Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boqueria Restaurant?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Got a recommendation from a friend to go for tapas at Boqueria and Im thinking of going there for Valentines day.

Is it a good place to eat and what are the prices like?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I've eaten there and enjoyed it.

If you go on menupages.ie you will find and example of the menu which will give you a good idea of the prices.

I'm not sure if you can make a reservation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

As a tapas afficionado, all I can say is that the Boqueria was insanely overpriced quite expensive for what you get. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the food, but 110+ quid for tapas for 3 (and a half) plus a real smart-aleck waiter meant I wasn't in too much of a hurry to return.

Mind you that was a while ago now so maybe things have changed... let us know how you get on!

Edit: I see that www.menupages.ie lists the Boqueria as 'cheap eats' and looking at their menu, it doesn't seem as expensive as I remember. Maybe I'm going daft in my dotage. Or maybe it was the ould vino collapso :o
    And PS: if they have pulpo (octopus), you should definitely give it a try. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

turly wrote: »
    As a tapas afficionado, all I can say is that the Boqueria was insanely overpriced quite expensive for what you get.

I came in here to post the exact same thing! I was there a few years back and I haven't returned because of their over inflated price. Food is quite night but portions are far too small for the prices they are charging.

On a side note, the Market Bar (just off Georges St) in Dublin does great Tapas, excellent value for money!

Does any know of other Tapas restaurants in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Have eaten there recently and really enjoyed the night-friendly staff & lovely food. Menu & prices changed for the better since I ate there last year. Only downside was a reduced wine list. Will definately return.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I had the same experience a couple of years ago. Indifferent food I thought, at silly prices, plus so-so service.

The downsrairs bar (4get the name) of Silk Purse across the road from City Hall does delicious, reasonably priced tapas for lunch. They usually have a choice of soups too and they are FAB! At this time of the year, meaty, thick n lotsa root veggies! Pure heaven.

If I'm in the city around lunchtime I treat myself by heading there.

Dunno anywhere else that does authentic tapas at proper prices TBH, mores the pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I went there with two others just before Christmas - four tapas between us, a dessert each, bottle of really nice red, three or four cocktails between us (ok, just for me :o but I didn't have wine! :pac:), couple of soft drinks, a coffee... bill came to about €100, which is about average I thought.

Thought the food was really good and the staff lovely. Nice buzz in there too - not the place for a quiet meal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

Max001 wrote: »

The downsrairs bar (4get the name) of Silk Purse across the road from City Hall does delicious, reasonably priced tapas for lunch. They usually have a choice of soups too and they are FAB! At this time of the year, meaty, thick n lotsa root veggies! Pure heaven.

Totally agree, went there, An Cruibin, once and would def recommend it over Boqueria.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I came in here to post the exact same thing! I was there a few years back and I haven't returned because of their over inflated price. Food is quite night but portions are far too small for the prices they are charging.

On a side note, the Market Bar (just off Georges St) in Dublin does great Tapas, excellent value for money!

Does any know of other Tapas restaurants in Cork?

Aside from Cruibin, which is brilliant, Gusto on Washington St does tapas on Thurs-Sat. I've seen the menu and it looks very reasonable and quite varied. Haven't gone in there myself though, so can't verify quality! :D Anyone been?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As far as I know there is a new Tapas bar in the Eyysian tower as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Miaireland wrote: »
    As far as I know there is a new Tapas bar in the Eyysian tower as well.

Oh yeah, El Vino. Heard mixed reviews about that place. I've been to the one in Douglas, which is ok, but not that great food-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Went to Il Vino for a 30th - thought the tapas were excellent. Yeah the food in An Crúibin is also fantastic. Gets mental busy though.

Advertisement