Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap car advice...

• 08-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking to get my first car but I don't really have a lot to spend. I'm looking something around the range of 1-1.5k maybe upto 2k if its worth it. There seems to be decent choice on carzone.ie but as I can't really go around looking at all the cars in the lot I was wondering if you guys could help me picking out a couple of good ones so I could go check them out.

Also as its gonna be the first car, i'ld like something that'ld be cheap to insure. Not picky about any particular car model (beggars can't be choosers!). Anything that runs decently will do.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to help me out! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

well youll be looking at 1.0-1.2l then if you want to keep costs down... so anything from corsa,micra,clio,punto etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get something cheap that has at least 1 year NCT left, preferably longer. This way you know it was roadworthy not too long ago.
    Bring a knowledgeable friend with you. If you can't then a long NCT is even more important.

The NCT test is more concerned with safety and gas emissions than with road worthiness but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

Magnus wrote: »
    Get something cheap that has at least 1 year NCT left, preferably longer. This way you know it was roadworthy not too long ago.
    Bring a knowledgeable friend with you. If you can't then a long NCT is even more important.

The NCT test is more concerned with safety and gas emissions than with road worthiness but still...

Sorry to hijack but is the NCT now yearly for cars over ten years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Thanks, so I'll first look for only cars that have NCT till atleast 2011.

I was basically wondering if there's anything specific I should look for before I select a car to go check out/test drive. Like if there's any specific models that are better and more reliable than others or any specific models I should stay away from. Also how much does the mileage effect the car. Like how much mileage is too much mileage and I should avoid.

Just stuff like this that could help me narrowing down my search to a few 3-4 cars I can go check out to buy. As I've never bought or owned a car I just wanna be extra careful to not end up with a nightmare car. Especially when I'm looking at the bottom end of the market. And also I wouldn't wanna waste my time going around looking at many cars that wouldn't be very good...

Like what would you think of these cars:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Fiesta/1.2-3DR-/200928194588681/advert?channel=CARS
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Micra/1.0-5dr-/201003196602635/advert?channel=CARS

Would they be worth checking out or should I not waste my time with them and look for something better maybe more expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Sorry to hijack but is the NCT now yearly for cars over ten years?

not yet next year(2011) I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

snowman707 wrote: »
    not yet next year(2011) I think

Okay so my car is up in July, all going well and it passes, I should get a cert valid until 2012?

that ford fiesta looks way too much for what it is..

my advice if these are the cars you are looking at would be to buy private and bring someone who knows what to look for. The cars you are looking at would be under 1000 in private sale or should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

oxegen85 wrote: »
    my advice if these are the cars you are looking at would be to buy private and bring someone who knows what to look for. The cars you are looking at would be under 1000 in private sale or should be

I was about to ask this.
    Generally I see cars for sale on places like adverts.ie or donedeal are much cheaper than on carzone.
    So is there really any much advantage in buying it from a dealer or are dealers just ripping you off??...

well you would have the advantage of 3/6 month warranty with a dealer but if you or someone you know can check it out id go private. I hear a lot of people on here saying dealers dont really follow through with their warranties

• Advertisement
Advertisement