Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee on Frontline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gretchy

Wonder how this looks at European and Multinational level. The second largest party in the country unable to retain a man of George Lee's potential. Irish politics!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I think George Lee is too honest and has too much integrity for Irish politics, nothing to do with him leaving because he didn't get his own way.
    He simply wasn't prepared to play the cosy game of backslapping and shmoozing that's called for to get on in politics here.
    He was too idealistic and honest for his own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Gretchy wrote: »
    Wonder how this looks at European and Multinational level. The second largest party in the country unable to retain a man of George Lee's potential. Irish politics!!!!

It's not that they were unable to retain him, he let himself down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

anybody else spot the young FF candiate as soon as he opened his mouth ?
    then confirmed by Kenny :)

Leo is rocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did anyone see that opportunist pr1ck Shay Brennan on the news today saying "I'm not a quitter. I'll be running the next time".. Last thing we need is a wimp like him in for the career and the pension, just cos his father was there before him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

Leo being quite reasonable - that's a surprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

And what about the fact that policy makers in FG who made formal submissions to him, had their requests ignored?

The fact is, George Lee wanted to be parachuted directly into a Finance Ministry or Enterprise, his biggest issue is probably that there was no general election before his May watershed with RTE.

Fine gael were happy to take on mr.popular for their own gains ,thats clear now.
    I wanted to vote for fine gael ,because I want a new government. But who else is being ignored in fine gael and within other parties in irish politics.

It's a bad day for irish politics ,but some good will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Greentopia wrote: »
    I think George Lee is too honest and has too much integrity for Irish politics, nothing to do with him leaving because he didn't get his own way.
    He simply wasn't prepared to play the cosy game of backslapping and shmoozing that's called for to get on in politics here.

Probably a lot of truth there. he found out the TD s do very little except collect their expenses and salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Leo Varadkar probably the best guy that FG could have put on tonight and he has done a good job with a poisoned chalice.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

What's Leo a doctor of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Greentopia wrote: »

I don't think you could be further from the truth. He had no idea of the back room slog involved and went in feet first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Nicki123 wrote: »
    What's Leo a doctor of?
    medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

In 48 hours, the name "George Lee" will be dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What's Leo a doctor of?

He's a GP.

Have to say, I think he's one of the most impressive people we have in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Probably a lot of truth there. he found out the TD s do very little except collect their expenses and salaries.

No I do think they do a lot, but most of it is nothing to do with their jobs. Our TD's are just glorified County Councillors pandering to parish pump politics. Until that's addressed nothing will change.

I think George Lee didnt understand how political parties work - once elected, the spotlight was off and he was expected to get in there and do the work like every other backbencher - the glitz and the glamour was over and he couldnt hack it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Leo loses it at the end agreeing there is a problem with leadership. Bad decision to parachute a celeb in to win a seat.

Sorry Mickey
    Dont agree with you there.
    Picture the scenario. Your local GAA/Rugby/Whatever club is been run into the ground by the committee. You have a few lads on the sideline that have been trying to get a grasp on things but just cant convince people to give them the chance. Along comes a guy whom the public and members have a vibe about, but because he is an outsider and not of the "local" stock he is ignored by the current set-up.
    Did this happen here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

When will George Lee release his book?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

deadtiger wrote: »
    Jesus Ivan Yates is the leader that Fine Gael needs badly. Its a shame he stood down from them. He'd make a great Taoiseach imho.
    His ability to be in two places at once would be helpful when Taoiseach!
    Did anyone see that opportunist pr1ck Shay Brennan on the news today saying "I'm not a quitter. I'll be running the next time".. Last thing we need is a wimp like him in for the career and the pension, just cos his father was there before him.
    The nepotism card works for the rest of the country so why not in DS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

Cabra wrote: »
    I think George Lee didnt understand how political parties work - once elected, the spotlight was off and he was expected to get in there and do the work like every other backbencher - the glitz and the glamour was over and he couldnt hack it

Thats the point, there not working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Gretchy wrote: »
    Sorry Mickey
    Dont agree with you there.
    Picture the scenario. Your local GAA/Rugby/Whatever club is been run into the ground by the committee. You have a few lads on the sideline that have been trying to get a grasp on things but just cant convince people to give them the chance. Along comes a guy whom the public and members have a vibe about, but because he is an outsider and not of the "local" stock he is ignored by the current set-up.
    Did this happen here!!

Probably part of it. But the outsider needs to bring people along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

He's a GP.

Have to say, I think he's one of the most impressive people we have in the Dáil.

Yeah I have to say that he impresses me. But will he have to serve his time at the coalface before he gets a shot at the top job or will FG realise that the public want a young, dynamic alternative to the FF'ers and put ppl like this into the driving seat of the party....

George Lee got his chance - he confirmed himself that he was promised nothing - the life of a backbencher is not a pretty one and he clearly never expected to have to do the work everyone else has to do to get their issues on the agenda - methinks he made the classic mistake of believing his own propaganda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Yeah I have to say that he impresses me. But will he have to serve his time at the coalface before he gets a shot at the top job or will FG realise that the public want a young, dynamic alternative to the FF'ers and put ppl like this into the driving seat of the party....
    What do you mean? He's enterprise spokesman, he has already worked his way up. I think it's a bit early to tout him as leader tbh. The man is 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Leos comment about the two staffers facing the dole :D . Truely the best knife of the day. On the whole i think it has reflected poorly on George.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

George Lee is like a spoilt child . . .
    No one will ever take him seriously again!!!

Personally, after what he did today and said just now, I take him more seriously than I ever did before

Anyway George will be back in RTE by the end of the month - I'm sure they have a vacancy in children's programming - or he could join Charlie Bird on the woe is me nobody loves me wagon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

When will George Lee release his book?

Whats he gonna write about? The way he hid in his office For months talking to nobody.

• Advertisement

Agree
    But lets face it. The level of education that GL brought to this party outshone the majority he joined there. All our TDs are mere teachers, auctioneers, solicitors and god knows what else.Oh I see the senior civil servants who negotiated there cuts recently run this country. Protect what is yours people. Protect I say!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement