Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-booked train ticket, go on Alternative train?

• 08-02-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I have a prebooked train ticket for the 6.30 train to Waterford next week

I now realise that i need to be in waterford before the 8.50 arrival time and would like to take one of the earlier trains to Waterford on the friday...

Does anyone know if this is possible?

The T&Cs state:
    "If a Standard or Premier reservation has been made a customer may travel in standard class on another train that day as long as the journey is similar and the replacement train is not fully reserved. A supplement fare may be applicable"

When i rang IR and ske to a lady there she said i must cancel my existing booking. Apply for a refund (-20% penalty) and then re-book a new ticket for my new times...

Does anyone knwo who is correct?
    It is my opinion that i can take any train that day... but just won't have a reserved seat?

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The only experience i've had of this was last October. Had booked to return to Dublin on an Enterprise around 15.00 hours but we decided we wanted to leave around 12.00 instead. We went down to Belfast Central and asked could we use our ticket on an earlier train and were told there was no problem as it was the same service and just a different departure time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

geecee wrote: »
    Hi All
    I have a prebooked train ticket for the 6.30 train to Waterford next week

I now realise that i need to be in waterford before the 8.50 arrival time and would like to take one of the earlier trains to Waterford on the friday...

Does anyone know if this is possible?

The T&Cs state:
    "If a Standard or Premier reservation has been made a customer may travel in standard class on another train that day as long as the journey is similar and the replacement train is not fully reserved. A supplement fare may be applicable"

When i rang IR and ske to a lady there she said i must cancel my existing booking. Apply for a refund (-20% penalty) and then re-book a new ticket for my new times...

Does anyone knwo who is correct?
    It is my opinion that i can take any train that day... but just won't have a reserved seat?

Thanks in Advance!

You can take the earlier train as the terms and conditions state, but you will not have a reserved seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It seems to be sufficiently vaguely worded to suggest that you can take another train, but they reserve the right to be awkward about it if they so desire (a supplemental fare may apply).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I think the rule is that you can take any train that same day - BUT if you paid for a cheap off peak fare, and want to travel close to a busy time, you have to pay the difference.
    I don't think there'll be a difference in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did it two weekends ago, got my ticket transfered to an earlier train, it cost 4 euros to do so, I just presented the ticket at the ticket office and asked for it to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Do the tickets say on them what time the service is that they are supposed to be used on?

FWIW, the couple of times I phoned IR the person I got talking to had to look up their website for the answer to my questions, and if the answer wasn't on the website I was told to go into Heuston and ask! I place no faith in what an IR employee would tell me over the phone as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My ticket had the time and date on it, I had it changed for an earlier time on the day,
    it cost me 4 euro to do so and it meant my seat was not reserved on the earlier train but it was that painless.
    A supplementary ticket was printed up and stabled to the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

JHMEG wrote: »
    Do the tickets say on them what time the service is that they are supposed to be used on?

FWIW, the couple of times I phoned IR the person I got talking to had to look up their website for the answer to my questions, and if the answer wasn't on the website I was told to go into Heuston and ask! I place no faith in what an IR employee would tell me over the phone as a result.

Yes they do.

But as per the terms and conditions if you choose to travel on a different train you can provided there are seats available.

However, if you have booked one of the web promotional fares (i.e. the EUR 10 or EUR 20 fares) as opposed to the standard web fare, then you will have to pay the difference up to the standard web fare.

Advertisement