Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New party?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

What would it take for a new party to be set up in this country? A party that could/would compete for every seat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

A bald headed psychopath full of lies and some dodgy shadow financing, coupled with a few pro-life nutjobs and hey presto, you have a new party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

What would it take for a new party to be set up in this country? A party that could/would compete for every seat.

A party that could really compete for every seat is inconceivable really - there's too wide a range of political beliefs for that to occur.

But a party that could compete for a majority, from the get go....hard to know. An utterly massive scandal that wreaked havoc on the major parties perhaps - but it would need to be of epic proportions, frankly. In that it would need to expose every TD as a baby killing, blood drinking alien out to enslave us all, and even then a good chunk of people would keep voting along party lines, with the phrase "Ah sure, the other lot would probably be worse." I know that's a ridiculous statement I'm making, but I think it illustrates the point.

Time is the only thing. A new party would have to start off relatively small, and hope to grow with new generations. Maybe with some new ideas, perhaps a radical approach to some things, and they'd have to walk the tightrope of avoiding coalition with FF (the kiss of death), while still trying to make enough of an impact to keep their support base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

There have been a few new parties announced in the past year or so:

http://www.amhrannua.com/

http://www.liberals.ie/ (though are they a party or just a pressure group?)

http://forth.ie/index.php/content/article/new_irish_political_party_seeks_to_make_impact_before_2012/#axzz0ezMaptWl

Though whether or not they'll make any real impact (they all seem to be going for a sort of liberal/progressive voter) has yet to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Sulmac wrote: »

I think they refer to themselves as a "public advocacy group", but I'm not entirely sure. I also think that a fair few of them are former YPD members, but again, not 100% sure on that.

Edit: Actually there's a poster here (The Minister maybe?) who is a member, they'll be able to tell more.

I think liberals.ie put up Yes posters for Lisbon 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The first question should probably be: What (policies) should a new party represent? After all, there should be a reason for voters to vote for the new party...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We don't need a party we need a movement, the whole system needs to be dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Thats pretty much what amhrannua wants to do, change the electoral system and give more power, and accountability, at a local level

liberals.ie is simply a holding page at this point - has been for a long time. Emailed for more details but nothing was forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well amhrannua need to do a better job of engaging people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

simonj wrote: »
    Thats pretty much what amhrannua wants to do, change the electoral system and give more power, and accountability, at a local level

wasn't that the PDs policies? and the Greens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Rb wrote: »
    A bald headed psychopath full of lies and some dodgy shadow financing, coupled with a few pro-life nutjobs and hey presto, you have a new party.

You forgot closeted nationalism and Orwellian newspeak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

MikeC101 wrote: »
    But a party that could compete for a majority, from the get go....hard to know. An utterly massive scandal that wreaked havoc on the major parties perhaps - but it would need to be of epic proportions, frankly. In that it would need to expose every TD as a baby killing, blood drinking alien out to enslave us all, and even then a good chunk of people would keep voting along party lines, with the phrase "Ah sure, the other lot would probably be worse." I know that's a ridiculous statement I'm making, but I think it illustrates the point.

Sounds like an email to David Icke is in order. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Right...

Like the "Irish People's Movement" there a couple of months ago. They prematurely ejaculated, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

deadtiger wrote: »
    We don't need a party we need a movement, the whole system needs to be dismantled.

Do we? Why? People vote for the existing political parties because they choose to do so. Shoud a new one appear they might choose to vote for them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Originally Posted by Sulmac viewpost.gif

Are "The Liberals" not just a group of ex PDs who huddle around relics of St. Michael de Ranelagh and bitch about Fianna Fáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

rubensni wrote: »
    wasn't that the PDs policies? and the Greens?

PDs were genetically modified FF, Dessie throwing a tantrum.
    Greens have been a real dissappointment, but thats to me more members of the parliamentary party and executive than a lot of the people in it

Advertisement