Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoped by a Garda for driving my friends English Reg Car and now hes telling revenue

• 08-02-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Got pulled over by the cops in south dublin, he pulled me over because I was driving a UK reg car, Not my car its my mates car who is from northern Ireland.

I droped him to the airport so i got the lend of his car for a few days, im a named driver on his insurance so I taught thats me covered and i be ok to drive his car. But the garda told me as I'm from the south i cant drive it at all.

I know if i bought a uk reg car and it was mine i need to pay the VRT which is fine but this car is not mine its registered to my friend with a northern adress and is taxed, Mot and fully insured.

The garda told me he would be passing my details to revenue:confused: I'm bit worred now aslo his coleague opened the boot with out even asking can he have a look!! can they just open the boot for a look around with out telling me or askin am i fine with getting searched!!! Anyone know can i still drive it or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You aren't allowed driver foreign registered cars here on less you are on your way to the VRT office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You're not? Realy? Link? (Not doubting, just seems a bit mad so I wanna read it. Thanks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I don't have a link but I was in the district court when an Irish citizen was convicted of driving a foreign registered car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

PS: is this a debate between moderaters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Move to motors maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I don't have a link but I was in the district court when an Irish citizen was convicted of driving a foreign registered car.

Do you have the whole story? Surely I'm allowed drive a foreign registered car if someones here on holidays or something etc etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Move to motors maybe?

No you're fine thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I guess, if you are a named driver, it suggests that this is ongoing use of a northern registered car.

Of course, if you just got on his insurance for the few days you were borrowing it while he was out of the country then that would be a bit more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

PoleStar wrote: »
    I guess, if you are a named driver, it suggests that this is ongoing use of a northern registered car.

Of course, if you just got on his insurance for the few days you were borrowing it while he was out of the country then that would be a bit more believable.

I always been a named driver on his car and I always drive it in belfast when im there never drive it in the south, it was my first day to drive it in the south going home from the airport, also my mate who comes down the odd weekend for a night out cant drive his car in peace around Dublin as the cops pull him everytime and just grill him for no reason at all.

Also the cops never checked me for ID, they were to busy telling me what a and I quote "stupid F**ker for driving around in such a powerfull car and how they wouldn't like to be putting juice in it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is an extract from an official Revenue leaflet on Foreign Registered Vehicles:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/zero-rating.html

Private Use

2. What Conditions Apply

Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:

The vehicle must have been acquired with all the appropriate taxes paid and these must not have been exempted or refunded in any way. The standard registration plates in use in the domestic market of a country are normally accepted as evidence of this.

The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.

There are slightly different rules that apply if the vehicle is brought into the country for commercial reasons, but they don't apply in this case.

It seems perfectly clear - a local resident may not drive his mate's car in this jurisdiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The OP was clearly at fault here, fortunately they didn't seize the car. However if they stop him again and they already heard of this then they won't hesitate seizing the vehicle. The only case where you might be able to blag your way was if you were bringing the car to the airport for the friend, and the flight was imminent. If there is any sense that you are using it for your own purposes then you are doing do illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

that is a lot of bull...

in this case the driver is an Irish citizen, what would happen if it wasn't Irish citizen?

what if it would be a polish driver driving uk mate's car? what law would apply then?

I can see that as a loophole, seems to me Irish people are discriminated, as if it would be somebody foreign gards wouldn't have a case

am I right?

with all that EU crap it's becoming less and less clear who is native and who is foreign and there seems to be more and more confusion about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It doesn't matter what citizenship you hold, it is a question of where you live. If you are normally resident in the ROI then you must drive a ROI registered car.

Advertisement