Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Oral help

Options
  • 08-02-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I got my French Oral (mock) on Thursday and I'm dreading it. I made essays on most of the different topics, including a document, and I just need to learn it all off, but I know nerves will get the better of me. There is a good chance I will go in and my mind will go completly blank.

Any tips on learning it off, and preventing the nerves getting the best of you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I <3 the french oral (not the irish one though!) Your teacher will know if you have learnt material off so if you're going to, be careful because they could ask you anything. I'd say just keep practising and speaking french whenever you can and if you don't know how to say something try to phrase it a different way. When you're used to talking french you'll find it easier in the exam and you'll (hopefully) be less nervous and more confident. As for learning off things i'd record myself saying it and listen all of the time, it really works. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

I had my oral today, nerves got the best of me and it was painfully obvious. Spend far too much time going uhhh and ehhh, be careful about what you mention. After your name, age etc... you can really lead where the conversation goes. So don't say the last movie you saw was 'Wall-E'. He asked me to describe it and I said it was 'un film sur un petit robot qui tombe d'amouroux et va en un adventure en espace'.

Try and stay on the topics you feel strong in, but don't keep going back to one in particular, have a few strong areas. If they ask you what you did last weekend and you feel strong about reading; feel free to digress. The opposite is much worse, just giving the minimal and having the examiner drag the answers out of you.

Bon chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Oral:D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Oral:D

You filthy person ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Rossie17 wrote: »
    You filthy person ;)

I know, i know..

But seriously just stick to topics that you know best and if you are asked an awkward question just talyor the answer to suit what you have already learned.

the key is to bring the topic back to what you want to talk about, I did it 5 years ago and i just had the same stories/answers for both the irish and french oral

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

mercury127 wrote: »
    I had my oral today, nerves got the best of me and it was painfully obvious. Spend far too much time going uhhh and ehhh, be careful about what you mention. After your name, age etc... you can really lead where the conversation goes. So don't say the last movie you saw was 'Wall-E'. He asked me to describe it and I said it was 'un film sur un petit robot qui tombe d'amouroux et va en un adventure en espace'.

Try and stay on the topics you feel strong in, but don't keep going back to one in particular, have a few strong areas. If they ask you what you did last weekend and you feel strong about reading; feel free to digress. The opposite is much worse, just giving the minimal and having the examiner drag the answers out of you.

Bon chance.
    At least it's just the mocks.

How was the atmosphere during it and did the time drag by? If you used a document, what questions were you asked?

Mine were a couple of weeks ago and i got some iffy questions like if you were to get married what would your life be like and what type of person would you get married to. Just a heads up because i wasn't ready for that! You can direct the conversation what ever way you like because if you don't like a certain topic you can just say you arn't interested in it and are more interested in another topic. Once you say it in french they can't take marks off you because you're communicating. The time flies by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

^ what the hell marriage? Better learn how to say "education comes first" or something vague like that.

Seriously though, I'm dreading the real oral French exam. >_< Hopefully I'll do some work over the midterm...

Also, how long roughly is the oral exam? 10?15 minutes?

Bit off topic but anybody know a good way to study for the Aural?
    Should I start doing things like, listening to the cd 20 mins a day, writing down important vocab etc.?

I literrally spoke french for a whole day (except in classes in school obv) but at home and my parents thought i was mad. If you don't know how to say something look it up and then try to say it a different way. My french book Bien Dit was also really helpful. I went through every chapter of that and tried to talk my through it, out loud so i got used to saying it.
    As for getting married I just said it was a very difficult question, I hadn't thought much about because i'm very young. I have my whole life ahead of me and getting married is a big decision. I want to enjoy life etc and then something about guys with a good personalility, fun to be with and all that. It came from nowhere really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Yes Bien Dit is an excellent book. That's a very useful response you got there, I can see it being (at least parts of it) being used in a lot of different questions. :)

How do you say I have my whole life ahead of me and getting married is a big decision?

• Advertisement

I could be completely wrong here, really havn't thought about french since last week when i did my mock because i had my oral weeks ago. I think it's something along the lines of J'ai ma vie entière en avance de moi et Je pense que le mariage est une grande décision.

Advertisement