Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Pokéfans survive in sunlight?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if any of the Pokéfans here and interested in meeting in real life? It just just be a one off thing, or it could turn into a weekly trade and battle thing.

I live in Dublin, free during the week and work weekends, but can meet Saturday mornings. Just wondering if anyone else would be interested in meeting face to face?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I could do this, I tend to do nothing during the weekends.

Only if I can bring the aul DS though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Only if I can bring the aul DS though :D
    You mean yours isn't surgically attached to you hands?

No, my Gameboy is because I'm playing Emerald atm :pac:

No, my Gameboy is because I'm playing Emerald atm :pac:
    Still trying to fill the Hoenn 'dex then?

Yah, I need 4 more I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I could do this.

Can link cables be used to trade/battle with the DS, like with the GBC?
    My Wifi still aint working.:(

No, but you don't have to be connected to d'internet if you're trading with someone beside you.

Awesome!!!!!!!
    Is it the same with battling?
    I'm dying to battle against a real person.:)

Yep :) It's exactly the same as if you had a link cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I suppose I'd be up for this. After slightly tweaking my Japanese Platinum team to work in the Battle Frontier, going against others might be a welcome change of pace.

I'm in college in DCU for the week, but I have Tuesdays off if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I wouldn't mind doing this either. However, I have never done EVs/IVs properly and prefer UU/NU in battle. >_<

It'll be interesting to watch others though.

And HGSS out next month! :D

EVs/IV & UU/UN?

Lost now...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

CianRyan wrote: »
    EVs/IV & UU/UN?

Lost now...
    Yeah me too!!

What an idea though - Pokefan meetings... It's like I'm 9 all over again!!:D

Does anybody happen to have extra link cables they're not using? I will happily buy them off anyone for like a tenner... or maybe even 15 quid *bribes* I haven't had any for years and am so sick (and so's my OH) of getting everything almost finished and not being able to get the ones you had to trade... Damn you Kadabra!

EVs/IV & UU/UN?

Lost now...

Effort Values/Individual Values & Under-user/Never-used.

IVs are what make individual Pokémon unique by changing their stats from the base stats in different ways. EVs are another factor in what determine how many points your Pokémon gains when levelling up. Some sad people who play massively competitively stress out when the Pokémon they have bred have bad IVs, or when they don't give the right EVs to the latest Pokémon they are trainins.

Under-used and Never-used are "tiers" of Pokémon in competitive gaming. In laymans terms they generally mean "crap" and "really crap".

Keogg wrote: »
    Yeah me too!!

What an idea though - Pokefan meetings... It's like I'm 9 all over again!!:D

Does anybody happen to have extra link cables they're not using? I will happily buy them off anyone for like a tenner... or maybe even 15 quid *bribes* I haven't had any for years and am so sick (and so's my OH) of getting everything almost finished and not being able to get the ones you had to trade... Damn you Kadabra!
    *waves hand in the air* Hey over here! I have link cables suitable for every generation, and possibly a full 'dex in most of them too. Just remind me and I'll being them. I'm not selling them (too hard to get again), but you are free to use them as much as you need to.
    TheChrisD wrote: »
    Effort Values/Individual Values

IVs are what make individual Pokémon unique by changing their stats from the base stats in different ways. EVs are another factor in what determine how many points your Pokémon gains when levelling up. Some sad people who play massively competitively stress out when the Pokémon they have bred have bad IVs, or when they don't give the right EVs to the latest Pokémon they are trainins.
    I find this works best in explaining EV/IVs:

IVs (Indivial Values): These are the "building blocks" of each stat. They range from 0(worst)-31(best). The better the IVs, the better the stat. That wasn't so bad was it?

EVs (Effort Values): (Bear with me on this one) These are the "effort" you have to put into a stat to get the best from it. When you battle a Pokemon, you get EXP, but you also get "hidden" effort points. These points help build stats. It sounds a bit daft, but for example (when done right) fighting nothing but Bibarel for an hour can add +16 to the attack stat on level up. That's +16, not +2 or +3, but +16!! Then you go, "aaaaah.....so that's EVing...."
    (That is just the basics, there's more to it than that)
    I'm in college in DCU for the week, but I have Tuesdays off if that helps.
    I'm back in Dublin on Friday (currently at Animex in Middlebrough, UK), but sorted for meeting any day any time during the week and Saturday mornings. Let me know what suits the masses!

