Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Visitors to garden...help needed to identify

Options
  • 08-02-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Had these new visitors to the garden this week just gone. Can anyone help with their identification please. I think one is a goldfinch but the others I just don't know...Never saw them before in the garden...

img5568v.jpg

img5695.jpg

img5412q.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

You're the lucky person to have such a lovely selection coming into the garden.

The first photograph shows a Redpoll - I'm only almost certain of this identification. Do an image search on google to double check - sorry, too lazy to get off my bum to look in a book. P.S. Have since checked and, yes, it is a redpoll, red forehead and black bib.

The second photograph shows a goldfinch on the left and a siskin (thought it was a greenfinch on first looking) on the right.

The third photograph shows a blackcap - very nice to see this one. They are inclined to be bullies around the bird feeders. Your photograph shows a male; the female has a light brown "cap".

Redpoll, siskin and blackcap and certainly uncommon in gardens. Great to catch it on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The second pic has what looks to be a male Siskin sitting across from the Goldfinch.

It has the black cap that male siskins have and the yellow cheeks that a male siskin has. Plus it is slightly smaller than the goldfinch, wheras a greenfinch is much larger and stronger in build to a goldfinch.

550px-Eurasian_Siskin.jpg

oops sorry black dog, had not spotted your edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Kess73 wrote: »
    oops sorry black dog, had not spotted your edit.

All is fine. I jumped in without looking carefully. I like your photograph of the siskin, great clarity, focus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks a mill guys......The camera didn't show the fantastic splash of colour, just brilliant, perhaps I had better wash the windows...New entry for the garden survey...Thanks again...

• Advertisement

Black Dog wrote: »
    All is fine. I jumped in without looking carefully. I like your photograph of the siskin, great clarity, focus etc.

I did not take it, it was one I found online.

Advertisement