or something like that as far as I recall.

Anyway, with my experience the service was rubish but the price was still the best and I did get extra money for the hassle. My advice is keep with the complaints, send them to everyone including the insuranc eprovider which is not Tesco itself, as above I think it is Hibernian and hopefully you will get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

lotsofthegreen, please don't use txt spk, it makes your posts very hard to read.

Advertisement