I've never seen anything more than a +4! :eek:
    I really have to start getting into this stuff more, it seems to pay well!

I have Thursdays off, the rest of the working week I'm busy.
    As of right now, Saturdays and most Sundays are free.

We need to sort this out soon!

I got a +6 while training up my SS team before the Elite Four. I think I got it on my Entei's Attack stat after battling so many of the Pokémon in the grasses before Victory Road. And since he had so little EVs already from being caught at Level 40...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I got a +6 while training up my SS team before the Elite Four. I think I got it on my Entei's Attack stat after battling so many of the Pokémon in the grasses before Victory Road. And since he had so little EVs already from being caught at Level 40...

I traded for a high enough level Metagross once. I used those berries to remove IV's I didn't want and then battled Gyarados and Seakings for ages and got a +23 boost to ATK. it was awesome.

I really have to start getting into this stuff more, it seems to pay well!
    evrecord.jpg
    ^Not my photo, but that's what happens (the longer it takes to level up, the bigger the "bonus" that's the biggest I've seen).
    Trivia: That Mewtwo has a nickname, the first three symbols don't look like Mew (ミュウ), Mewtwo is ミュウツー
    I have Thursdays off, the rest of the working week I'm busy.
    As of right now, Saturdays and most Sundays are free.

We need to sort this out soon!
    So for the moment, we'll say Thursday. PM me when you have times, location and the sort 90% sorted, I'm a little paranoid about random people showing up, so the specific details will be kept (somewhat) safe.

ANYONE ELSE IN INTERNETLAND WANT TO MEET ON THURSDAY?
    Post up and we'll take it from there! :)

I'm training all of my Pokémon north of Twinleaf town from now on.
    Holy crap! :|

I'm dying sick right now, so I may have to wait a bit.
    I'm also on midterm next week which gives me more flexibility.

Once the man flue leaves I'll PM.

As said, Any one else?

• Advertisement

I'm free for the majority of next week too with mid term :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Most days are good for me. :)

So yeah, any day this week, I'm easy so I'll let people that can only meet on specific days calls the shots.

So let's say Thursday at the moment, meeting in Dublin city center (I will PM the interested people who reply to this post with the full on details). I'll throw out a message to the other Dubby fans who are on my Facebook and try to get the biggest gathering organised!

EDIT: Added an event page on my Facebook

Thursday sounds sweet to me!

I just had a mate suggest we hold our own Heart Gold/Soul Silver launch party in the city. I think it's a great idea, but what do the 'boarders think?

Hmmm, my Thursday schedule isn't the greatest - I'm in lectures from 10 until 1 with no break - and then I want to be back in college for 6 for the weekly anime showings.

But, I'll wait and see what the majority of others are saying.

I just had a mate suggest we hold our own Heart Gold/Soul Silver launch party in the city. I think it's a great idea, but what do the 'boarders think?

Sounds good :)

Anywhere doing a midnight launch? Or am I just very hopeful :o

I'm into the idea of a launch party!
    Hmmm, my Thursday schedule isn't the greatest - I'm in lectures from 10 until 1 with no break - and then I want to be back in college for 6 for the weekly anime showings.

If it's not good fot you, I can reschedule.
    Sounds good :)

Anywhere doing a midnight launch? Or am I just very hopeful :o

Tbh, man... I think you're very hopeful!
    Haha

• Advertisement

I just suggested Thursday as shops are open later so we can stay longer and get more chats before getting kicked out. As it stands I can meet CianRyan with the confirmed few from Facebook.

As for HG/SS launch, so far the game shops in Dublin have no plans for a late opening for Pokémens, but that doesn't mean we can't get up really early and wait for them to open.....

Advertisement