Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should be the next leader of Fine Gael?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Independent newspaper is currently running a poll on if he should be replaced.

25uqjpj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Biggins wrote: »
    The Independent newspaper is currently running a poll on if he should be replaced.

25uqjpj.jpg

It just emphasizes all the more how out of touch FG are and particularly Kenny. Unless they get a new leader soon they are in for a shock at the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It just emphasizes all the more how out of touch FG are and particularly Kenny. Unless they get a new leader soon they are in for a shock at the next election.

Well they need to change leader now (ie in the next month) to try and start a momentum towards the expected GE in 2012. If they stick with Kenny and only decide to change closer to 2012 then it could be a disaster of Mayan* proportions for them.

*(sorry I couldn't resist it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

25uqjpj.jpg
    Mr.Micro wrote: »

How do you think a poll would look asking the same question of Brian Cowen?
    Or how about a poll on the government? I mean don't the polls show that they have around 23% support....so where is the general election? where is their replacement?
    If Kennys approval ratings dont start to rise then I think he must be replaced but definitely not because of this George Lee thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's time for Shane Ross to quit the Senate. FG should parachute him into George Lee's seat and immediately make him party leader. Then perhaps we would finally have the kind of honest,respected, intellectual leadership with an ability comunicate fearlessly and effectively that the country deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

How do you think a poll would look asking the same question of Brian Cowen?
    Or how about a poll on the government? I mean don't the polls show that they have around 23% support....so where is the general election? where is their replacement?
    If Kennys approval ratings dont start to rise then I think he must be replaced but definitely not because of this George Lee thing.

With all that has happened over the last year FG have been IMO very ineffective in opposition and Eamonn Gilmore has outshone them completely. This Lee issue is just a further example of the apathy that seems to be affecting FG. If it as a party are afraid to deal with the issue of a new dynamic leader now then they would be just as ineffective in Government as the current lot and that would not be good for our country.

I really do like the idea of Shane Ross as leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

stepbar wrote: »
    Well done on your selective quoting there.... but you missed a bit...

Now, if you want to start another thread arguing the percentages, by all means fire ahead. The point remains that communication is more about a person's non-verbal actions than anything they've got to say. It's a fallacy even trying to argue that.
    I'm just saying don't throw around percentages like that which have nothing to do with political rhetoric, expect people to pull you up on it. Don't quote Mehrabian on political speeches - it doesn't come into this kind of comunication.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Bruton is the standout canditate and Leo Varadkar would fancy it himself but is no doubt a couple of years away from it.

dixierip wrote: »
    Bruton is the standout canditate and Leo Varadkar would fancy it himself but is no doubt a couple of years away from it.

Bruton needs to stay in finance, he is excellent there.
    Varadkar says he'd love to be leader one day but points out he's never been in government so he wants to just do that first, do a good job, and maybe in 10 years time he'll be in a position to lead (said so himself on the radio).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Again? Last elections leaders debate was between Kenny and Ahern and was called a draw/damp squid by most neutral observers from what I remember.

Totally agree. Kenny didn't exactly impress but Ahern (IMO) came across as a childish, load mouthed idiot. I was honestly expecting him to shout 'yer ma' at Kenny at any stage.

However I watched it with about 5 others at the time (flat mate and a few of her friends) and they were lapping up every word of Ahern's nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

25uqjpj.jpg

The Irish Times are also running one.

I'd normally be very wary of such self-selecting polls, though I think these ones are generally representative of the public mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

He's not even in Fine Gael. I think he was a FG member some years back, but couldn't hack the party system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

If varadkar became the next leader of FG, I'd reconsider my support for FG. He's not leadership material IMO.

you are so wrong , its not funny

id fancy ivan yates a whole lot more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Of the two newspaper polls that were done, I wonder how much of the minority percentage that voted - were actually FF voters?
    I say this because they probably want the poodle like Enda (biteless and meek) to keep running FG.
    It clearly gives them a better chance of re-election!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

irishh_bob wrote: »
    you are so wrong , its not funny

I'm wrong huh? lol :rolleyes:

You might want to expand on your one liner seeing you're doing the disagreeing..... Exactly what qualities do you see in Varadkar that would make him worthy of the FG leadership?

I'm just saying don't throw around percentages like that which have nothing to do with political rhetoric, expect people to pull you up on it. Don't quote Mehrabian on political speeches - it doesn't come into this kind of comunication.

Perhaps you might like to throw another theory out into the mix there, huh?

I didn't "quote" Mehrabian per se but that's beside the point and you know it. Anyhow, who said I was talking about political speeches? Not every interview Enda Kenny conducts or conversation he holds is a party political broadcast. However, one things for sure, his non verbal communication skills are not powerful and have everything to do with the power of "political rhetoric".

I'm wrong huh? lol :rolleyes:

You might want to expand on your one liner seeing you're doing the disagreeing..... Exactly what qualities do you see in Varadkar that would make him worthy of the FG leadership?

well hes articulate , bright , speaks with authority , is mature for his years , not afraid to speak some home truths but most of all , being one of the few politicians on the right , hes someone who would help fine gael rediscover thier conservative roots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Perhaps you might like to throw another theory out into the mix there, huh?

I didn't "quote" Mehrabian per se but that's beside the point and you know it.
    It's not beside the point. You did quote his research findings, except it is wrong to use them in a political context. It's simple.
    Anyhow, who said I was talking about political speeches? Not every interview Enda Kenny conducts or conversation he holds is a party political broadcast.
    You were talking about his ability to "deliver a message". Read the posts.
    However, one things for sure, his non verbal communication skills are not powerful and have everything to do with the power of "political rhetoric".
    That's fine - then say that. Don't start using figures which are not applicable because people notice and it devalues your entire post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Shane Ross would be fantastic! he is the only one involved in politics that i can genuinely say wow to! he is what you would expect every politician to be... I cant believe how dilusional the FG members are! I would urge everyone to vote "No" at the below link. FG obviously need it rammed down their throats that Kenny is a liability!

http://www.independent.ie/

It's not beside the point. You did quote his research findings, except it is wrong to use them in a political context. It's simple.

How so?

I asked you for another theory but you're unable to provide one. So please if you're going to correct me at least provide a bit of reasoning behind it.

Advertisement