Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on selling car

• 08-02-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi just looking for some general advice really
    Want to sell my car went to a garage and was offered €6000 but
    On cbg same year car selling for between €8000 & €9500 so as you can see big difference so my question is how do I go about this
    Is there anything I should know I really am clueless about this and would be grateful for any advice from test drive to payment?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What car is it?
    What engine/spec?
    What year is it? etc etc

Are you trading in your car to buy something different? Or are you trying to just sell the car for cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

vw fox 08 1.2

selling for cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is not as straight forward as that.

First of all what someone asks for and what they actually get for can be miles apart. Somebody going in with cash (no trade-in) can expect to buy an €8000 car for alot less than that. Also dealers have to service, valet and possibly fix things on the car before selling it on. They then have to give a warranty with the car that a private seller doesn't offer.

What you are being offered as a trade-in also depends on what you are trading it in against so the trade-in value of your car is not an accurate indication of what it is worth. For example, you may get a trade-in value of €10k against a €20k car by one dealer but are allowed only €8k against a similar car costing €17k at another dealership. So the only price that matters when trading up is the cost to change price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

honey79 wrote: »
    ..vw fox 08 1.2
    .....€9500

(((:eek:)))

The garage is being quite decent by giving you €6000 for it if you are selling for cash, you must be a pretty lady :D

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone all advice appreciated
    Just hadn't a clue think it's back to the garage for me

You could of course try and sell it privately and see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have to say, i'm surprised that a dealer would offer you that much for it. Seeing the price of a new panda with the scrappage scheme, brings it to around 7000~. I really wonder if you'd get much better selling privately, i wouldn't consider a vw fox a saught after motor.

yeah i know it was an expensive mistake that i won't make again paid just over 12 for it 2 years ago

rover james : that's what i was thinking but don't might just have a rethink on it thanks as i said i'm cluless on the whole thing so thanks again everyone

Few quick photos and lash it up on donedeal.ie for €3, ask for €7500 and see how it goes, anything over €6000 and you're better than what the garage or offering. The garage offer may well not last though.

• Advertisement

yeah true sure for the sake of €3 its worth a shot and if nothing happens can always go back to garage and smile nicely :D

Advertisement